Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 01:36 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
""""So if they are being discriminated against, maybe they'll understand what it's like to have been discriminated against for many groups.""

Now, read it slowly...then think.......
That'll teach them, those evil rotten disgusting vile men, too bad we can't make them into slaves for 2000 years, that would really teach'em huh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Never said that, but being discriminated against develops a trait called "empathy," which is never a bad thing.
So if I were to tell blacks or women to shut their pie holes and quit moaning about being discriminated against, it helps develop empathy?

Ok women, blacks, asians, muslims, whatever... shut your pie holes and quit moaning about the white male dominance of the globe.

Feeling more empathetic?

(ps that was tongue and cheek)

Old 11-27-2010, 01:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
So if I were to tell blacks or women to shut their pie holes and quit moaning about being discriminated against, it helps develop empathy?

Ok women, blacks, asians, muslims, whatever... shut your pie holes and quit moaning about the white male dominance of the globe.

Feeling more empathetic?
LOL, I don't recall telling anyone to shut their pie hole.

But if there is one thing I've learned, being a woman (and becoming invisible at a certain age - not to mention my value as a baby making machine is gone) and having disabilities (and attendant discrimination against me) has given me a certain appreciation for the struggles of those who have had to overcome prejudices or adversity. This, in turn, has led to a greater empathy on my part for those who struggle with many things.

Quote:
(ps that was tongue and cheek)
No worries.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I don't think the real man is in any immediate danger of extinction, except through the fantasy and narrow lens of the very liberal media hypes. The American male no doubt too busy building, inventing, discovering, to be concerned with the twitter of the whiners, whose frenzied psyches dwell solely on all the supposed "ills" and "evils" of testosterone.
One of the more interesting things that came out in 'the gender role discussions' was that among middle aged women, and men to a lesser extent, there was for many a desire to return to more traditional gender roles, or at the very least, better defined ones.

However, most of the women who took part were from the south and a few from California, so I would have to take that into account as regional views certainly play a part.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:51 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,936 times
This thread is funny.. On the one side you have people saying, "that will teach them, they did this or that for 200 years.."

At the same time I'm a male and I've never oppressed anyone, never had slaves, never hit a woman, etc... But for some reason there are groups that want to teach me a lesson for stuff I've never done to anyone.

That's like being prejudiced against Germans because they are from the same country that the Nazi's came from, Or Japanese people because of WWII.

People do learn from mistakes of the past, and society has developed since those days, so please don't tell me I can't be proud of my heritage because it isn't "politically correct"..

Old 11-27-2010, 01:57 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,387 times
Delta Airlines recently hired 300 pilots to fly their heavy jets. Of the pilots hired, a disproportionate amount were of the female gender. Experience was apparently not important because the girls had significantly less than their male counterparts.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Delta Airlines recently hired 300 pilots to fly their heavy jets. Of the pilots hired, a disproportionate amount were of the female gender. Experience was apparently not important because the girls had significantly less than their male counterparts.
Maybe to balance out the disproportionate number of female flight attendants?

Old 11-27-2010, 02:04 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
This thread is funny.. On the one side you have people saying, "that will teach them, they did this or that for 200 years.."

At the same time I'm a male and I've never oppressed anyone, never had slaves, never hit a woman, etc... But for some reason there are groups that want to teach me a lesson for stuff I've never done to anyone.

That's like being prejudiced against Germans because they are from the same country that the Nazi's came from, Or Japanese people because of WWII.

People do learn from mistakes of the past, and society has developed since those days, so please don't tell me I can't be proud of my heritage because it isn't "politically correct"..

It is funny (ha ha) in a way, as this is an old and hackneyed issue, and you would surmise most adults had thought it all through, figured it all out, by now. There are some poor souls who need to keep their "old wounds" fresh and open, as it serves a useful purpose...keeping one from getting on with and facing life with all its ups and downs, injustices, ugliness, hurts, etc. Usually stuff you start to learn in kindergarten (isn't there a book on that?).

Old 11-27-2010, 02:09 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Maybe to balance out the disproportionate number of female flight attendants?
Flawed logic... stewardesses don't have the aptitude to be airline pilots. Otherwise they would go to college, learn to fly and gain decades of experience before climbing into the cockpit like the veterans before them. That's what you get when you drop a couple of hundred on a plane ticket....the safest, most experienced professional at the controls. Maybe Delta will lower their prices now that they've compromised safety by not hiring the most experienced pilots available.

Last edited by amerifree; 11-27-2010 at 02:25 PM..

Old 11-27-2010, 02:14 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
A perfect example of what goes around eventually comes around.

Would you like a hankee?
What's sad is this isn't even the generation of "White Boys" that did this and they must pay?? How kind of you, to want too get along!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies