Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 PM

290 posts, read 176,468 times

Advertisements

Public school: Prison for patriots | The Daily Caller

Good article. anyone care to comment,especially people who have been through public school then were home schooled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,837,761 times
Did you create this thread to direct traffic to that website?

PS. I wish the moderators would kill ANY thread that doesn't include a personal take on a subject, followed by a link (if necessary).

Old 05-15-2012, 03:09 PM

290 posts, read 176,468 times
No I created it because I thought the article was interesting. I said I liked the article that is a personal take on it.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:13 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,196,152 times
I've yet to meet a homeschooler who wasn't "off" in some way or other. It does not produce socially well-adjusted people.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,074,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

PS. I wish the moderators would kill ANY thread that doesn't include a personal take on a subject, followed by a link (if necessary).
Well at least links that work.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
I've yet to meet a homeschooler who wasn't "off" in some way or other. It does not produce socially well-adjusted people.
I agree, homeschoolers are always just a little weird. They make me think of the movie Blast from the Past with Brendan Frasier where he played the character that had been locked in the bomb shelter with his parents for a long time. I have also found that they don't have the skills to deal with the diversity of thought they will find in the real world. You don't get a good result when you shelter a child away from everyone that doesn't agree 100% with the parent's worldview during their critical formative years.

These same reasons are why many employers have a policy against hiring anybody that was homeschooled.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:34 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,196,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I have also found that they don't have the skills to deal with the diversity of thought they will find in the real world. You don't get a good result when you shelter a child away from everyone that doesn't agree 100% with the parent's worldview during their critical formative years.
Yeah the school I went to for undergrad was pretty popular with homeschoolers and most of them wound up not being able to handle the sudden freedom. Several I know developed real bad drug problems, a couple I spent considerable time and resources trying to help. It's probably fine for someone who's going to go from the home environment to somewhere where your life is going to be as tightly managed such as the military, but just dumping kids out in the real world all willy-nilly and forcing them to develop a new support structure without the skills to do so is just setting them up for failure.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:45 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,538,973 times
I know alot of home schooled kids organize various trips and other activities for each other where I live, and then most of these more structured home schooled kids go on to private, or otherwise top notch public schools, to gain the extra curricular activities and social development in high school and preparation for college.

Of course, there is no guarantee you will get a better education when home schooled, and during those formative teen years, enrollment in high school is what the better parents opt for for their children.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,077,244 times
Public schools in America (with FEW exceptions) have become breeding grounds for degeneracy, drug use, gang initiations, disrespect and increasingly ignorant kids

Proceed carefully

As breakup of the family continues in earnest, a parent increasingly looks to the public school as a tool to raise the child.... it ain't working

Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,642,546 times
I don't have many complaints about the public schools I attended. I certainly don't think they were hostile to religious or patriotic kids - at least a couple of the extracurricular groups were religious in nature, and we had a JROTC chapter.

Public schools tend to be reflections of the communities around them. No more and no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies