Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Obviously most of you have little understanding of the corporate world. CEO,s do not purchase their own cars, they use company cars at company expense. They do not pay for their meals, company credit card. Many live in housing paid for by the company. They use company money to support their lavish lifestyles while banking their income. They avoid high personal income tax rates by taking the majority of their compensation in the form of stock options, and pay the lower capital gains rate. The argument that taxes are passed on to consumers as higher prices is absurd. Corporate profits are skyrocketing and to say they have no obligation to pay their fair share of taxes is asinine. The people are tired of the BS of the Oligarchs; it is time to start hanging them from their well manicured trees.
So basically you are just jealous that they are smarter than you?

Start your own company and write-off your personal car. CEOs are not doing anything that any average american can't also do, except you are probably too lazy to actually follow through with DOING those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Considering the fact that 95% of all new businesses fail, why sould he, or anyone else, be forced to take the bet. Besides most start ups are in the service sector where 24 hours per day are not enough and don't pay a salary or make a profit for several years.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Obviously most of you have little understanding of the corporate world. CEO,s do not purchase their own cars, they use company cars at company expense. They do not pay for their meals, company credit card. Many live in housing paid for by the company. They use company money to support their lavish lifestyles while banking their income. They avoid high personal income tax rates by taking the majority of their compensation in the form of stock options, and pay the lower capital gains rate. The argument that taxes are passed on to consumers as higher prices is absurd. Corporate profits are skyrocketing and to say they have no obligation to pay their fair share of taxes is asinine. The people are tired of the BS of the Oligarchs; it is time to start hanging them from their well manicured trees.
You do realize that expenses are also taxable and that the IRS is pretty strict on that subject.

Having spent 25+ years as an auditor, mostly on large cap corporations, and having contact with many in the "C" suite in that time, your characterization of their life style is rather fanciful. Most CEOs, in my experience, were pretty down to earth, drive their own cars, live in their own homes and more likely to be found in the cafeteria at lunch than in a fancy restaurant.

That corporations take action to minimize their taxes is indisputable and I could give plenty of examples of some of the machinations used. But your argument would be stronger if you took the personal animosity out of it and dealt in facts.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So basically you are just jealous that they are smarter than you?

Start your own company and write-off your personal car. CEOs are not doing anything that any average american can't also do, except you are probably too lazy to actually follow through with DOING those things.
Bingo!!!

However, about the personal car.

It is better NOT to write one vehicle off.

Just the costs of that one vehicle.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Considering the fact that 95% of all new businesses fail, why sould he, or anyone else, be forced to take the bet. Besides most start ups are in the service sector where 24 hours per day are not enough and don't pay a salary or make a profit for several years.
Better yet for write offs....

Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So now we are punishing a CEO because he took a risk, became on of those 5% and is successful?

No one is forcing anyone to take that bet, but there are rewards for doing that. People who risk more are rewarded with more when they succeed. Obviously.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,763 times
Quote:
My paperboy (man) writes off his car , do you hate him to?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:33 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
The next time someone tries to tell you the rich are paying their fair share, reconcile that with the statistics.

Corporate income - 19 Trillion Dollars
Private income - 12 Trillion Dollars
Amount of Federal income received from Corporate tax - 12%
Amount of Federal income received from Private tax - 45%
Amount of Federal income received from Payroll Tax - 36% (½ of Payroll tax paid by employees.)

Total private - 63%
Total corporate - 30%

Now you know why the government is in debt, and the Corporate CEO’s are living like kings.

If you think the Federal numbers are bad, you should see the State figures.
Dude CEO's don't own the corporations they work for, the shareholders do. The CEO's make their salaries as individuals, and individuals get taxed. The CEO's pay their "fair" share during tax season. By the way, something that's been bothering me lately, who are we to determine what is someone else's "fair share?"

Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Who supports the gambler while he is taking the risk? What gives him the right to take his family down to economic oblivion with him? I supported me and family with savings and folded before I owed people money. It was an interesting experience but I would not do it again using my own money.

I had my own business and I could not deduct the cost of the car, but I could deduct operating expenses. I used the allowable rate per mile.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Every dime of corporate tax is collected from customers of corporations. A corporate tax is a hidden tax paid by the people. If we abolished corporate tax entirely, the whole economy would boom and everybody would be better off. But that doesn't fit the pet theories of the class warriors.

The points made by Mogal and PHGQ are also good ones.
Or the CEOs would just vote themselves multi-million $$$ raises and nothing else would change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies