Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,336,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Glad you have an understanding of Greek.

The vast majority of folks that use "Xmas" instead of "Christmas" are just avowing that they don't want Christ associated with their holiday and/or to keep the connotation of religion/faith toned down. That's why most people say Merry Xmas...not because they are celebrating the X (chi) as the official syntachtical representation alluding to Jesus Christ.
Yeah, Christ was a bum, and everyone knows it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 05:38 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,582,114 times
Happy holidays to everyone!!! Have a good one!!

Old 12-04-2010, 05:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Happy holidays to everyone!!! Have a good one!!

And Merry Christmas to you too!

Old 12-04-2010, 05:43 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,582,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And Merry Christmas to you too!
It's not Christmas. It's December 4th last time I checked. I know you're obsessed with your religion but your fake holiday isn't here.

All I can say is I hope you get better soon.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
It's not Christmas. It's December 4th last time I checked. I know you're obsessed with your religion but your fake holiday isn't here.

All I can say is I hope you get better soon.
Christmas is not a "fake" holiday.

And, it is the Christmas Holiday season. Wishing someone "Merry Christmas" is a wonderful tradition in this joyous season.

I'm not "obsessed" with "my" religion as you suggest - even though you try to slam others for being religious.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:57 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,336,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Christmas is not a "fake" holiday.

And, it is the Christmas Holiday season. Wishing someone "Merry Christmas" is a wonderful tradition in this joyous season.

I'm not "obsessed" with "my" religion as you suggest - even though you try to slam others for being religious.
Germans are colder than the noose on an iceberg, until the exact time the bells ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlf---13Q0g

Old 12-04-2010, 06:01 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,182,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Lol. You know why they chose the letter X, and not the letter Y or Z? Because X looks like a cross. Like Jesus Christ hanging on the cross.

I don't see how "Xmas" takes the "Christ" out of "Christmas." I'd agree with you if it were Ymas or Zmas, but it's Xmas for that very reason.
That may be, but also the X is used frequently as a Greek CH sound. I have a friend that spells his name Christos in the USA and Xristos in Greece.

But I 100% agree that no one is trying to take Christ out of Christmas.

We have this same "sky is falling" over-reaction every year when anyone says Happy Holidays.

I don't understand why they have so much trouble with this.
When wishing someone ELSE a greeting what difference is it what holiday YOU celebrate?

Thus- 'Happy holidays' covers any holiday that other person might be celebrating.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:03 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,182,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
^^^^^^^^^^All the above is ridiculous, in my opinion^^^^^^^^^^
I am with you.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:03 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I've never heard a Jewish or Muslim person complain about people saying "Merry Christmas." Most of the complainers tend to be former Christians turned atheist or agnostic.
Actually most of the complainers are the ones (Christians) who get a burr under their saddle when anyone says anything other than "Merry Christmas" Most of the rest of us could care less, even if you say happy festivus....

Old 12-04-2010, 06:05 PM

146 posts, read 444,644 times
Exclamation Look at What My Local City Hall Did...

http://north-olmsted.com/Holiday%20T...ing%202010.pdf

"HOLIDAYS" is mentioned so many times. Its obvious they mean CHRISTMAS, but they are too afraid to admit it.

And dont even start with seperations of church and state...

Separation Of Church And State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies