Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:47 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,299 times

Advertisements

Mine is to get out of debt while I still can (only 3,000 but I'm unemployed)
Start saving money.
Convince a loved one to go south with me.
Get some work and live happily ever after.

I think a plan is based on rather you expect the economy to get better or worse in '11. I think it will get worse but pray not.

Anyone stocking up on food while it's cheap? Or gold or weapons or trying to buy land?

Anyone putting their savings into the stock market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 11:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Food is going to get very expensive.
If gas goes up then many other imported goods will get more expensive.

I always keep a stocked pantry, grow my veggies, have chickens and buy my meat local.
I'm gambling right now in the stock market.."investment" is not applicable to Wall Street today.
Figure I can make some money if I follow the tail of the big boyz which I have so far.
Debt is all paid off except for a small balance on a mortgage which should be paid off mid 2011.

Financially..I'm living on less and have cut back.."just in case".

Nah..this recession is not over by a long shot. We're just stumbling along (hopefully at bottom) and holding our own.
Might be the longest "L" shaped recovery in history. OR..just maybe this is the recovery; maybe this is the new American economic model.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:59 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Default What's your game-plan for 2011 ?

Run and hide - I think I've said too much.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:06 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
I will be expanding my vegetable garden, although not because I fear the future. I just enjoy growing a portion of my family's food.

Otherwise, life for me will proceed much the same as it did last year and the year before. Honestly, folks, if you chart your course appropriately in the very beginning, there is no need to make anything other than the most minor of adjustments to stay on track.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 12-05-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Will ask my Son where and when i should invest some money, he is an expert. I plan on sticking to a budget, with the new additions we spent more then anticipated, buying new furniture, crown moudlings, chandeliers, custom cabinetry, granite, tile, bronze faucets, towel holders etc, Now time to get back on track. Planning on spending more time with the Grandchildren. The newly built 3 car garage also will get some use, we will be making vintage lamps again, and selling them, and also making huge vending machines into wine cabinets, and selling them, husband can and does do everything. Will watch my spending.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 PM

30,069 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Start saving money.

I think a plan is based on rather you expect the economy to get better or worse in '11. I think it will get worse but pray not.

Anyone stocking up on food while it's cheap? Or gold or weapons or trying to buy land?

Get up
Go to work
Come home
Go to bed

The same thing I do every year. I already have plenty of gold, stocked food, guns, ammunition, and land. However, I would offer that if one needed such things for survival, perhaps death would be more welcome.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Start saving money.

1. Continue to trade the currency markets

2. Make more investments in emerging market nations commidities and look for small cutting edge corporations that offer a unique product or service.

3. Start to seriously look for other places to live than the United States.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 PM

565 posts, read 486,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Start to seriously look for other places to live than the United States.
Where are you heading to ?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:17 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Shifting my investments to heavier on commodities and leaner on equities.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:18 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Well, I'll be 33. I always said I would retire at 35, and I plan to stick to it. So I'm going to start the process of deciding upon the person who will run my company for me full-time (presently have 3 partially running it as I work in the private sector now). I'll be moving my investment strategy to less volatile equities that have limited downside. I just bought the house I'll be settling down in, so there are major renovations in store for it as I convert it from someone else's vision to my own. It's simply too new to tear down and build all over again.

Other than that? Get out of bed, breathe in and out, go to sleep, interesting stuff in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies