Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:11 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
but most people who try to start their own business fail.
Employers love hanging onto that line - keeps the employee in line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Sorry your life has been hell, but starting your own business is a high risk, high reward endeavor. If you make it, you can make it big, but most people who try to start their own business fail. This is one of the reasons I laugh when people on this forum tell unemployed people to start their own business.
Dont misunderstand me, I dont consider my life hell. I'm rather lucky considering where I started out. I was taken from my parents home when I was 1, I spent 16 years in foster care, blah blah blah (yes, it would make a great book), but all of my lifes problems have made me stronger and wanting to work harder.

I agree with your comment about telling people not to become self employed. Its much easier said than done, which is what gets my goat when people sit here moaning and groaning about how we are stealing from society even though we've lived and sacrificed for years with nothing.

Of course being self employed has its risks but so does working for others, joining the military, even depending on welfare/Social Security. Every choice you have in life has their own risk vs reward. Its risky to go into debt to obtain a college degree for example. But that doesnt mean people shouldnt do it.

Rather than moaning and groaning about the problems life has thrown out at you, i.e. people, not you directly, ask yourself what are you going to do about it? I remember having to go to the local community colleges gym everyday to get a shower to go look for a job because I had no running water. I remember times when I froze in the middle of winter because I had no heat. I remember my boss at one of my jobs discovering that I wore the same pair of pants for a week because it was the only pair of pants I owned at the time. People have problems in life and complaining about them wont solve them. Maybe its because I've hit rock bottom that I was able to "bounce" back but thats taken decades of sacrifice with zero income.

Are people unemployed responsible for being unemployed. No, but are they responsible for needing 3-4 years of unemployment? Absolutely. How many people in america dont have a pot to **** in because they've spent every dime they've ever earned? My mother in law, almost 80 years old, worked her whole life, and owns absolutely not a dam thing..

Its sad that so many others in america run around blaming others for their own situation. Its sad that so many people think they are entitled to what others have. For the life of me growing up, when my foster mother would go to the welfare office and pickup her monthly block of cheese, her box of powdered milk, and jar of peanut butter, I was embarassed.. How far we've come in 30 years where not only do people get checks, food, heat, housing, electricity, medical, and a cell phone as they walk out the door, but they are complaining for more and then calling people names for wanting to put some type of limit on it.

My internet company is now starting to get back to the point that it can self operate without someone needing to babysit it, (which is how I spend so much time here. In theory I guess I could be off on some boat somewhere, but I dont trust that things work smoothly so I sit here just waiting for the servers etc to break.. ) but this has taken me 10 years to get functional and profitable. There isnt a chance in the world people are "entitled" to a share of my profits. They didnt sacrafice so why should they think they should profit?

Sorry to be going off on a tangent but I really wonder where this nation has gone so wrong so fast. When did people think they are entitled to be supported and then villify those doing the supporting for not doing enough.. Maybe if individuals here on cd would stop villifying individuals like me, who worked decades to make something and start to appreciate the struggles that many of us go through to keep food on the table until times get better I wouldnt be such a hard a$$. Growing up I was taught to be thankful for everything I had, and we had very little. I wouldnt for a second think of looking towards my neighbor (who I found out decades later owned a company which employed tens of thousands, and a market cap of almost $1B, but still lived in a $50K home) and thinking they should support us..

On a final note, many here dont have a clue about how the rich live. Its obvious by the "get the rich, tax the hell outta them" mentality, and they lump all of us together. They dont truly understand how the rich can go decades with money tied up that wouldnt be taxed even if the tax rate was 100%... I've heard of one investment which was for 100 years.. No matter what the tax rate, that guys money isnt being touched period. To lump the hard working entrepreneurs in with these people with the "tax the rich" mentality is just foolish.. Many of us dont want anyone to suffer, but clearly the answer isnt looking for the government to solve your problem.. I would think after 2 years of being on the unemployment lines, you'd know this..

Last edited by pghquest; 12-09-2010 at 03:46 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 03:27 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Don't make your problem, my problem.

I have and have had choices to make to get where I am now.

I have not made any money in 3 months, because work is really slow right now.
I wish they would do away with all unemployment benefits, or at least cut them back to one month only. There is no incentive to bust a move, if you have cash flow. If you cannot think fast in times like this, you will become extinct. Go get a job, or create your own.

Your going to lose your home either way. You might as well move to a State where there is prosperity for you and a new start on life.
I'm thinking it's easier to pick up and go if you are single. In the case of married couples, they probably need the spouse's income.

I also believe that at 2 years of unemployment, it needs to be switched over to welfare.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:41 AM

180 posts, read 391,629 times
Quote:
Unemployment for more than 30 days/1 month, is more than anyone needs or should get, period!

You shouldn't get anything, but a thanks for the service.
The above statement is your typical uninformed, uneducated brainwashed post.

So many people talking the talk without walking the walk 1st......

Shame society has resorted to such a rock bottom low where the U.S. citizens refuse to take care of their own. Yes there are people that take advanatge of the system (a VERY small percentage I can guarantee you), but that goes for BOTH SIDES. Bloody Unamercan is what it is. Shame on you people !

Last edited by Gabriel.S; 12-09-2010 at 04:05 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
As an employee, you will never understand a business, any and all business is in business to make profits. The bigger profits the more successful your business is.
Business is not in business, just to give someone a job. That is a by product of a good profitable, well run business.
Employees are overhead, and take away from the profits. When profits go down, employees are let go.

This is a nation based on the merits of the individual, not the collective.
Yes I do understand that, thats why tax cuts on business doesn't mean businesses will hire. Making the most money with the least amount of employees. Again my argument that tax cuts don't create jobs is proven true again.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
OP - I am frustrated by those who are unemployed and not doing enough about it.

I am frustrated by those who seem to think sending out a few resumes is enough to find a job - 80% of white-collar jobs are found by networking rather than resumes. Let me repeat that - only 20% of available white collar jobs are posted on job sites/career fairs/etc, and still many, many unemployed people never bother to practice networking. Amazing! I am frustrated by those who are unemployed and never even try to improve their networking/information interviewing skills. I am also frustrated by those who are unemployed but put no time into finding a job. Many of us with jobs are working 70+ hours/week to remain gainfully employed. When an unemployed person puts only 30 hours/week into job hunting, it is hard for me to respect that. I am also frustrated by those who are unemployed who had no backup plan when they were employed. Job hunting doesn't end when you become employed. A person should always have a few leads for new jobs, even if they have a good one at the moment.

I don't agree with mindlessly bashing the unemployed, because there are many people who are down on their luck and are fighting like hell to find something, and I feel genuinely sorry for those people. However I really don't feel sorry for those who I described above.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:02 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Some of you people make me sick. You act like every person who is unemployed is getting some kind of enjoyment out of this horrible situation. I really never thought I would stoop to this level of wishing something bad on people who I don't even know, but being unemployed changes you. Every time I hear someone say we are lazy or milking the system it makes my blood boil. There is nothing that would please me more (other than getting a job) than to see you people lose your jobs. Maybe then you would wake up and smell the coffee.
Wow, classy post. I have been there before, being unemployed. I picked myself up and found a job. I was unemployed for nearly four months and finally had to break down and take unemployment benefits the last two weeks of it. I survived the other 3 1/2 months selling personal belongings, and on my last paycheck, etc. Oh, the kicker was I had just gotten married and my wife was pregnant. Yeah it was a stressful time.

Look, I know not all of the unemployed enjoy being out of work. I know I didn't. However, I think extended unemployment benefits only encourages staying unemployed. It gives little incentive to actively seek work. There are always exceptions I'm sure.

By the way maybe you should seek some counseling for your anger management issues.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Dont misunderstand me, I dont consider my life hell. I'm rather lucky considering where I started out. I was taken from my parents home when I was 1, I spent 16 years in foster care, blah blah blah (yes, it would make a great book), but all of my lifes problems have made me stronger and wanting to work harder.

I agree with your comment about telling people not to become self employed. Its much easier said than done, which is what gets my goat when people sit here moaning and groaning about how we are stealing from society even though we've lived and sacrificed for years with nothing.

Of course being self employed has its risks but so does working for others, joining the military, even depending on welfare/Social Security. Every choice you have in life has their own risk vs reward. Its risky to go into debt to obtain a college degree for example. But that doesnt mean people shouldnt do it.

Rather than moaning and groaning about the problems life has thrown out at you, i.e. people, not you directly, ask yourself what are you going to do about it? I remember having to go to the local community colleges gym everyday to get a shower to go look for a job because I had no running water. I remember times when I froze in the middle of winter because I had no heat. I remember my boss at one of my jobs discovering that I wore the same pair of pants for a week because it was the only pair of pants I owned at the time. People have problems in life and complaining about them wont solve them. Maybe its because I've hit rock bottom that I was able to "bounce" back but thats taken decades of sacrifice with zero income.

Are people unemployed responsible for being unemployed. No, but are they responsible for needing 3-4 years of unemployment? Absolutely. How many people in america dont have a pot to **** in because they've spent every dime they've ever earned? My mother in law, almost 80 years old, worked her whole life, and owns absolutely not a dam thing..

Its sad that so many others in america run around blaming others for their own situation. Its sad that so many people think they are entitled to what others have. For the life of me growing up, when my foster mother would go to the welfare office and pickup her monthly block of cheese, her box of powdered milk, and jar of peanut butter, I was embarassed.. How far we've come in 30 years where not only do people get checks, food, heat, housing, electricity, medical, and a cell phone as they walk out the door, but they are complaining for more and then calling people names for wanting to put some type of limit on it.

My internet company is now starting to get back to the point that it can self operate without someone needing to babysit it, (which is how I spend so much time here. In theory I guess I could be off on some boat somewhere, but I dont trust that things work smoothly so I sit here just waiting for the servers etc to break.. ) but this has taken me 10 years to get functional and profitable. There isnt a chance in the world people are "entitled" to a share of my profits. They didnt sacrafice so why should they think they should profit?

Sorry to be going off on a tangent but I really wonder where this nation has gone so wrong so fast. When did people think they are entitled to be supported and then villify those doing the supporting for not doing enough.. Maybe if individuals here on cd would stop villifying individuals like me, who worked decades to make something and start to appreciate the struggles that many of us go through to keep food on the table until times get better I wouldnt be such a hard a$$. Growing up I was taught to be thankful for everything I had, and we had very little. I wouldnt for a second think of looking towards my neighbor (who I found out decades later owned a company which employed tens of thousands, and a market cap of almost $1B, but still lived in a $50K home) and thinking they should support us..

On a final note, many here dont have a clue about how the rich live. Its obvious by the "get the rich, tax the hell outta them" mentality, and they lump all of us together. They dont truly understand how the rich can go decades with money tied up that wouldnt be taxed even if the tax rate was 100%... I've heard of one investment which was for 100 years.. No matter what the tax rate, that guys money isnt being touched period. To lump the hard working entrepreneurs in with these people with the "tax the rich" mentality is just foolish.. Many of us dont want anyone to suffer, but clearly the answer isnt looking for the government to solve your problem.. I would think after 2 years of being on the unemployment lines, you'd know this..
Excellent post.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't want just anybody to suffer, just the people who seem to take joy in our misery. And there sure are a lot of them.
I take no joy in the suffering of another. However I don't feel sorry for people very often, nor do I ask people to feel sorry for me.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Anyone that can support a political party that does not support anything but further enriching the wealthy cannot be expected to be empathetic to another's dilemma. Anyone that cannot understand nor appreciate your frustration of being labeled negatively due to an economic situation that has devestated many, has the same temperature blood running through their veins as a lizard. Hope your situation improves and I wish you luck.
Great post! And true!

Needs repeating but the tunnel-vision hate group, "We Hate Anyone Who Isn't Rich or Perfect Like Us" just won't get the message...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies