Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Of course, I snatch up the first thing I can get, instead of worrying about what the pay is going to be, or what the job is going to entail.
How un-American of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:52 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Quote:
The self employed for example get NOTHING in bad times.. But they arent here whining, why is that?

This is an example of the stupidity of the system in place,they could have paid into the program but it would have cost more than they would have received back...
You've already been given the examples of when a
self employed person can get unemployment.

It is not always sound practice to incorporate yourself
from a tax standpoint or financially: which is the only way a self employed person can pay into the unemployment system; getting incorporated.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:58 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Some of you people make me sick. You act like every person who is unemployed is getting some kind of enjoyment out of this horrible situation. I really never thought I would stoop to this level of wishing something bad on people who I don't even know, but being unemployed changes you. Every time I hear someone say we are lazy or milking the system it makes my blood boil. There is nothing that would please me more (other than getting a job) than to see you people lose your jobs. Maybe then you would wake up and smell the coffee.
Rest assured you and most unemployed people have my sympathy. Most of us have been there so do not gauge opinion from a polemic web site.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
This might come as a shock to you but there are actually jobs out there where people are paid a salary and do not have to punch in, work 8 hours a day and go home.""

Ya they work longer hours and don't get overtime

"""Expand your horizons! Not everyone works at McDonald's or in retail.
Expand your horizons...not everyone who doesn't work at McDonald's or retail is salaried. Why would you think such a silly thing???

But I must thank all the responders with their defensive and predictable excuses....especially the one who gave me a rep explaining themselves!! LOL!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:00 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I agree with you, mean people suck.

It's easy for somebody to be a jerk as long as it's not them or affecting them. America has kind of gone down the toilet in that regard, the disregard for others, lack of compassion and general mean spirited nature is the norm.
The most beautifully spoken words I have seen here.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:11 PM

180 posts, read 391,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I lost my job, I could find another quickly.

Of course, I snatch up the first thing I can get, instead of worrying about what the pay is going to be, or what the job is going to entail.
There was a time, not too long ago, that if I felt my employer was treating his/her employers unfairly, I would simply give them 2 weeks notice, make one or two phone calls on my way home, and have a new job waiting for me BEFORE I even got home. This is fact.

Times have changed, you obviously haven't noticed. Put your money where your mouth is and prove it to us ......

Fact is you won't, you know why? because you're afraid, AS YOU SHOULD BE! I've stated this multiple times, all you pathetic people that have nothing better to do with their lives than to kick the unfortunate around, your pink slips are just around the corner. I look forward to reading your posts in the not too distant future!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:24 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post

Times have changed, you obviously haven't noticed. Put your money where your mouth is and prove it to us ......

Fact is you won't, you know why? because you're afraid, AS YOU SHOULD BE! I've stated this multiple times, all you pathetic people that have nothing better to do with their lives than to kick the unfortunate around, your pink slips are just around the corner. I look forward to reading your posts in the not too distant future!
Yes. Let's quit our job to prove a point.

Afraid? Not a bit. Is my pink slip just around the corner? Nope. Made sure I was in a field that will always be around so don't count on reading a whiny post from me about not being able to find gainful employment in 2 FRIGGIN' YEARS!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:31 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
There was a time, not too long ago, that if I felt my employer was treating his/her employers unfairly, I would simply give them 2 weeks notice, make one or two phone calls on my way home, and have a new job waiting for me BEFORE I even got home. This is fact.

My wife did (put her money where her mouth is).

Less than a year ago, she lost her job. It was pretty good pay. So, she started looking, but rather than take unemployment, she snagged up a job in less than a week (for much less pay) and continued to look for work in her field. When she didn't find anything in 6 months, she looked up some other fields to which were more specific and would pay higher on entry. Now she is attending school for 10 months and will have transitioned into the new field shortly (all while working that job).

I have never taken unemployment in my life. When I have been let go from work, I look for something as good, but in the mean time, I take anything to pay the bills. My wife and I have both worked 3 jobs in the past while searching for something better.

I am not saying people are lazy, but there are many who are too proud to lower their intake to keep working and providing for themselves. I don't think poorly of people who take unemployment, it is just something that I never consider as I would rather mop bathrooms than take handouts.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:31 PM

180 posts, read 391,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yes. Let's quit our job to prove a point.

Afraid? Not a bit. Is my pink slip just around the corner? Nope. Made sure I was in a field that will always be around so don't count on reading a whiny post from me about not being able to find gainful employment in 2 FRIGGIN' YEARS!
What are you afraid of? It was you that made the comment. I'm simply calling on you to prove it.

I've heard your statement from more people that I can count, most of which are jobless now.

Yep, I'm calling you out Snake! Put your money where your mouth is if it is as easy as you make it out to be !!!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:

Do you understand the concept of not holding on too tightly to a drowning person? If he ends up going under and you can't hold him up, he's going to take you with. Does that make sense to you at all that we simply have to draw the line somewhere?

As much as we'd like to pay for every single unemployed person to have exactly the same pay they got prior to unemployment, and make sure every single one's kids have gifts under the tree this Christmas...it's just not possible. At some point you have to draw the line unless you want to be dragged down with them. I know it sounds harsh. I'm sorry...that's just the way it is. We don't hate them...but there are limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies