Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I agree with your last point. Consumption tax is a much better plan than income tax.
Come to the Dark side...

Quote:
I disagree on the other point. I can't imagine anyone going to get their personal fire truck and hooking up to their neighborhood hydrant and attempting to put out a fire in their home. I also don't think it's a good idea for someone to personally arrest the person who attacked them...in the case of murder, this would be impossible.
People provide local fire services,oftentimes is is all volunteer.
My point about police is they are there to make a report,rarely do they stop crimes,that is up to you.

Quote:
Not everyone can afford private school, that's why we have public school, so we don't have a bunch of dimwits running around...
I don't think I should pay to send your kids to school,do you?

Quote:
you wanna talk about class warfare, get rid of public education!
How could it get much worse,Americans are some of the most poorly educated ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/wo....html?_r=2&hpw

Quote:
Roads, I don't think so, they're too expensive to maintain and a requirement for trade of any kind.
You certainly are for big government aren't you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
He's not complaining! You are! He never said he wanted UE.
He WAS stating he didn't get any handouts...and people are now...join the dots.

Quote:
He probably did in fact live off his savings.
This would be an ASSumption...

Quote:
Stop making ASSumptions.
See above.

Quote:
His whole point, if I'm not mistaken, is that he did not take handouts when he could have, nor did he feel sorry for himself.
I can't see where he stated he could have gotten any handouts...

Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Why would someone do that? They could just set money aside as an emergency fund or pay into a retirement account for when they are older. That makes no sense and would not be good business practice. You are even saying that paying into the gov't is a horrible thing, but yet you encourage the self-employed to pay into UI??

LOL!! Exactly!!

I have not worked in 3 months. Nothing! not even picked up a tool and I'm getting out of shape, dreading the aches and pains when work does pick up.

Eating beans & weenies, even when times are good, places a lot in the bank, for the slow times. Hunting fills the freezer!

Everyone has choices in life. I learned quick, to save for the slow times in my line of business. That slow time was always from Christmas day until May, when IRS returns would start coming in.

I have enough to live off of for approximately 5-6 years, if prices don't rise and inflation hit hard. Way better than any unemployment check.

When your employed, you take everything for granted. A false sense of security. Saving money for the hard times, never enters your mind.
Then there are those, that make enough to pay everything they wish to have and still have money left over to bank. In other words, they were living well below their means.

Ever understand how an uneducated poor Vietnam immigrant could become among the wealthiest? They ate rice and still eat rice. Still in a small home, and economical vehicle. It seems like they never sleep and work constantly.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I know a good amount of self-employed but none pay into UE. That would be a foolish waste of money. They save their money instead.
So they made a decision and now cannot get unemployment.
And then complain that others can get unemployment....

Choices do sometimes bite you in the butt...their choice to make.

Quote:
If you're not taking UE then why are your knickers in a twist??
They aren't simply pointing out how those who find it 'unfair' that others are scamming the system have offered no proof of this...

And that the nation better get used to a large segment of the population who is perpetually receiving gov. handouts.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
LOL!! Exactly!!

I have not worked in 3 months. Nothing! not even picked up a tool and I'm getting out of shape, dreading the aches and pains when work does pick up.

Eating beans & weenies, even when times are good, places a lot in the bank, for the slow times. Hunting fills the freezer!

Everyone has choices in life. I learned quick, to save for the slow times in my line of business. That slow time was always from Christmas day until May, when IRS returns would start coming in.

I have enough to live off of for approximately 5-6 years, if prices don't rise and inflation hit hard. Way better than any unemployment check.

When your employed, you take everything for granted. A false sense of security. Saving money for the hard times, never enters your mind.
Then there are those, that make enough to pay everything they wish to have and still have money left over to bank. In other words, they were living well below their means.

Ever understand how an uneducated poor Vietnam immigrant could become among the wealthiest? They ate rice and still eat rice. Still in a small home, and economical vehicle.
But this was your choice right?
You could have paid in to the program if you had chosen,instead you chose to keep the money for yourself.

I understand what you are doing but you then can't really complain that you aren't eligible for unemployment...

We have about a years worth of food on hand,LOTS of dried beans,rice(although need to buy more) and flour.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default Omg

Quote:
Because maybe we have morals?!
Now you've gone and done it..Now all you had to say was "Personal Responsibility" and you would be a conservative racist! LOL

Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Now you've gone and done it..Now all you had to say was "Personal Responsibility" and you would be a conservative racist! LOL
Wasn't it Biden who stated it was your patriotic duty to pay your taxes???

LOL....

Old 12-09-2010, 09:18 AM

It seems people are angry over people getting unemployment because of the fact that they must work and pay taxes that then go to these moochers...

And yet it is the moral and responsible thing to do to pay your taxes.

Hmmmm.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The thing about your first group - everyone who is rich either worked for it or has parents who worked for it. Regardless, considerable effort was taken to earn the money at some point....correct?
Wall Street Banksters and corporations that monopolized and send our jobs overseas get a free pass? Your actually saying that rich people always earnestly and honestly became wealthy???

Boy, are you naive. Here's just one example...

Study Tallies Corporations Not Paying Income Tax

Senator Levin said in written remarks on Tuesday that “this report makes clear that too many corporations are using tax trickery to send their profits overseas and avoid paying their fair share in the United States.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/bu...3tax.html?_r=1

...and BTW...If Bernie Madoff had not been caught, would he and his family be entitled to tax breaks too?

One more word for you...ENRON

Last edited by sickofnyc; 12-09-2010 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
But this was your choice right?
You could have paid in to the program if you had chosen,instead you chose to keep the money for yourself.

I understand what you are doing but you then can't really complain that you aren't eligible for unemployment...

If I had turned my small company into a corporation and paid myself as an employee of the corporation, I would have had to deduct unemployment.

Less money in the bank, if I had gone that route, plus, I would have had to file bankruptcy, to get liquidity to have the money to live on in hard times.
A corporation has to show something, or it is considered a tax shelter.

I'm the guy that posted about getting a tax return of $3000 and not paying a dime into any tax. I don't need it! Something about a tax credit. I didn't make crap last year. My return showed it. I get a check from the government and I did not earn it. I held onto it for a long time, making calls to see where they had made a mistake, and they were going to come looking for it. I gave it to a local charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies