Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 AM

915 posts, read 1,191,064 times

Advertisements

Westboro Baptist Church says it will picket Elizabeth Edwards’ funeral – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

This is outrageous! In the past a few people on here defended this scum church and their right to free speech. I'd like to see if they still back their right to picket the late Ms Edwards' funeral.

What did she do to deserve this?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Westboro Baptist Church says it will picket Elizabeth Edwards’ funeral – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

This is outrageous! In the past a few people on here defended this scum church and their right to free speech. I'd like to see if they still back their right to picket the late Ms Edwards' funeral.

Maybe they think she "enabled" her husband by keeping quite about his affairs during his presidential campaign?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,138 times
What will homophobes think of next??? What a disgusting class of people.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:49 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:

You beat me to it! I was going to post this same link! I do find the prospects of this group picketing Ms Edwards' funeral to be disgusting, but I do still have to defend their 1st amendment right to do so. If we start limiting someone's 1st amendment rights simply because we don't like what they are doing or what they are saying, next it might be YOUR rights or MINE that are limited because someone else doesn't like what we are saying or doing.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:51 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
I guess the right to free speech pre-empts the need to behave with common courtesy and decency.

That this scum even calls itself Christian is beyond belief.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Maybe they think she "enabled" her husband by keeping quite about his affairs during his presidential campaign?
They think? Methinks you give them far too much credit

Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:

She became the target of a crazy person/group of crazy people?

/got nothing.

Jesus & Christianity/his movement challenged the Status Quo and thus, he had to die.

Wanna hear something really weird? Jesus wasn't the only person who claimed to be the Son of God, even way back then. He just got the most attention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ed_to_be_Jesus

Here's another observation. You are walking down the street and you see a man, speaking softly, then powerfully, and quoting scripture. Suddenly, he claims, "I AM THE SON of GOD!"

Is he CRazy?

Same situation, except he has two people sitting at his feet, nodding and saying, "Praise be to GOD."

Are they crazy?

Now, there's 1000 people in a huge mass. SAme dude. SAme words.

CRAzy?

Now there are 570 million people around him.

CRazy?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Elizabeth Edwards strays on gay marriage - Politics - Decision '08 - John Edwards News - msnbc.com

If ever a funeral picket line were warranted, this it it. She was a vocal proponent of homosexual marriage. I'll weep for the innocent, not for the guilty.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:02 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Elizabeth Edwards strays on gay marriage - Politics - Decision '08 - John Edwards News - msnbc.com

If ever a funeral picket line were warranted, this it it. She was a vocal proponent of homosexual marriage. I'll weep for the innocent, not for the guilty.
Sorry, but I find your comments here as disgusting as I do the idea of anyone - this 'church' in particular - picketing at a funeral. What was she 'guilty' of? Caring about other people?

Old 12-09-2010, 10:02 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

And she is guilty of what? Compassion? Empathy? Belief in civil rights?

Last edited by burdell; 12-09-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.