Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,118,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nope, I haven't... well maybe I've met someone, but nobody in my core circle of friends & family has ever abused welfare. In fact, I can only think of ONE who's even received government assistance - at the time she was a single mother of four, working full-time (and then some), but was still unable to afford everything needed for her children. She received food stamps for a while, and used them only to feed her kids. Nobody else in my life has received welfare, let alone abused the system. Maybe you need to re-think the company you keep?

That being said, I have associated with many welfare recipients, as I used to teach in a low-income neighborhood... and most, if not all, of the families I worked with were receiving some form of assistance. For the most part they were good & honest folks, and while I don't know for sure, I'd doubt they were abusing the system. They had children to feed, rent to pay, and usually worked on top of accepting help (which is perfectly legal if you earn poverty wages). I don't think they could waste money, even if they wanted to! So once again, I think this is more of a personal issue for you & your family.
#1 I can't change my family. Ever heard of unconditional love? All I can do is give advice on how to get their lives right, it is up to them to actually do it.

#2 None of these friends of mine are "good friends." They all live in the redneck town I used to live in, a town I HATED due to the morons who inhabit it. Well, one was a good friend who got herself pregnant, and we no longer talk after she talked me into babysitting for her and refused to pay me.

#3 I have no problem with the honest folks, I know they exist, but that does not mean we have to just deal with the abuse that occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It isn't just drugs, it's cable and internet and cellular services and alcohol and tobacco and gambling/lottery.

If you whine you need $200 to buy food, then you cancel your cable, internet and cellular services first.

Otherwise, all I'm doing is subsidizing your cable, internet and cell-phone, and I'm under no moral, ethical or legal obligation to do that.
Yes. This is a great example. These people want for nothing and then expect taxpayers to pay their basic bills for living. That's wrong.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Excuses, excuses. HOW do you KNOW that the majority of welfare recipients actually have cable, internet (or even a computer)? Cell phones can save lives if needed in an emergency. And, NO, you are not subsidizing those things if someone gets FOOD STAMPS.

Absolutely amazing how authoritarian people are when it comes to "the poor" and needy! That is not a pretty or impressive sight. Why don't you all just suggest what's really in the back of your minds, either throw the poor into prison camps so you can dictate EVERYTHING they do or let them starve to death in the streets?
Yes, you are subsidizing those things, just like you're subsidizing weed smoking if you're paying someone's food bills while they spend their own money on pot. It's a misappropriation of funds, put it that way. Why should we (collectively) donate $400 a month when someone has a $100 cable and Internet bill, a $100 cell phone bill, they leave their lights and appliances on all day, take a bunch of bubble baths or run their dryer multiple times b/c they don't feel like folding the laundry...which in turn jacks up the water and electric bills (or gas, whatever)?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,764,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It isn't just drugs, it's cable and internet and cellular services and alcohol and tobacco and gambling/lottery.

If you whine you need $200 to buy food, then you cancel your cable, internet and cellular services first.

Otherwise, all I'm doing is subsidizing your cable, internet and cell-phone, and I'm under no moral, ethical or legal obligation to do that.

Should they be allowed to own a dog? Dog food is expensive.

How about riding a bike?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,094,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Yes, you are subsidizing those things, just like you're subsidizing weed smoking if you're paying someone's food bills while they spend their own money on pot. It's a misappropriation of funds, put it that way. Why should we (collectively) donate $400 a month when someone has a $100 cable and Internet bill, a $100 cell phone bill, they leave their lights and appliances on all day, take a bunch of bubble baths or run their dryer multiple times b/c they don't feel like folding the laundry...which in turn jacks up the water and electric bills (or gas, whatever)?
AGAIN, you are just speculating that all these people have computers, internet, and cable, etc., etc.

Look up the word speculation. Have YOU ever, ever been in any Section 8 housing facility? You also seem to have an obsession with pot. You actually think the poor and needy who receive welfare benefits have such luxuries as washers & dryers to do their laundry? Ever been to a laundromat? Geeeezzzzz. Somebody has filled your head with lots of illusions about welfare recipients as far as I can tell. Please. Give us some FACTS rather than just sheer speculation and broad generalizations.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Should they be allowed to own a dog? Dog food is expensive.

How about riding a bike?
And who really needs fancy toilet paper? They can just use leaves like in the old days!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
They are also 'taught or trained' to look in the wrong places so the 'bigger' theft that goes on in this country with tax dollars can continue under ALL of our noses.
Blame the poor is just the latest group to denigrate after the blacks, browns & gays mantra but, hey it's gotta be someone stealing our money doesn't it?
Yup!

It's so Fascist of them to always find a target to hate.....

Old 12-21-2010, 11:26 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,777,005 times
Quote:
My answer to that would be to find a legit church. It's not one central hub that collects money, each individual church is in control of their own expenditures, with small amounts going to keep the central churches going, like the AMiA, ECUSA, etc. That is more like a membership fee than anything and as far as I know, it is not a large sum. The tithes go to pay rent, clergy and limited office staff, admin costs and the rest go to outreach programs and ministry efforts.
The churches are overburdened just now.

This is funny:

Quote:
take a bunch of bubble baths or run their dryer multiple times b/c they don't feel like folding the laundry...
Now what on earth makes you think that the "poor" are laying up in the bubble bath all day long?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
More complaining, still no solutions... I'll ask again, WHAT can be done to stop this "misappropriation of funds?" And how do we draw the line on what's a "necessary item" versus "luxury item?" Any ideas?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:30 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,094,481 times
Quote:
Wow, so you want me to do a study and put together a report for you with cost analysis? Alright, I myself have said, on multiple occasions, that I wonder how much this kind of thing would cost and how effective it would be. Please stop interjecting your nastiness into my arguments. Again, you have said NOTHING as far as alternatives to the question posed by the OP. If you're just going to rail against the theory and not offer up anything in return, why are you even posting still? We all know the system IS flawed, you even said it yourself, so apparently this is okay with you since you have offered no alternatives.
Slow down and read carefully the posts you're responding to......NO, andrea, I'm not asking YOU to do a study. I'm asking YOU to FIND studies done by reliable organizations/people which give factual data regarding this issue. Most people with bachelors degrees understand what a "study" is and why they're needed to analyze "suggestions" for "improvement" of a government system like the welfare system.

Again, I will continueto say NOTHING as far as alternatives to fix a system which I DO NOT SEE AS BROKEN. I said NO to drug testing welfare recipients. Period. NO means NO. I'm posting here defending the position that drug tests should NOT be given as a condition to receive welfare benefits or unemployment benefits. I see such testing as a WASTE OF MONEY and unfairly harsh discrimination against the needy. YOU are arguing that the system is broken and you want to see drug testing as a way to "fix' that system, and I have simply been asking you to provide factual information, data, statistics, which support your contention that there is widespread abuse of the welfare system and that MUCH of our taxpayer money is being wasted by these people. You have not been able to provide anything objective and factual to support your position. You continue to just provide speculation based on the behavior of SIX of your family members. That is NOT sufficient to support the expenditure of more money to "fix" a system which, IMO, is NOT BROKEN and is not widely abused.

And you continue to rail against welfare recipients simply because you have family members who abuse the system.....at least that's what you've posted. Sounds to me like a personal issue with your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies