Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:03 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,907 times

Advertisements

Yes, they should-- ALL those who receive welfare from the government. The senior management of Goldman, Citi, GM, and Chrysler should have had to give urine samples, preferably on live TV. Every farmer who gets a subsidy, every military contractor, every construction company getting a pork-barrel project, every friend of someone in power who gets a job he or she is unqualified for-- test them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,092,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
So you don't care if we raise your taxes to pay for it?
How about the kids of these unfit knit-wits? What do you suggest we do with them.
This gets far deeper than just drug testing & kicking those off who test positive.
We all know what it is NOT meant for, so some people are idiots but, what exactly would happen to the babies & children of these people if we just stop their checks? Or doesn't that matter anymore?
I've already stated that I believe the cost would be offset by the savings in not paying those who disqualify themselves. You seem to have conveniently skipped over that in restating your position.

And puh-leeze! Not another cry of "...won't someone think about the children!" The babies and children are the responsibility of those who bring them into the world. If the state needs to intervene, then all parental rights and further contact in any form should be immediately terminated. People in this country who are seeking to adopt are turning to other countries (China, Russia, etc.) because of the shortage of adoptable kids here and the complications brought about by our societal safety net which attempts to keep children with their loser parents. Adopting the kids in question out to more responsible families is a win-win for all, including those of us who are funding the welfare programs in the US.

I'd also advocate immediate and mandatory sterilization for all welfare recipients before a single cent is paid out. Stop the leeches from breeding and producing more leeches. The same should go for anyone convicted of any drug-related offense - user or dealer. (And yes, I called them leeches. As long as my hard-earned tax dollars are keeping food on their table, while they are sleeping in and I am up at 5:00am, I can view them as I please.)

Old 12-14-2010, 05:32 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,171,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I've already stated that I believe the cost would be offset by the savings in not paying those who disqualify themselves. You seem to have conveniently skipped over that in restating your position.

And puh-leeze! Not another cry of "...won't someone think about the children!" The babies and children are the responsibility of those who bring them into the world. If the state needs to intervene, then all parental rights and further contact in any form should be immediately terminated. People in this country who are seeking to adopt are turning to other countries (China, Russia, etc.) because of the shortage of adoptable kids here and the complications brought about by our societal safety net which attempts to keep children with their loser parents. Adopting the kids in question out to more responsible families is a win-win for all, including those of us who are funding the welfare programs in the US.

I'd also advocate immediate and mandatory sterilization for all welfare recipients before a single cent is paid out. Stop the leeches from breeding and producing more leeches. The same should go for anyone convicted of any drug-related offense - user or dealer. (And yes, I called them leeches. As long as my hard-earned tax dollars are keeping food on their table, while they are sleeping in and I am up at 5:00am, I can view them as I please.)
Sterilization is a good idea.. Hopefully before the one in question has 3 or 4 kids that are going to follow in their footsteps. I feel bad for kids like that and wish I had the time to help in a "Big Brother" type of role, but to be honest I'm too busy raising my own children and working to be able to take on extras or volunteer any more time right now.

As for the pot and booze, even nicotine... After thinking about it, I think they should test for all of these too.. After reading some posts here, and I agree, why should we as taxpayers have to pay for someones habits when we are already paying for their housing, food and healthcare, things that we all work so hard for. Where is our benefit?

I don't know about you all, but a lot of times I feel like all I do is work, work, work, just to barely scrape by... Why don't the people that reap the benefits for nothing have to show anything? Why is the system so easy for them to manipulate?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,489,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Why is the system so easy for them to manipulate?
Better Question: Why are the brains of right-wingers so easy for the disinformation media to manipulate?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:19 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,171,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Better Question: Why are the brains of right-wingers so easy for the disinformation media to manipulate?
If you are insinuating that I am a "right winger" you are way off the mark... Thanks for playing.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post

I don't think either side has an edge when it comes to being brainwashed....

and there is plenty of "disinformation media" on both sides to keep the sheeple dis-informed.

If you think this is a one sided environment, you should wake up and try getting your information from some new sources.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
I would agree only if the drugs being tested for include tobacco and alcohol and the tests were required for Voting Registration and Driver's licenses.

Afterall we don't want druggies endangering us at the polls or on the freeway do we?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
I wonder why you guys are so vindictive about the unemployed yet give a pass to stay at home mom's, retired Teabaggers and people rich enough that they will never have to work?

I figure I will pay their unemployment now and they will cover mine in the future.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post

As for the pot and booze, even nicotine... After thinking about it, I think they should test for all of these too.. After reading some posts here, and I agree, why should we as taxpayers have to pay for someones habits when we are already paying for their housing, food and healthcare, things that we all work so hard for. Where is our benefit?

How about playing golf? Or riding a motorcycle for fun? Or eating pizza? Or fried chicken?

Why stop at prohibiting drugs? And what about legal drugs?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:09 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,764,676 times
I don't think very many people here really understand much about drug testing. A person can still be a flat out drunk or habitual meth user and still pass one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies