Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 07:21 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times

Advertisements

Talk of reducing the deficit fell by the wayside this month when President Obama unveiled a plan to extend all of the Bush tax cuts -- but a bipartisan pair of senators are reportedly hoping to revive the deficit discussion next year.

Democratic Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia and Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss of Georgia have been leading a group of more than 20 senators in a discussion about deficit reduction for months now. The group quietly deliberated over the issue while a bipartisan commission created by President Obama put forward its own ideas for deficit reduction.

Where were they when we needed them...I'll tell you, Voting For Tax Cuts For The Wealthy Funded With Money Borrowed From Communist Chinese Banks...pay particular attention to the Clinton years:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 08:17 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Talk of reducing the deficit fell by the wayside this month when President Obama unveiled a plan to extend all of the Bush tax cuts -- but a bipartisan pair of senators are reportedly hoping to revive the deficit discussion next year.

Democratic Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia and Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss of Georgia have been leading a group of more than 20 senators in a discussion about deficit reduction for months now. The group quietly deliberated over the issue while a bipartisan commission created by President Obama put forward its own ideas for deficit reduction.

Where were they when we needed them...I'll tell you, Voting For Tax Cuts For The Wealthy Funded With Money Borrowed From Communist Chinese Banks...pay particular attention to the Clinton years:

.................... and after the democratic congress of the last four years has added $6 trillion in debt, should there be anything else that we SHOULD talk about?

It really seems as though liberals believe that there is a bottomless pit of money and that adding trillions of dollars to the national debt every year will have no consequences. This democratic congress (congress spends the money) has been the most fiscally irresponsible congress in the history of the US. After the financial damage they have done, of course we need to talk about massive spending cuts. To not do so will result in insolvency, which liberals just do not seem to understand.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:06 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
.................... and after the democratic congress of the last four years has added $6 trillion in debt, should there be anything else that we SHOULD talk about?

It really seems as though liberals believe that there is a bottomless pit of money and that adding trillions of dollars to the national debt every year will have no consequences. This democratic congress (congress spends the money) has been the most fiscally irresponsible congress in the history of the US. After the financial damage they have done, of course we need to talk about massive spending cuts. To not do so will result in insolvency, which liberals just do not seem to understand.
Oh come on hawkeye it wasn't just the liberals & who was it that said "deficits don't matter?" Apparently they DO.
Both parties are equally responsible & to believe either one & the rhetoric they spew at this juncture is pointless.
I'm glad to see some bipartisan effort at the very least.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
pay particular attention to the Clinton years:
You lose all credibility the mninute you claim Clinton years had a surplus.. They didnt.. they were projected surpluses, but the national debt continued to climb yearly.. In addition, the GOP cut the deficits during the Clinton years.. CONGRESS controls the budget, not the President..

Old 12-25-2010, 09:16 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Any talk that does not include serious spending cuts is wasted anyway.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You lose all credibility the mninute you claim Clinton years had a surplus.. They didnt.. they were projected surpluses, but the national debt continued to climb yearly.. In addition, the GOP cut the deficits during the Clinton years.. CONGRESS controls the budget, not the President..

When Clinton left office three years in a row the nation had taken in more revenue than it had spent...that's called surplus. The administration and congress were arguing about how to spend the surplus. Slow Walkin' Slow Talkin' George fixed that. He spent it on tax cuts for the wealthy and began, for the first time in U S history to borrow from Communist Chinese banks to fund it.

http://zfacts.com/metaPage/lib/US-National-Debt-GDP.gif

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-25-2010 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other

Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Oh come on hawkeye it wasn't just the liberals & who was it that said "deficits don't matter?" Apparently they DO.
Both parties are equally responsible & to believe either one & the rhetoric they spew at this juncture is pointless.
I'm glad to see some bipartisan effort at the very least.
Deficits dont matter if the result of those deficits are economic growth..

For example..
I'm planning on purchasing a new printer next year. The printer will cost me $125,000, which means next year if my businesses have $0 profit, which they usually do, I'll run a $125,000 deficit..

But if I buy that printer and it results in me being able to increase my revenues by $1,000,000 a year, and it increases my profits by $100,000 a year.. according to your argument, its "bad".. But the economics indicate otherwise.. I'll run deficits forever, doesnt matter.. as long as the result is growth.. See the difference?

Old 12-25-2010, 09:21 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Misleading chart, the national debt never went down it was only hidden by growth in GDP, which brings down the ratio.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Your problem is that you either can't read or you're too stubborn to do it.
When Clinton left office three years in a row the nation had taken in more revenue than it had spent...that's called surplus. The administration and congress were arguing about how to spend the surplus. Slow Walkin' Slow Talkin' George fixed that. He spent it on tax cuts for the wealthy and began, for the first time in U S history to borrow from Communist Chinese banks to fund it.
Its only a surplus if you ignore the debts created by intragovernmental holdings.

It must suck that the federal governments own website on debt confirms it went UP every year during the Clinton administration and there was never a surplus.

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/r...ebt_histo4.htm

p.s. the US Govt has been borrowing from China for decades.. where did you hear that garbage that it began under Bush from?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-25-2010 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text + please discuss the topic, not each other

Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-25-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies