Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,343,226 times

Advertisements

That would be the headline if the comittee member in question was not Claudio Martinez and the person he insulted was not white.

Quote:
The crowd repeatedly chanted “Save Our Schools’’ and other slogans. Many attendees heckled Superintendent Carol R. Johnson and the committee, causing several delays in the proceedings.

At one point, heckling from one man with several tattoos struck a nerve with committee member Claudio Martinez, who fired back: “When I need a comment from a white, privileged kid like you, I’ll let you know.’’

However, since the comittee member in question is Claudio Martinez and the person who he insulted is white this is the response from Boston Moonbat Mayor Thomas "Mumbles" Menino.

Quote:
Yesterday, Mayor Thomas M. Menino said Martinez “misspoke.’’

“It was unfortunate, but he was under a lot of pressure,’’ Menino said. “A lot of those folks have never been under that pressure.’

Isn't it funny how some people get a free pass for racist remarks. Others....not so much

Closings have parents searching for new schools - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,121 times
Quote:
"The Rev. Gregory Groover, the committee chairman, also defended Martinez, saying, “I think he for a second lost his cool.’’

I think that for all of us at the meeting last night it was an extremely intense environment,’’ Groover said. “There was frustration, there was anger, and at some points it became hostile. The meeting clearly had an adversarial tone, and the School Committee was trying to work through all that.’’

Groover said he did not believe that Martinez’s comment was at all reflective of his beliefs, saying that as a longtime community organizer in Jamaica Plain, Martinez has long taught and practiced the importance of working with people of different backgrounds.
Since the OP is complaining about a 'free pass', I have a question. Did you complain anytime during your lifetime about the free pass that Whites have before they were forced to desegragate under the law of the Civil Rights Act of 1964? Just curious.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Since the OP is complaining about a 'free pass', I have a question. Did you complain anytime during your lifetime about the free pass that Whites have before they were forced to desegragate under the law of the Civil Rights Act of 1964? Just curious.

1. Please check your calendar. Is it currently 1964?

2. I was not alive in 1964 so the answer is no.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Wait and see; this will get back around to Martinez, and then he'll have to issue some kind of backtracking statement. Even better--perhaps he'll decide to use his current position as a springboard for elective office. Then some opposition candidate will be able to push his own remarks back in his face.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,298,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Isn't it funny how some people get a free pass for racist remarks. Others....not so much
That's the price you pay for perpetrating and benefiting from almost 400 years of racism in the North American continent.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That's the price you pay for perpetrating and benefiting from almost 400 years of racism in the North American continent.

Thanks for acknowledging that a double standard does exist and that you support racist and discriminatory treatment of white people and special treatment for minorities. Do all of your friends and family members share your views?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times
Quote:
Ah yes, use yesterday's headlines to sell today's news. So if it was wrong for us evil white people (actually our ancestors, and not even all of our ancestors as I don't believe many of mine where on the North American continent 300-400 years ago) to be racist then is it also wrong for Hispanics and Blacks to be racist? Or do two wrongs make a right? Also why should I have to pay the price for the (alleged) sins of my forefathers? I thought we were to judge people "not by the color of their skin but the content of their character?" Or does that end once we start talking about white skin?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:13 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
Quote:
What an incredibly shortsighted point of view.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:16 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,849,592 times
Quote:
Anyone know what kind of gift you buy for someone who's 400 years old?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:18 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Thanks for acknowledging that a double standard does exist and that you support racist and discriminatory treatment of white people and special treatment for minorities. Do all of your friends and family members share your views?

I had no idea you were 400 years old and did all those awful things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies