Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:05 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Even if this group is or isn't "supremacists" doesn't negate the rest of my point. Imagine if an African deity was set to be played by Leonardo DiCaprio, what an uproar we would have on our hands. I wonder if you be equally vigorous in denouncing the outcry from the NAACP and other black "supremacist" organizations?
White actors have played Othello, a Moor, in Shakeperian plays for centuries.

If Jesus was truly born in Nazereth then his skin probably wasn't white, yet White actors play Jesus in the theater and in television and movies.

Get over yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 10:21 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times
White actors snagging minority roles causes furor - CNN

Old 12-24-2010, 04:52 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Somebody tell this group about Othello, Aida, The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia and Zorba the Greek!

"A US white supremacist group has called for a boycott of the Kenneth Branagh-directed superhero movie Thor on the grounds that a black actor has been cast in the role of a Norse god.

The Council of Conservative Citizens is upset that London-born Idris Elba, star of The Wire and BBC detective series Luther as well as a number of Hollywood films, is to play deity Heimdall in the Marvel Studios feature. The group, which opposes inter-racial marriage and gay rights, has set up a website, boycott-thor.com to set out its opposition to what it sees as an example of leftwing social engineering.

"It [is] well known that Marvel is a company that advocates for leftwing ideologies and causes," the site reads. "Marvel frontman Stan 'Lee' Lieber boasts of being a major financier of leftwing political candidates. Marvel has viciously attacked the Tea Party movement, conservatives and European heritage.

"Now they have taken it one further, casting a black man as a Norse deity in their new movie Thor. Marvel has now inserted social engineering into European mythology."

White supremacists urge Thor boycott over casting of black actor as Norse god | Film | guardian.co.uk

I thought deities transcended ethnicities but I must have been mistaken.
What gives you the idea that this group is conservative?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
What gives you the idea that this group is conservative?

Well, it's part of their name.

But if you look at their philosophies, for want of a better word, sure seems conservative to me.................

Old 12-24-2010, 07:17 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Idris Elba is playing Heimdall, a minor character in the comics, not Thor.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Who will play the Smurfs?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:45 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
White god does not need to refer to skin color. For the Scandinavians there was no reason to refer to skin color as there were no dark-skinned people up there back then.
However, since Thor & Co were basically derivations of Proto-Indo-European mythological figures, white and black don't need to refer to skin color. Just think of the Indian goddess Kali, the black goddess. With Shiva for instance pale skin stands for purity. It's symbolism...

Sorry Neuling, but that has to be the one of the most stupid arguments I have read in a long time.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:47 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
White actors have played Othello, a Moor, in Shakeperian plays for centuries.

If Jesus was truly born in Nazereth then his skin probably wasn't white, yet White actors play Jesus in the theater and in television and movies.

Get over yourself.
Jesus is not referred to as the "white God", nor are the people who follow him specifically identified as a specific race to which no alterations of pigmentation exist.

There is no winning here in this argument, it is stupid on all sides.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I could be wrong but are we not talking about the cartoon version of Thor?
Since when are cartoons accurate anyway. Its a movie I'm over the historical error already. Given some of the movies I have seen about Thor I can't imagine this one can be much worse.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:10 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times
Actually it is a disappointment to Marvel Comics fans as this is obvious pandering to be PC. That said the reasons for this groups protests are for an entirely different reason.

Hollywood has historically miscast actors in both fictional and historic roles. The worst one I can think of is when John Wayne was miscast as Genghis Khan,no protests came from the Asian community.

Good thing Flavor Flav wasn't cast in this role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies