Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I'm in Michigan it hasn't been above 35 degrees for about two weeks. On a comparitive basis what is going on in Europe is no big deal.

It's 61 degrees right now where I'm at. It's unseasonably warm for this time of year.... the weather has been all over the place. I love summer as much as the next person, but it was in the mid 70s all week last week... maybe we'll see fall weather in January
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 06:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Uh...I'm not saying this is caused by global warming, but I think I need to explain a few things to you.

Northern Europe's temperatures are moderated by the Gulf Stream, which flows up our Atlantic coast, turns east and flows back down the coast of Europe.

Global warming will/is/might cause the melting of glaciers in Greenland and Canada. That infuses the ocean waters with colder water, causing the Gulf Stream to recoil and turn south much earlier than it does now, well away from Europe. That allows polar fronts to sweep into Northern Europe without passing over warmer waters, resulting in lower temperatures and more frozen precipitation.

Do you get it now?
Stillkit. I've read the BBC site, and the cold weather is not being caused by ocean currents, but Siberian high pressure beating back the jet stream and pushing it away from northern Europe. The oceans haven't changed, and how can glaciers melt if it's super cold? It was the same story in the southern hemisphere winter. One of the coldest on record in South America this past July.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Stillkit. I've read the BBC site, and the cold weather is not being caused by ocean currents, but Siberian high pressure beating back the jet stream and pushing it away from northern Europe. The oceans haven't changed, and how can glaciers melt if it's super cold? It was the same story in the southern hemisphere winter. One of the coldest on record in South America this past July.

I didn't say ocean currents was the case for the current cold snap in Europe. I was just pointing out that snow fall and bitter cold in one locality isn't a valid repudiation of global warming.

In any case, no matter how one feels about human-caused climate change, SOMETHING is happening or we wouldn't have this:

Whether it's man-made or natural shouldn't be the issue. The issue should be what do we will do about the effects of it.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I didn't say ocean currents was the case for the current cold snap in Europe. I was just pointing out that snow fall and bitter cold in one locality isn't a valid repudiation of global warming.

In any case, no matter how one feels about human-caused climate change, SOMETHING is happening or we wouldn't have this:

Whether it's man-made or natural shouldn't be the issue. The issue should be what do we will do about the effects of it.
Look, I've been told that snow is going to become a rare occurrence and that we're gonna have to tell our children what snow used to be because they won't know. And yet, here we are. Getting as cold as last year, and it's STILL snowing, and harder in Europe. Now I'm being told that a warming earth will necessarily cause increases in snowfall. Which is it???!!! In a police investigation, conflicting statements is evidence of criminal culpability.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:57 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
So...I know enough to know this: True, pure scientific study does not begin with a hypothesis; it develops evidence on a subject and lets it speak for itself.
That is incorrect.
It is a common error to confuse truth with facts.
The sun rises in the east and sets in the west is a true statement.
But the fact is that the earth rotates so that it appears that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

There is global climate change - a true statement.
But is it a fact that man's output of CO2 (a trace gas) is the cause of the change?

Old 12-18-2010, 08:02 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,778 times
Quote:
I may be just a retired truck driver, but I'm also a college graduate and former Army officer, so I'm not COMPLETELY uniformed.
So, how do global-warming theorists that were not military officers become uniformed?

Last edited by irishvanguard; 12-18-2010 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 08:36 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's 61 degrees right now where I'm at. It's unseasonably warm for this time of year.... the weather has been all over the place. I love summer as much as the next person, but it was in the mid 70s all week last week... maybe we'll see fall weather in January
But you are up in the air so those things could easily happen.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But you are up in the air so those things could easily happen.

Nah, it's pretty much always balls-cold up in the air

I live on the central coast of California when I'm not flying

Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Nah, it's pretty much always balls-cold up in the air

I live on the central coast of California when I'm not flying
How's the fog

Old 12-18-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How's the fog

It's been pretty mild since I moved inland a few miles. We've had a few days of zombie-killing fog, but nothing too terrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies