Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:41 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times

Advertisements

To me anarchy means Paris, France in 1789 and up to the rise of Napoleon.
Ninja's definition reminds me of Libertarians, perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 07:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
/\ In anarchy there is no such thing as "rights". If I want to steal/kill/rape or whatever, I am totally free to do that. The only thing stopping me is the force the victim party can apply. If they kill me before I kill them or vice versa.

But anarchy can't exist, becuase the strong (physically, financially, etc) set the rules and therefore becme the defacto "leaders"
I guess then that you consider anarchy as violence, bestiality, cruelty and brutality. Like kill or be killed.
If you wanted to steal/kill/rape or whatever, do you think that your conscience would allow it all? Are laws the only obstacles that prevent everybody from stealing/killing/raping?

Old 11-16-2007, 11:42 AM

79 posts, read 315,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
To most people anarchy has a negative meaning. When hearing the word they envision bombings, burning cars, smashing store windows, and various other forms of mob violence.
I have a different view of anarchy. To me an anarchist is one who thinks independently, one who is constructive instead of destructive. Someone who does not always conform to the Status Quo, and does not need politicians to tell him/her what is right or wrong, nor religion to hand down moral values. An anarchist values living independently without harming others.
What's your view?

the idea of anarchy will never actually exist in the world. it would be chaos. anarchy means being against political order and organizing your own government. absolute personal liberty. in a world like that, no one would be able to exist peacefully. it would be impossible.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:53 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
It means a lack of political authority or common standards. To some this creates visions of a utopian world of live and let live, and to others it creates vision of freedom to intimidate and take advantage of others at will. This is exactly why it can't exist over time. The people of the more aggressive version will violate the liberty of others who will then band together for protection. There will be debates about how that banding together should look and how they should look out for each other. The end result is government.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:09 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I think anarchy is a very attractive and daring philosophy to people who have not yet had children.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:23 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
In an anarchic political situation, the anarchist is likely living on a subsistence basis, unless he/she controls (cannot use the word 'own' which presumes governmental record-keeping, enforcement of private property rights, etc.) a plantation, controls access to a harbor, controls a significant army (which would require some kind of classical military organization to maintain cohesion), etc.

Under anarchism, as more time passes, only the 'bosses' have a decent standard of living.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 11-16-2007 at 02:57 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
To most people anarchy has a negative meaning. When hearing the word they envision bombings, burning cars, smashing store windows, and various other forms of mob violence.
I have a different view of anarchy. To me an anarchist is one who thinks independently, one who is constructive instead of destructive. Someone who does not always conform to the Status Quo, and does not need politicians to tell him/her what is right or wrong, nor religion to hand down moral values. An anarchist values living independently without harming others.
What's your view?
That is my view also. But I do not think it is a realistic goal in today's world.Of course "not conforming" and playing along is not what is valued today. Independent thinking is discouraged.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:39 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
What's your view?
i can see much of this, but to me society is a necessary evil, without it we would be living much like the caveman. unfortunately in order to have many of the convenient things we have today, we need a society, and that calls for some conformity. but society being comprised of several individuals, the individual needs some rights so it is a constant battle of society vs. the individual...

plus, people form societies for the sake of security, they people that need a little more protection would eventually band together, others would enjoy the conveniences and a society would form again.

problem with it is freedom, especially on the level of anarchy, requires responsibility for others to not get the shaft, and let's face it, people often have little interest than self interest, sad but true, the might would rule the weak and the chance of fairness would be slim.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:20 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I think anarchy is a very attractive and daring philosophy to people who have not yet had children.
Bingo.

I also envision young middle / upper middle class adults that are still living on their capitalist parent's dime playing at being revolutionaries until they're told to "get off your a$$, graduate and get a damn job!"

Old 11-17-2007, 09:31 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Anarchy is the necessary step between one undesirable system and its replacement. The powerful who suspect their system is potentially undesirable to the masses will already know this fact and will use this to their advantage. Controlled chaos, a novel idea, can then be implemented at the proper moment to insure the replacement system is nothing of the sort. Happily, the weaknesses in this plan for control can be fought against with little bloodshed because the idea is so irrational in the first place. No matter how well one plans ahead, there will always be surprises, things that were never anticipated. Trying to control everything is always a losing battle. Isn't an infinite universe a wonderful and safe place to be!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies