Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

I kid you not..these are his words. Has this administration lost their bearings with this "war on terror" ?

1984..Big Brother..the new age of McCarthyism ?

Attorney General Eric Holder's Blunt Warning on Terror Attacks - ABC News

"The threat has changed from simply worrying about foreigners coming here, to worrying about people in the United States, American citizens -- raised here, born here, and who for whatever reason, have decided that they are going to become radicalized and take up arms against the nation in which they were born," he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
And you don't think that's true?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And you don't think that's true?
No I don't. Don't confuse the nut cases with terrorists.
Terrorists are out to purposely inflict fear and terror on people.
That hasn't proven true with these nut cases who want to blow up a building or shoot the President.

Over 300 million Americans in the US and Holder thinks indicting 50 Americans over 2 years is enough to put out a public statement on fearing your neighbor ?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:39 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
I think Holder is talking about US citizens that turn to Islamic radicalism. I recently spoke to a person pretty highly placed in such matters that told me that this is indeed a significant concern. US citizens are able to travel without the scrutiny of foreigners and are able to blend into society much easier. That makes them very dangerous if they are swayed to a radical mindset.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think Holder is talking about US citizens that turn to Islamic radicalism. I recently spoke to a person pretty highly placed in such matters that told me that this is indeed a significant concern. US citizens are able to travel without the scrutiny of foreigners and are able to blend into society much easier. That makes them very dangerous if they are swayed to a radical mindset.
But is 50 people in 2 years justification to tell the public to start worrying about your neighbor ?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
These same calls to fear and be suspicious of your neighbor were made in preWWII Germany as their propaganda machine fabricated external and INTERNAL threats that the Nazi party used to seize power. It worked like a charm back then, let's see if the American public can smell the BS. I am not optimistic.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I kid you not..these are his words. Has this administration lost their bearings with this "war on terror" ?

1984..Big Brother..the new age of McCarthyism ?

Attorney General Eric Holder's Blunt Warning on Terror Attacks - ABC News

"The threat has changed from simply worrying about foreigners coming here, to worrying about people in the United States, American citizens -- raised here, born here, and who for whatever reason, have decided that they are going to become radicalized and take up arms against the nation in which they were born," he said.
I saw this earlier. Disgusting. So we're supposed to worry about anyone who isn't true redwhiteandblue (and of course of the right national ethnicity). Maybe the fear card is starting to run a little weak and they people we should really be worrying about are inventing a new enemy?

How about the (in Holder's likely view) "radicalized" americans who are sick of the government lying and encouraging fear and spewing propaganda and call them on it? Is seeing through the crap going to be the first official "thought" crime? Just in case someone might listen gotta make sure they can't?

Maybe Orwell was off by a few years.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
You might want to tell the families of the victims of Timothy McVeigh why home grown terror is a non-issue.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But is 50 people in 2 years justification to tell the public to start worrying about your neighbor ?
I don't think that saying we need to be concerned about American citizens being radicalized necessarily equates to telling everyone to worry about their neighbors. Despite the PC efforts, there even tends to be a profile for people like this. Taking it to a different issue, I worry about sex offenders in my city, but not to the extent that I'm worried about all of my neighbors.

However, to go along with your perspective, I do think US citizens are a risk, but I don't think they have taken over as the key demographic posing a risk to us now.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
You might want to tell the families of the victims of Timothy McVeigh why home grown terror is a non-issue.
McVeigh wasn't a terrorist. He hated the US Government.
Big difference.

Even DHS said McVeigh wasn't a terrorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies