Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 05:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,005 times

Advertisements

I have never been more sickened in my life. The sense of entitlement that these people have is unreal.

Quote:
With no job, five children and a boyfriend who is an unemployed former drug dealer just back from prison, Diane Greenfield has grown accustomed to life on the welfare roll. For a total of seven years, Greenfield - a former temp at a downtown law firm who has struggled with pot and PCP addictions - has been receiving city welfare checks.
Quote:
"Are they going to guarantee me a job to raise my kids?" asked Greenfield, who lives in an apartment in Southeast Washington operated by the nonprofit Community of Hope for those who have struggled with drug addiction. "If they don't, then it's going to be, 'Are they going to take away my kids?' It's scary. If they cut me off, how am I supposed to get Pampers, shoes and socks for my babies?"

A guaranteed job. That's an interesting concept.

Longtime D.C. welfare recipients prepare for life off the rolls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 05:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
I thought the limit was 5 years ? Does it stop and resume when you go to prison ?

She had 7 years to answer those questions. Sorry..I feel no pity for her.
Take the kids and put them in foster care.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:32 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I have never been more sickened in my life. The sense of entitlement that these people have is unreal.
It's an expected consequence of rewarding consumption and penalizing production. In other words, if you reward the takers, and penalize the givers, the takers "take over".

Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,301 times
Are they going to guarantee her job? What kind of question is that? How is she going to pay for food and clothing? Like the rest of us do, you know by WORKING! Here's how you pay for needs Ms. Greenfield, get off your lazy behind, go get a job (a real one) and work hard while you're there. Jeez, what is my country coming to?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Merry Christmas to one and all; Except for the kids that have nothing to do with their parent's incompetence.

All the money this woman has received and spent over all these years is less than the cost of one minute in Afghanistan. This country really has its priorities wrong.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,622,441 times
It is all about votes folks. The politicians pamper sub-groups (who probably do not even like each other) until they have a majority in Congress and can be in power forever; the perks are incredible.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
The article is much more insightful than the inflammatory op...

Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Merry Christmas to one and all; Except for the kids that have nothing to do with their parent's incompetence.

All the money this woman has received and spent over all these years is less than the cost of one minute in Afghanistan. This country really has its priorities wrong.
yes, this country has its priorities wrong, where they think its ok to perpetuate poverty, to encourage people not to work, to allow for limited consequences for poor choices.. you know, everything you are supporting..

Old 12-22-2010, 05:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Did anyone else do the math on this....

She's been on and off welfare for 7 years.
She has 5 kids
The oldest is 6.
That means she's had 5 kids while being ON welfare.
How on earth can anyone think to bring 5 kids into this world as a single mother and be on welfare as your source of income ????

And then read about Joy..on and off for 10 years and admits "she's not motivated".

Who is going to slap some sense into these people ?

Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

This country has its priorities wrong when we think that one poor decision justifies another.

How does the fact that we shouldn't spend money in Afghanistan in any way justify this woman getting money for seven years?

That is like saying "I am in debt, but I bought a $55,000 sports car, so it isn't a big deal if I go on a $3,000 vacation. Do you realize how stupid that sounds? You don't have money for either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies