Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,946,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I've tried watching. Something like Sabado Gigante or some crazy title... the gals are kinda slutty but that's what TV's for anyway, to promote promiscuous values. And the guys on the shows like it that way. Guess the FCC doesn't know any eSpaniol, only eControl.

If they'd talk a little slower I could probably pick up some vocabulary but I guess the real trick is learning the body language.
that show is funny- you should watch the novelas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,326,998 times
Quote:
Dude, ease off the salt absorption. This is the 21 century, English is the predominant language throughout the western world. Regardless of continent.
How are you defining the 'Western World'?

Quote:
And for a previous poster who can speak some of multiple languages. I also use my passport to visit other countries. My experience teaches me that regardless of my attempts to show an interest in their home language, most natives of those other countries will prefer English.
In my experience, it's dependent on the person. While nearly everyone I meet appreciates that I try and learn at least a bit of their language they react differently in conversations. Some have the patience to work with my limited skills, some-figuring that their English is better than my _____-prefer the efficiency of speaking English.

Quote:
Maybe not within their own homes but in centers where there is a mix of languages. But really.... so cool for you.
Of course. Since English is either the 2nd or 3rd most spoken language on the planet, it is much more likely that a group of people would have English in common than, say, Swedish which has about 10 million speakers.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,302,782 times
Awesome! We are on our way to becoming a two-language nation. Not bi-lingual but two-language. A nation where one half cannot communicate with the other half.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,302,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Gracias America for supporting Spanish Television.
I can't wait to get "Foxnews en Espanol" (there's already a Foxsports en Espanol)

Spanish-Language Show Tops CBS, NBC in Key Ratings Demo - The Hollywood Reporter
So dopo, are Americans saying si to conservatism, you know, seeing as Fox destroys it's cable competition?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:15 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,841,666 times
Quote:
Dude, ease off the salt absorption. This is the 21 century, English is the predominant language throughout the western world. Regardless of continent.

And for a previous poster who can speak some of multiple languages. I also use my passport to visit other countries. My experience teaches me that regardless of my attempts to show an interest in their home language, most natives of those other countries will prefer English. Maybe not within their own homes but in centers where there is a mix of languages. But really.... so cool for you.
Per wikipedia:

English speakers number 500 million-1.8 billion, and only about 400 million speak it as a first language.

For Spanish, 329-400 million speak it as a first language, French about 450 million

and Mandarin speakers number 885 million as a first language and 1.3 billion total.

Sure engish speakers edge out everyone else in numbers, but only as a second language. Even then then only about 1 in 6.5 people can even speak English in the world. And I don't know where you travelled, but that isn't my experience at all in my world hopping. I also know most people around the world aren't particularly impressed with American ethnocentricity either.

So, what 21st century do YOU live in?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM

177 posts, read 256,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Only it's really not Americans watching this. This is more an indication of the extremely high numbers of illegals here, people who have no ability to learn English and no desire to be American. They hate American culture but they sure do love the money here.
LOL! You are so wrong. Mexicans don't hate america. They do not hate anyone in fact! They are very nice and noble people, unlike american whites who have hatred in their hearts. You're the ones who hate, hate, hate! That is all your lives consist of - hating people!

Seriously - look at your post! It wreaks of white hoods and burning crosses!

You and many others on here claim that Mexicans are ruining ''your" country but the only thing wrong in this country is YOU, and your KKK compadres!

You always want to declare war on someone.

You are the hatred of america. And you are what causes hatred against america.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,326,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
LOL! You are so wrong. Mexicans don't hate america. They do not hate anyone in fact! They are very nice and noble people, unlike american whites who have hatred in their hearts. You're the ones who hate, hate, hate! That is all your lives consist of - hating people!

Seriously - look at your post! It wreaks of white hoods and burning crosses!

You and many others on here claim that Mexicans are ruining ''your" country but the only thing wrong in this country is YOU, and your KKK compadres!

You always want to declare war on someone.

You are the hatred of america. And you are what causes hatred against america.
I'm fairly confident that there are both Mexicans and Americans that both hate and are 'very nice'

Old 12-23-2010, 12:51 PM

13,660 posts, read 20,802,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Awesome! We are on our way to becoming a two-language nation. Not bi-lingual but two-language. A nation where one half cannot communicate with the other half.
Not gonna happen. You are witnessing a peak right now due to a massive influx. Eventually assimilation will take hold. Takes time, but its inevitable.

Used to be thousands of German language newpapers in the US. Try finding one now. In the early 1950s, there were still New York towns where most people spoke Dutch. Try finding one now. It used to be pretty easy to listen to Italian radio in New York and Boston. Not anymore.

Assimilation will happen. Until then, enjoy the cute girls on Telemundo.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I'm fairly confident that there are both Mexicans and Americans that both hate and are 'very nice'
Oh yeah... and this insignificant tidbit cancels out my post!

LOL!

Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It amuses me.. the irony... how things come back to bite you in the ass. lol..

That's why there's an old saying - be careful what you do to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies