Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of a 62-year-old man having a child?

I have to wonder if the social conservatives who praised Elton John for being in favor of civil unions instead of same-sex marriage will also praise him for having a child at his age - not to mention the fact that he is gay.

Elton John becomes a dad - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Men can have children until the day they die, unlike women... so if that's what he wanted, I can only say "congratulations" to him!! He's not 80, he is 62 - so I'd like to think he'll be around for a while, hopefully long enough to see his child grow up. As for his being gay, well duh.

He's one of my favorite musicians, not to mention an outspoken advocate for gay rights & HIV research, so I've always had the utmost respect for him. Finally got the chance to see him perform in Las Vegas, and it was all that I'd hoped for & more. I wish him, his husband, and their new son the best of luck.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,959,438 times
Lucky kid. Lucky surrogate.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Interesting! I have to say I never expected Elton to live to be 62. He really did beat the odds considering his crazy past didn't he?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Interesting! I have to say I never expected Elton to live to be 62. He really did beat the odds considering his crazy past didn't he?
You know his song "Someone Saved My Life Tonight?" Beautiful song, and I better understood the meaning of it after his show... a movie playing behind him during the performance showed a young Elton partying, drinking, and eventually trying to commit suicide. He was saved by a man with angel wings, which either represented an actual man and/or the music which saved his life. As a musician myself, I understand how it can heal one's soul.

"I never realised the passing hours of evening showers
A slip noose hanging in my darkest dreams
I'm strangled by your haunted social scene
Just a pawn out-played by a dominating queen
It's four o'clock in the morning
Damn it listen to me good
I'm sleeping with myself tonight
Saved in time, thank God my music's still alive"

Old 12-28-2010, 12:21 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You know his song "Someone Saved My Life Tonight?" Beautiful song, and I better understood the meaning of it after his show... a movie playing behind him during the performance showed a young Elton partying, drinking, and eventually trying to commit suicide. He was saved by a man with angel wings, which either represented an actual man and/or the music which saved his life. As a musician myself, I understand how it can heal one's soul.

"I never realised the passing hours of evening showers
A slip noose hanging in my darkest dreams
I'm strangled by your haunted social scene
Just a pawn out-played by a dominating queen
It's four o'clock in the morning
Damn it listen to me good
I'm sleeping with myself tonight
Saved in time, thank God my music's still alive"
I like that song. When I hear it it's high school all over again.
I'm also happy I got to see Elton in concert last year with Billy Joel.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:02 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
Good for him. The child will be very lucky.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm also happy I got to see Elton in concert last year with Billy Joel.
Oh maaaaan - I wanted to see that concert SO badly!! Unfortunately money was very tight, and the tickets were going for over $100/piece. At least I got to see him in Vegas, but Billy Joel is another favorite of mine, so that would have been a dream... even more annoyingly, my father went and didn't invite me.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Good for him. The child will be very lucky.
To be rich.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Very old people having children (and let's face it...62 is pretty old) seems little more than an act of pure selfishness.

What of the child? What will he/she get but a father too old to play with them, old enough to probably die before they reach adulthood? At that age, it's unlikely John, or anyone else, will live long enough to see the child even graduate from high school, let alone be there for them when they're grown. With the Father facing the prospect of declining health, who will be nurturing whom? And, at what age will the child have to begin dealing with that? 5? 10? 14?

Frankly, I think that's all quite a burden to put on a child just so you can have a legacy of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies