Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I don't think so, but it is COMMON SENSE! Would your boss let you take vacation if there was no coverage? Of course not.
"coverage"?

Does there have to be a governor there at all times to micro-manage what happens on a city level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
I don't think so, but it is COMMON SENSE! Would your boss let you take vacation if there was no coverage? Of course not.
Normally I'd say no, there has to be coverage.
But this year ..yes, I'm out on vacation and NO ONE is covering my work.
It sits there til I get back.

Why..well we're beyond skeleton crew with all the layoffs we've had.
One or two folks at work as everyone else saved up their vacations.
Mgmt had no choice ...we have a "use it or lose it" policy.

First time in over 20 years with this company ...mgmt said to "let it sit".

Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
"coverage"?

Does there have to be a governor there at all times to micro-manage what happens on a city level?
City level? What are you talking about? This was a STATE WIDE thing. Nobody is saying anyone has to micromanage anything. It just looks very poorly for him. It looks like leadership skills need to be worked on. Let's see, both the leaders of the state are FULLY aware of the storm coming in and they bail out to go on vacation. It looks BAD!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
"coverage"?

No, but when something is having a major impact on the entire state, such as this, someone should be there.

If lets say both left a few days prior, I think you might be able to pass it off as simply bad timing and they should have done a better job coordinating schedules. However, the fact that Christie left the very day a blizzard was hitting his state when the Lt Gov was already out of the state is a problem.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Normally I'd say no, there has to be coverage.
But this year ..yes, I'm out on vacation and NO ONE is covering my work.
It sits there til I get back.

Why..well we're beyond skeleton crew with all the layoffs we've had.
One or two folks at work as everyone else saved up their vacations.
Mgmt had no choice ...we have a "use it or lose it" policy.

First time in over 20 years with this company ...mgmt said to "let it sit".
I understand the use it or lose it policy, but in the case of a state being in the crosshairs of a serious snow storm, the right thing to do, leadership wise, is to have atleast your 2nd in charge available to make decisions. It's not like this thing snuck up on them while they were already on vacation. It just doesn't look good, especially after all this debacle about getting it all cleaned up.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
No, but when something is having a major impact on the entire state, such as this, someone should be there.

If lets say both left a few days prior, I think you might be able to pass it off as simply bad timing and they should have done a better job coordinating schedules. However, the fact that Christie left the very day a blizzard was hitting his state when the Lt Gov was already out of the state is a problem.
Yes, I do agree Smash. Like I just tried to say in my last post, this didn't sneak up on the Governor.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
City level? What are you talking about? This was a STATE WIDE thing. Nobody is saying anyone has to micromanage anything. It just looks very poorly for him. It looks like leadership skills need to be worked on. Let's see, both the leaders of the state are FULLY aware of the storm coming in and they bail out to go on vacation. It looks BAD!
I agree with you - they should have staggered their vacations.

A failure of leadership | NJ.com

Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Democrats are generally better at the "fill the potholes" type of stuff than Repubs are, and that has more to do with having a history of Machine Politics.

But seriously, Gov Christie by all accounts is a damn good Governor.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 AM

Gee I think you should all be happy. It was a Dem that declared the state of emergency for NJ.
And lest you all forget the criticism Obama took for playing golf while dealing with the BP spill ?

In the end..the chain of command worked, didn't it ? The declaration was made, wasn't it ?
Two Repubs gone on vacation and that left a Dem in charge.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:01 PM

Just to show the idiocy in the press...they just HAD to comment on where Obama is while the east coast is under a blizzard. In no way would I ever connect this..but fuel for the MSM and politics as usual. And this is not even a US MSM either.

Some will go to any lengths to look for dots to connect.

Sunny fore-cast in Hawaii! Obama golfs as the East Coast struggles to dig out | Mail Online
"He'd barely been elected president when he came under fire for being on golf course during a crisis in the Middle East. And when the BP oil rig exploded once again he was on the greens.

So it was no surprise when the East Coast was battered by snow storms he was once more pictured golf club in hand."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies