Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Please not that is it Congress that can make no law establishing religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. Seriously, know or at least look up your US Constitution before posting inaccurate assumptions!

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.Note
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Also note that just because a theme park seeks tax breaks it does not take tax funds directly out of the pockets of taxpayers to fund its project does it? Many developers or owners of theme parks, shopping centers, and business seek tax breaks, be they TIFF or otherwise.

Does the OP oppose every tax break where any ideology, be it religious, political or otherwise, is endorsed by the developer or owner via the project? If you don't live in Kentucky what is your beef exactly?
There are numerous STATE Constitutions that similary prohibit the establishment or promotion of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think in order to support your argument you would have to look at how the tax incentives are structured. And tourist attractions aren't just about a product, like Makers Mark, they are about hotels and restaurants, gas stations and numerous other businesses that stand to benefit and contribute to the sales tax revenue. Since there is already a successful Creation Museum and the Noah's Ark park will be a second attraction, the only question for Kentucky is not whether it will make more money than Makers Mark or other distilleries, but will it bring in state revenue over all.
I'm just shooting in the dark, I wouldn't have the time or the drive to research that topic. But I just feel that the demand for a creation museum would be far less than an amusement park, which was what the poster I was referring to suggested.

Personally, as I said, I don't care what Kentucky does with their money. If the issue arises in Florida, I'll vote against it or any politician that supported it.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm just shooting in the dark, I wouldn't have the time or the drive to research that topic. But I just feel that the demand for a creation museum would be far less than an amusement park, which was what the poster I was referring to suggested.

Personally, as I said, I don't care what Kentucky does with their money. If the issue arises in Florida, I'll vote against it or any politician that supported it.
The Creation Museum ALREADY exists. The proposed project IS an amusement park. Based on Noah's Ark. Building a life-sized Noah's Ark. Bringing in animals. Having a simulation of a Middle East village that corresponds to the time period. It's a religious amusement park, and a historical amusement park, but still, an amusement park.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
The Creation Museum ALREADY exists. The proposed project IS an amusement park. Based on Noah's Ark. Building a life-sized Noah's Ark. Bringing in animals. Having a simulation of a Middle East village that corresponds to the time period. It's a religious amusement park, and a historical amusement park, but still, an amusement park.
All I can say is that I hope they weighed the cost vs. reward properly. Its not my state, I don't have a say or a care in it. But if it were my state, I'd rather they give tax breaks to other things that I feel would be a better investment.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Creationists' theme park seeks tax break - U.S. news - Life - Faith - msnbc.com

So many things wrong with this, besides the grand First Amendment violations of not having the state endorse a specific religion. Add into that that it would fund a place all employees are required to sign a statement that everything in the Bible is literally true, including the Bible's authority over science and education where they conflict.

As stated in the article, the original ark was built without state assistance...why not use believers funds to build this one?

I feel bad for honest and intelligent Kentuckians with these nuts running about.
Nice thing about the 10th amendment..if the State is looking to pay for it with tax money, and you live in the State and don't like it..you can move to another State..or vote the pols out at next election...

Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Creationists' theme park seeks tax break - U.S. news - Life - Faith - msnbc.com

So many things wrong with this, besides the grand First Amendment violations of not having the state endorse a specific religion. Add into that that it would fund a place all employees are required to sign a statement that everything in the Bible is literally true, including the Bible's authority over science and education where they conflict.

As stated in the article, the original ark was built without state assistance...why not use believers funds to build this one?

I feel bad for honest and intelligent Kentuckians with these nuts running about.
1. What religion is being established by the funding of this museum?

2. Read the First Ammendment...it says NOTHING WHATSOEVER about a state funding or endorsing a religion. 9 of the orginal colonies had official state religions--they just didn't want the Feds telling them what religion to practice--notice the "Congress shall..."?

I know it's difficult for you to understand it....but you libs might learn quite a bit if you actually READ the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. It's amazing what you might find in there...

Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
I really, really, really wanted to be upset about this.

But I'm not.

Disneyland isn't based on true stories either.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
It would sure help if Kentucky declared christianity as the state's official religion. Shouldn't be too hard to do in this bible thumper state.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
It will be interesting to see them put two of every species in their ark, how big is this ark of theirs anyway
Casper

Old 01-03-2011, 03:01 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It will be interesting to see them put two of every species in their ark, how big is this ark of theirs anyway
Casper
The Bible says nothing about 2 of every species. It says 2 of each kind. Of some there were 7. I've seen studies that say there was easily enough room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies