Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
has nothing to do with rush, obama, bush or any ONE peticular person

the simple FACT is to say it will be a highering boom..is not exactly the truth..is it better than LOSING jobs..sure the heck is... but to 'gain' 1.8 million jobs while your population is increasing by 2.75+ million is certainly not something to jump up and down in joy about
Agreed. What's to be happy about? Since when should America rely on our government to stimulate the economy? They aren't very good at it. We know the economy will continue to suffer and the recovery will continue to crawl, as long as Congress meddles in it.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,999 times
What a joke. I've studies stating that we would need to create 24-32 million jobs to get back to full employment.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:56 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Can you provide links to those econmists saying it a year ago? Thanks.
Gladly;

Citi Global Economists Predict Strong Sustained Global Economic Recovery in 2010 | EON: Enhanced Online News

Inaugural RBDA Economic Survey Forecasts Stronger Growth Later in 2010 into 2011; Housing and Employment to Improve in Most Regions of U.S.; Survey Conducted in Collaboration with Moody

2010 Hiring Outlook | Monster

Here is one from June where "180k jobs per month" were predicted:

Economists Expect Slow Growth - WSJ.com

WSJ Economists Predict Gain of 2.4 Million Jobs over Next Twelve Months – Jobs. Trends. Insight.

In reality, we had 4 months of consecutive job losses.

Here is another from late 2009 claiming unemployment would steadily drop in 2010:

WSJ Economists Predict Gain of 200,000 Jobs over Next Twelve Months – Jobs. Trends. Insight.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
How does that prove they are the same people? Looks like you just picked any article which turned out to be too optimistic.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Economists surveyed by CNNMoney are forecasting an average of 2.5 million jobs added to the U.S. economy this year, which would be the best one-year gain in hiring since the white-hot labor market of 1999.

Of the dozen economists who responded, several of the more bullish are predicting more than 3 million jobs added -- about 250,000 jobs a month. Even the most pessimistic of those surveyed, David Wyss of Standard & Poor's, expects 1.8 million jobs to be added this year, roughly double the pace of hiring in 2010.

2011: A hiring boom, even at 9% unemployment - Jan. 3, 2011
See what happens when republicans win

Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
The problen will be where thsoe jobs are. Many of the jobs that were already leaving the market place will not return and many are not prepared to do other jobs;is the real problem.If you look that is exactly what is predicted from slow growth. The jobs driven by growth wll not be there; it takes as mnay jobs as are now being created to just keepup with the new entries.No putting a good face on a terrible situation really. Nothig like the growth coming out fo the 70's recession.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The problen will be where thsoe jobs are. Many of the jobs that were already leaving the market place will not return and many are not prepared to do other jobs;is the real problem.If you look that is exactly what is predicted from slow growth. The jobs driven by growth wll not be there; it takes as mnay jobs as are now being created to just keepup with the new entries.No putting a good face on a terrible situation really. Nothig like the growth coming out fo the 70's recession.
Well, I work in IT, and the jobs are returning in that sector. Of course, at the same time, there a hundreds of thousands of IT jobs which have been sent overseas, and I wich those would come back too, but I dont' think they will.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Well, I work in IT, and the jobs are returning in that sector. Of course, at the same time, there a hundreds of thousands of IT jobs which have been sent overseas, and I wich those would come back too, but I dont' think they will.
I agree and yes out-sourcing many IT jobs will still continue. I remember a day when IT was THE way to go, many paid the price for going down that path. There is good news though, Engineers are begining to be called back into the workforce and that is an excellent sign that firms are begining to gear up for new projects which means jobs for those in logistics and manufacturing areas. As always the economy will rebound, it was a deep hole and it will take time to climb out of it but we are on our way, reguardless how much some want to it to be otherwise. Wanna bet the Repubs will attempt to take all the credit, oh wait they already are
Casper

Old 01-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I agree and yes out-sourcing many IT jobs will still continue. I remember a day when IT was THE way to go, many paid the price for going down that path. There is good news though, Engineers are begining to be called back into the workforce and that is an excellent sign that firms are begining to gear up for new projects which means jobs for those in logistics and manufacturing areas. As always the economy will rebound, it was a deep hole and it will take time to climb out of it but we are on our way, reguardless how much some want to it to be otherwise. Wanna bet the Repubs will attempt to take all the credit, oh wait they already are
Casper
Yes, it seems they are taking credit by saying the Bush tax cuts did it. That would mean it took 10 years for them to take effect, and that they created the problem before fixing it.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-04-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Yes, it seems they are taking credit by saying the Bush tax cuts did it. That would mean it took 10 years for them to take effect.
Don't go confusing the issue by pointing out the facts.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies