Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 PM

308 posts, read 711,479 times

Advertisements

John Stossel examines homelessness in America.

Should we help able bodied homeless or are we creating a culture of dependency that makes it difficult for people to improve their lives?

YouTube - ABC 20/20 Freeloaders - Creating Dependency Segment

When I was 22 years old I saw a "homeless" person with a "will work for food" sign in a snow storm. My heart ached for the man. I went to the store and purchased a jacket, gloves, and food.

I drove back to the corner and gave him what I had purchased. He said "thank you", but didn't seem appreciative?

I assumed he would have eaten some of the food immediately, but he stuffed the food in his bag and didn't eat a thing.

As I drove away perplexed I looked in my rear view mirror and the man had begun to walk to the far corner of parking lot. I was curious so I drove around the block and came back.

The man got into a brand new Chevy Corvette!!! I kid you not!

I was shocked and disgusted.

John Stossel did a fantastic report and I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
AL, who is going to argue on the side of able bodied lazy con artists?

Let's just not try to throw out the baby with the bathwater...

According to the United States Conference of Mayors, requests for shelter by families with children went unmet 32 percent of the time in 2004 - and families with children make up the fastest-growing segment among the homeless. Fifty-six percent of the reporting cities say that homeless families have to break up in order to find shelter. At least 3.5 million persons are likely to experience homelessness during a year in the United States and 40 percent of them will be children.

Understanding poverty and homelessness in America | csmonitor.com (http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0522/p09s01-coop.html - broken link)

Old 07-15-2007, 09:43 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Very good report by Stossel, and I generally agree with him. Kotay is doing a great job in Denver, and folks should really pay attention to his process.

But there are some mentally ill and sick folks out there, who need a support system. My "guess" is like most things I have experienced, the "80/20" rule would apply. That means that probably 80% need to get their act together and move up the ladder of life, while 20% really need help with little in realistic expectations.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 PM

308 posts, read 711,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
AL, who is going to argue on the side of able bodied lazy con artists?

Let's just not try to throw out the baby with the bathwater...

According to the United States Conference of Mayors, requests for shelter by families with children went unmet 32 percent of the time in 2004 - and families with children make up the fastest-growing segment among the homeless. Fifty-six percent of the reporting cities say that homeless families have to break up in order to find shelter. At least 3.5 million persons are likely to experience homelessness during a year in the United States and 40 percent of them will be children.

Understanding poverty and homelessness in America | csmonitor.com (http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0522/p09s01-coop.html - broken link)

I can't argue with anything you have stated. America is very compassionate and unfortunatley the con artists are going to continue to take advantage of the system.

I found the report very interesting though.

What's the answer?

Maybe all able bodied should be required to do work for the city if they receive the free food and shelter.

Maybe more of the free loaders would get a regular job and stop making it harder for the homeless families to find available shelters?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:55 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
"Not taking the responsibility because there's a free hand-out"....

I think some of the 'help' inadvertently causes dependancy. I brought up the following question on another thread but no one answered my it: I asked what if all welfare benefits were cut, suddenly, overnight. Would people go out and commit crime out of desperation? Or would they find work wherever they could because they were so desperate?

The only disagreement I have with this report is that it doesn't take into consideration those people who are mentally ill. And I also disagree with their view on addiction. People CHOOSE to drink, noone chooses to become an addict.

Last edited by Prettygyrl777; 07-15-2007 at 10:20 PM..

Old 07-15-2007, 10:11 PM

150 posts, read 519,607 times
we need less hand outs, make them work.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:42 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
From personal experience, many of the homeless have mental illness. I have an uncle with mental illness, he has been homeless since about 1985. During that time, my poor grandparents and other relatives have tried to help him. They get him cleaned up, on medication, off the booze and working. A few months go by, then he says he is better because he feels great. He thinks he isn't crazy, and doesn't need the meds. Once he goes off the meds, he gets angry, moody, and violent.

He usually leaves a note that says 'F' you all, your living to pay for the government and the aliens, I am going to live a real life. Its sad, he lives in cardboard boxes, broken down u-hauls, in barns, etc. He is about 52 and will die in a field somewhere. My grandparents have tried to have him committed throughout the years, but unless he endangers himself, the police can't hold him. My grandpa is such a hard worker, I know this situation is like a failure for him.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:34 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
From personal experience, many of the homeless have mental illness. I have an uncle with mental illness, he has been homeless since about 1985. During that time, my poor grandparents and other relatives have tried to help him. They get him cleaned up, on medication, off the booze and working. A few months go by, then he says he is better because he feels great. He thinks he isn't crazy, and doesn't need the meds. Once he goes off the meds, he gets angry, moody, and violent.

He usually leaves a note that says 'F' you all, your living to pay for the government and the aliens, I am going to live a real life. Its sad, he lives in cardboard boxes, broken down u-hauls, in barns, etc. He is about 52 and will die in a field somewhere. My grandparents have tried to have him committed throughout the years, but unless he endangers himself, the police can't hold him. My grandpa is such a hard worker, I know this situation is like a failure for him.

So true. Most people have no clue how many people suffer from mental illness and can't function. Whats really funny is listening to the jesus freaks and right-wing religous nutbags proclaim their values and turn their backs on the homeless because they perceive it as handouts or welfare. Just compassion for a fellow human being......

Old 07-16-2007, 01:25 AM

7 posts, read 24,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Libertarian View Post
As I drove away perplexed I looked in my rear view mirror and the man had begun to walk to the far corner of parking lot. I was curious so I drove around the block and came back.

The man got into a brand new Chevy Corvette!!! I kid you not!

I was shocked and disgusted.

Hmm, it's funny how you mentioned this because a long time ago, I saw a story about a squeegee worker. Apparently, what he does is that he stands on a corner, and clean people's car windows for any amount people are willing to give him.

Here's the kicker: He is very wealthy.

When asked, the explanation made everything clear. A person people may consider wealthy would make roughly $20-30 per hour and work something like eight hours a day; which would translate to $160-$240 a day or $2,240-3,360 every two weeks and

This guy made an average of $1.68 per car and over the course of an eight hour day, he would make $1,153 a day! That translate to $16,142 every two weeks and about $420K per year (if he were working 7 days a week). To summarize, this guy made an corporate executive-level salary...washing windows.

As a matter of fact, here's the video:
Window Washers

Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
I cannot take anything Stossel says seriously.
It is too one sided. He is an angry conservative
in liberals costume. I lost all respect for him when
I read his views on development in the USA.
Anyway....the real figures speak for themselves...the majority
of homeless people arent scammers. With our economy
and manufacturing / middle class gone, a whole new
class of poor has been created. These people need to
eat, and need services. If one was to actually beleive
the corvette window washer story (which I dont), if this
was a kid from an upper-class, conservative town, he
would be applauded for his entrepreneurial spirit and
being quoted about how great opportunities in America
are. This culture of freeloaders exists only as a Stossel
ratings grab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies