Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Can't tell from the article - is it an extensive rewrite, or just a change of the terms? Some classics do well with a gentle rewrite every now and then, anyone here ever slug through, say, an old version of "The 3 Musketeers"? Boring. I wouldn't have stuck with it if I hadn't read an abridged version first.

But if Twain's language has been kept in all particulars except the offensive terms, it's an obnoxious hackjob. Censors, like terrorists, should not be negotiated with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can't tell from the article - is it an extensive rewrite, or just a change of the terms? Some classics do well with a gentle rewrite every now and then, anyone here ever slug through, say, an old version of "The 3 Musketeers"? Boring. I wouldn't have stuck with it if I hadn't read an abridged version first.

But if Twain's language has been kept in all particulars except the offensive terms, it's an obnoxious hackjob. Censors, like terrorists, should not be negotiated with.
From what I've read, the following words have been replaced:

'n*gger' is now 'slave'
'Inj*n' is now 'Indian'
'half-breed' is now 'half-blood'

Makes you feel so much better about the world, doesn't it?

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-05-2011 at 11:21 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree , no matter what color the child is.

I firmly believe that the original words should be kept

BUT

NOT in versions for children.....
What if parents want their kids to read the original version in school? Why should they have to buy a uncensored version of it? Shouldn't it be the other way around? If parents doesn't want their kid to read the original, they should have to buy a censored version especially for their kid.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
From what I've read, the following words have been replaced:

'n*gger' is now 'slave'
'Inj*n' is now 'Indian'
'half-breed' is now 'half-blood'

Make you feel so much better about the world, doesn't it?
Bleh. I hope Mark Twain's ghost pays a visit to whoever got that idea.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:48 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Well I submit to you that a young black child shouldn't have to be submitted to such a hateful word reading a novel that supposedly was well meaning. What do you think a child would get out of reading the "N" word 219 times other than abject hatred towards someone who is not white?
When did a term based on mispronouncing the Spanish word for black become "hateful"?
If someone "hated" blacks / negroes / africans / n word, removing the n word does not change a thing.
But if someone assumed that any reference to their ancestry was derogatory, perhaps I could see why it is important to expunge.

However, since blacks call each other (n word), it can't mean "hateful".

And Sly's song, "Don't call me n word, w word..." would have to be expunged, as well.
But for some strange reason, w word people don't get upset when their racial characteristics are used as a slur. (Ex: Will Smith commenting on the melanin deficiencies of his co-stars)
Baffling.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Well I submit to you that a young black child shouldn't have to be submitted to such a hateful word reading a novel that supposedly was well meaning. What do you think a child would get out of reading the "N" word 219 times other than abject hatred towards someone who is not white?
Submit what you want. My child(ren) who ARE black, are taught what the real world is like. Not some watered down, milk toast version, of a bunch of liberal white people, who want to re-write history.

Huckleberry Finn is history. And replacing the "N" word (since you can't say ****** on here), with "slave," is re-writing history, to placate, some rich white people, who want to show the world: "We care."

No you, no they don't. You care? Leave things along; just as they were written. The world needs to remember EVERYTHING. Not just what is politically correct for the moment.

By the way, I do not and most people do not, believe Mark Twain was a racist. In fact, the exact opposite.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Have they done the same thing with "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
Yup... I'm a librarian, and Uncle Tom makes our list of "challenged books" almost every year!

I already commented on the other thread (over on the Books sub-forum), but I'll reiterate that I do NOT support censorship in any form - including the changing of Mark Twain's original writing. The American Library Association is also not going to support this, nor would any librarian worth employing. And FWIW, I would never allow a patron to pressure me into removing a book from the shelves... unless you can convince me it has absolutely no value to the collection, I stand behind my book selections.

It's not that I like the "n-word" or anything, I just understand its place in that context - and changing these words changes the entire tone of the novel. It has also opened a discourse on racism in many classes, so burying this text could cause more harm than good.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
Quote:
I would disagree. I was exposed as a vey young child to ignorance and bigotry. It is part of an education and prepares one for life. The parents can help the child understand this. First graders are not going to be reading this book. Those who can read it are at an age where they can start to analyze it and think critically.

This is no different than those who a few years ago wanted to change the word plantation to manor, trying to mask the horrors of plantation slavery as some type of English manor house. History is what it is.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

They are replacing the N word with "slave"

Its one word, used over 200 times in the book.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
^^^^

This is called white guilt. It's a disorder that often appears with liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies