Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Mexicans blamed unfairly for social problems, like the Irish were?
Yes 25 32.47%
No 46 59.74%
It's impossible to say 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I found it interesting that everyone ignored my comment a few posts back which basicallys states the same thing.

In the old days, many people came here illegally. Those who gave false surnames or any false information at Ellis Island entered illegally. Of course, it isn't as if our ancestors are going to be the ones to admit it. After all, our European names all have flags and crests you can put on plaque and buy online that proves we are legit.

Check your calandar. Does it say "old days"? Are things the same as they were in the "old days"? Do we really need a few million more uneducated, unskilled people with third world cultures and issues legal or not in the USA right now? TODAY???

Not so much.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 10:30 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Might want to check on this but the Irish didn't get all the 'free' = taxpayer money and services, the south of the border set receives today.

No ACLU or other organizations that wanted the take the country back for the Irish.

The only consistent theme was the attempt by politicians to recruit sympathetic voters in a quid quo pro deal. Early form of ACORN.
These are the reasons I see. The Irish didn't have an underground economy that sent back billions to Ireland either while skipping out on taxes.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
These things take a generation?

Ever heard of this?

The Border | 1953 Operation *******

A generation? That was 1953.
An obvious failure. Just like its predecessor under Hoover (which, like '53, resulted in US born citizens being deported, but also resulted in some African-Americans being deported to Jamaica)

Quote:
I don't recall ever seeing Press 1 for English, 2 for Polish on an ATM machine.
There are a few ATMs in NYC with Polish language options. (Not surprisingly, in Brooklyn).

Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
An obvious failure. Just like its predecessor under Hoover (which, like '53, resulted in US born citizens being deported, but also resulted in some African-Americans being deported to Jamaica)

There are a few ATMs in NYC with Polish language options. (Not surprisingly, in Brooklyn).

An obvious failure? Your post here- yes

Go back to the post which mine quoted.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Great. Another extremist who thinks that anything short of the systematic extermination of illegal immigrants is being "soft on illegals".

The link verified what I said. Operation WB was used not just against illegal immigrants but against US citizens by local authorities who didn't like "Mexicans". Just like its 1930s predecessor was used against not only "Mexicans" who were deported to Mexico even if US citizens but also descendants of US slaves who were deported to Jamaica ( no surprise given that the '30s deportations happened when the Klan was much stronger)

In any case WB failed. Accept that you're wrong. Although I'm not expecting an apology from you any sooner than I'd expect an apology from Bin Laden.

There's absolutely nothing to apologize for. The post I rebutted with Operation WB claimed that it will take a generation for Mexican immigrants to assimilate. I showed that Mexican illegal immigration has been an issue for well over 50 years by referring to Operation WB. Please point out where I ever said Operation WB was a success. I'll await YOUR apology.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Throughout American history, immigrants have frequently been blamed for a variety of problems. In the early 1800's, the Irish and Germans were the targets of nativism. Then, Southern and Eastern Europeans were the problem. Chinese immigrants were the focus of early 20th century persecution. My question is, are Mexican immigrants being unjustly blamed, like the other immigrant groups, or is there something inherently different about them? Despite being conservative on almost every other issue, I personally feel that the Mexicans are unjustly blamed for many problems, but I would like to here other opinions.
Nope...Irish came in legally through the front door...not illegally through the back.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:33 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
I am a mostly liberal person, and struggle with the issue because I value legal immigration and assimilation, and am first generation on one side of my family (legal immigrants!), but do not think it's sustainable to have open borders, or the continued amount of illegal immigration that we're experiencing.

The biggest difference I see between the Irish of old and many "Mexicans" (and assorted other Central Americans), is that politically, the "Mexicans" have a powerful lobby and entitlement complex that did not typify and does not typify other immigrants from any country, Ireland or otherwise. It really is palpable and different when dealing with someone who comes to the USA to BE American vs. someone who thinks that the US "stole" their ancestral homeland, and they are therefore entitled to be here (predicated on untenable European Spanish land claims, btw, which is the funny thing).

Also, illegal or non, the welfare state did not exist when most of the European, Chinese, etc. immigration was ongoing. It pretty much was, "Hi, welcome. Sink or swim." The statue of liberty had its famous message about accepting the world's poor in a time where there was no guaranteed education, no emergency room services mandated by law, no medicaid, WIC, foodstamps, welfare, free lunches at school, Section 8 housing, etc. etc. etc. It's a whole different ballgame in 2011 than it was in 1911.

Nowadays, with large families being born in the USA to millions of illegals (I believe stats show that immigrant women in the USA from S.O.B. have larger families on average than their countrymen back home), we are obligated to pay THOUSANDS in benefits to these children of illegals every year. The average low wage worker or under the table worker using a stolen SS# won't even begin to scratch the surface to cover the taxpayer's burden in taking care of their children. Is the cheap lettuce really worth it? Can't we just import it? I could care less if some big commercial farmer goes belly-up, especially when they're admittedly not employing Americans as it is. I'd prefer our limited resources go towards securing a better future for those who are here already, or were invited in.

I think both issues rightfully anger Americans, especially when it seems that so many are taking advantage of the system, and have nothing but contempt for Americans. We've come a long way from xenophobic attitudes of the 1700s-1900s, and during that time, especially the last 50 years, much of the rest of the world has adopted an anti-American education and perspective wherein Americans are the root of all evil. So in essence, it's flipped from when "Americans" looked down on others as the cause of their problems. Today, however, MOST Americans will consistently agree that LEGAL immigration is a positive, and to deny that is disingenuous.

For what it's worth I think "Mexicans" could really step up to the plate here to help their cause and lessen harsh attitudes towards their community. There is very little condemnation from the legal American Mexican community against illegal immigration (ethnic solidarity is hard to shake, no matter who it's perpetrated by, isn't it?), and it's just unbelievable how MEXICO adopts racist, harsh anti-illegal immigration policies itself (specifically against Indio Guatemalans and other Central Americans), and then demands the USA not implement measures against illegal Mexican immigrants!!

Again, an entitlement complex.

Last edited by TriMT7; 01-08-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:49 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I am a mostly liberal person, and struggle with the issue because I value legal immigration and assimilation, and am first generation on one side of my family (legal immigrants!), but do not think it's sustainable to have open borders, or the continued amount of illegal immigration that we're experiencing.

The biggest difference I see between the Irish of old and many "Mexicans" (and assorted other Central Americans), is that politically, the "Mexicans" have a powerful lobby and entitlement complex that did not typify and does not typify other immigrants from any country, Ireland or otherwise. It really is palpable and different when dealing with someone who comes to the USA to BE American vs. someone who thinks that the US "stole" their ancestral homeland, and they are therefore entitled to be here (predicated on untenable European Spanish land claims, btw, which is the funny thing).

Also, illegal or non, the welfare state did not exist when most of the European, Chinese, etc. immigration was ongoing. It pretty much was, "Hi, welcome. Sink or swim." The statue of liberty had its famous message about accepting the world's poor in a time where there was no guaranteed education, no emergency room services mandated by law, no medicaid, WIC, foodstamps, welfare, free lunches at school, Section 8 housing, etc. etc. etc. It's a whole different ballgame in 2011 than it was in 1911.

Nowadays, with large families being born in the USA to millions of illegals (I believe stats show that immigrant women in the USA from S.O.B. have larger families on average than their countrymen back home), we are obligated to pay THOUSANDS in benefits to these children of illegals every year. The average low wage worker or under the table worker using a stolen SS# won't even begin to scratch the surface to cover the taxpayer's burden in taking care of their children. Is the cheap lettuce really worth it? Can't we just import it? I could care less if some big commercial farmer goes belly-up, especially when they're admittedly not employing Americans as it is. I'd prefer our limited resources go towards securing a better future for those who are here already, or were invited in.

I think both issues rightfully anger Americans, especially when it seems that so many are taking advantage of the system, and have nothing but contempt for Americans. We've come a long way from xenophobic attitudes of the 1700s-1900s, and during that time, especially the last 50 years, much of the rest of the world has adopted an anti-American education and perspective wherein Americans are the root of all evil. So in essence, it's flipped from when "Americans" looked down on others as the cause of their problems. Today, however, MOST Americans will consistently agree that LEGAL immigration is a positive, and to deny that is disingenuous.

For what it's worth I think "Mexicans" could really step up to the plate here to help their cause and lessen harsh attitudes towards their community. There is very little condemnation from the legal American Mexican community against illegal immigration (ethnic solidarity is hard to shake, no matter who it's perpetrated by, isn't it?), and it's just unbelievable how MEXICO adopts racist, harsh anti-illegal immigration policies itself (specifically against Indio Guatemalans and other Central Americans), and then demands the USA not implement measures against illegal Mexican immigrants!!

Again, an entitlement complex.
Very well thought out! I think you've nailed it.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Throughout American history, immigrants have frequently been blamed for a variety of problems. In the early 1800's, the Irish and Germans were the targets of nativism. Then, Southern and Eastern Europeans were the problem. Chinese immigrants were the focus of early 20th century persecution. My question is, are Mexican immigrants being unjustly blamed, like the other immigrant groups, or is there something inherently different about them? Despite being conservative on almost every other issue, I personally feel that the Mexicans are unjustly blamed for many problems, but I would like to here other opinions.
It's not comparable (imo), because there was no welfare state like there is today. When american taxpayers are forced to pay for illegals and their native-born children, it breeds understandable resentment. Irish of course were also 100% white.

1 Angry tax payer summed it up well.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:21 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Geez, I wonder why that is?

Could it be because illegal aliens from Mexico have been in the news for decades Ya think?

Are Mexicans the new Irish? No.....

The Irish didn't come to America illegally in the millions and want to transform it into a province of Ireland...

They wanted to become Americans, fly the American flag on their houses not the Irish flag.

This is the image the the American people see:

Nuf said
Exactly. Great post, great post. Immigrants used to come here to become Americans. Now, many immigrants come here to grab a city/territory and turn it into a "better" version of whatever nation they came from. Where I live you drive around certain parts of town and you would forget you are still in America. You see nothing but Mexican flags, no businesses are in English, you'll see over 10 cab companies that cater specifically to "Hispanics" or "Latins", etc. This is what multiculturalism is all about and it cannot last. America is turning into what Teddy Roosevelt warned about:
Quote:
The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic...
My sentiments exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies