Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
Allow me to illuminate exactly what the problem is, and what it isn't.

The problem is NOT the Republicans, or the Constitution, or the reading thereof as amended.

The problem IS the left. They have nothing to offer, nothing to give America to make it a better, free'er place, so all they do is spew drivel and hate. Examples are plethoric, but this string is ripe with examples.

Sad, empty, success-hating, freedom-hating bags of flesh searching desperately to put some meaning, no mater how disgraceful and evil, into their lives.
I need to see some "plethoric" examples. My gosh, this is probably one of the most over-the-top posts I've yet read on any of these forums. I don't know how you define the "left", but I consider myself to be moderate to liberal on most issues and I recently wrote a lengthy post outlining the successes of the "liberals" covering the span of U.S. history.

Take a deep breath, calm down, and consider the possibility that you may be using politics to act out your personal issues. I don't see much rational thought in your post, but I do see a boatload of anger and resentment directed toward a segment of the population that truly believes it is acting in the best interests of the nation. Are they perfect? Nope. Do they deserve the kind of super-vicious vitrol you've just posted? Of course not. No one does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Add me to the list of "what is the WPO's problem." The Republicans that I heard or watched on TV were clear that they would read the Constitution as is, not the original and no longer current version. What would be the point of reading a nugatory document.

*I just found 'nugatory' while hunting around in the dictionary and thought it was cool.

Wow just looked it up what a great word. Not that I'll have much of an opportunity to use it.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Demoted queen Pelosi didn't think of it!
Perhaps the histrionics and theater of the idea didn't appeal to her.

It's pointless posturing, nothing more.

Did they read all the case law interpreting the Constitution? It's pretty meaningless without that.

No.

Again, a pointless stunt to make Teabaggers feel empowered.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
If you think the GOP cares more about the Constitution, then just ask yourself why they actively deny the residents of The District of Columbia representation in Congress yet simultaneously tax them. Power.

Ask yourself why they fight to institutionalize bigotry against homosexuals in the same way their ideological predecessors oppressed minorities and women and advocated to protect slavery. Power.

I'm neither liberal nor conservative, but I'm glad we have liberals fighting to fulfill the social aspects of our Constitution while conservatives fight to fulfill fiscal aspects. Both violate the Constitution horribly and I can't understand why you all align with either of them.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Yeah... the Republicans get a total pass on that. If the passages are no longer part of the Constitution (and they are not) why the hell should they have been read?
Guess the Repugs/Baggers also get a total pass on how much that "do nothing" day cost the American taxpayers.....is that "smaller government"???

Why were so many seats EMPTY????

Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
This person said it better ... in {gasp} the Washington Post:
In fact, there is only one version of the Constitution - and it wasn't what the lawmakers read aloud. What the Republican majority decided to read was a sanitized Constitution - an excerpted version of the founding document conjuring a fanciful land that never counted a black person as three-fifths of a white person, never denied women the right to vote, never allowed slavery and never banned liquor.

The idea of reading the Constitution aloud was generated by the Tea Party as a way to re-affirm lawmakers' fealty to the framers, but in practice it did the opposite. In deciding to omit objectionable passages that were later altered by amendment, the new majority jettisoned "originalist" and "constructionist" beliefs and created - dare it be said? - a "living Constitution" pruned of the founders' missteps. Nobody's proud of the three-fifths compromise, but how can we learn from our founding if we aren't honest about it?
Amen, brother.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Gene,

If they had read the version you're arguing they should have, you'd be proclaiming them racists, against women's suffrage, etc.

No matter what they did, you would find a fault with it. Anybody with an (R) next to their name cannot do anything that you agree with, no matter what. They could do A and you would say they should have done B. The next day, they could do B and you would say that A or C was the right thing to do.

[mod cut-- personal attack]

Last edited by observer53; 01-07-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Perhaps the histrionics and theater of the idea didn't appeal to her.

It's pointless posturing, nothing more.

Did they read all the case law interpreting the Constitution? It's pretty meaningless without that.

No.

Again, a pointless stunt to make Teabaggers feel empowered.

Theater? You mean like Queen Nancy marching through a TeaParty event toting an oversized gavel?

Old 01-07-2011, 03:30 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,877 times
No, you just miunderestimated their intelligence.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:42 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
LOL only liberals would behave like this.

Liberals Flip Out As Constitution Is Read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies