Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:41 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times

Advertisements

I was in a buffet style restaurant last night and after finishing my meal started looking at the people. They paraded by the piles of food, wearing their stretch leggings, and jeans so tight as to make me ask my wife how these ladies could get in them. It was clear they must not have looked in the mirror before they walk out of the house. The general size of the people was large. Many wore leggings with a top and nothing else; which they matched to their skin color so as to make a person with poor eyes see a person half nude standing in the food line. A few wore jeans which might have been right for a person 20 pounds lighter, but were under such a strain as to cause fear they would explode releasing the mass inside and injuring any person within 20 feet. The squeeze from these jeans forced the excess flesh upward where it unceremoniously flowed over their waste line and was supporting the braless 40 DD in a skin tight top. I can’t, in my wildest dreams, think that person stood in front of a mirror and said “OH this looks good”. I just decided it was time to remove my glasses.
I am mystifies as to why a person would go in public in clothes which provide no question of what they would look like nude and especially when the view scares the hell out of any one around them. It is a mystery which I can find no answer for. If I have a feature which I think is not attractive I go to great lengths to dress in a way which limits its exposure. I think most people do this, but in the last ten years it seems in the US a large segment of the public is trying to look as bad as is humanly possible. I can’t say this is true in Europe or Asia where when I sit and people watch, I find it sad to return to work. These people dress to look their best, and they do. What is going on in the US, and how do we turn this trend around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,146,025 times
I think it's the poorer people who tend to live on cheaper items like pasta. That can't afford meat & fresh vegetables so they can buy items that are cheaper.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Many Americans just don't have pride. They don't care anymore. DH and I traveled this country in a motorhome for 3 1/2 years and let me tell you, most of this country sadly looks like a dump. My husband's biggest gripe was..."really how much does a can of paint cost"? But they can all go out to eat

Unfortunately, we have seen it in nicer neighborhoods and poorer neighborhoods. I don't think looking bad and not caring is solely for the poor. There are many professionals who are real slobs at home...so they may look nice and shiny on the outside but that's not how they live.

I remember going out to dinner when I was younger and everyone would dress up...becasue we didn't get to go out much. That's not the way it is anymore.

We were just on a cruise, and talk about the pigs there, anyway on Captains night people were wearing shorts...no respect.

We can't change it if people just don't care.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:01 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
They think that kind of clothing says, "I look sexy". I suspect that to many men, it says "I'm cheap and I'm available."

Guys???? What's your take on this kind of clothing????

Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
They think that kind of clothing says, "I look sexy". I suspect that to many men, it says "I'm cheap and I'm available."

Guys???? What's your take on this kind of clothing????
I would not say it had to do with income, and when young and watching my parents struggle to make ends meet, I never remember once when my parents or us as kids would go in public dress like I see many do now. Jeans with tears are supposed to be stylish! They are not, they look wore out. Skin tight clothes might look well on an in shape woman in her youth, but it looks trashy and sad on a person trying to look like the Victoria Secret models when they look more like a beached whale. I had much rather see a person dress to look nice for their body type, not dressed to see how much lard they can push into a pair of jeans four sizes too small for them. How can these people even breathe?
I don’t want to get started on women’s shoes. I have never seen anything attractive about a shoe which attracts the attention to your feet. The new platform shoes resemble Frankenstein’s shoes and when on your feet, make them look like Frankenstein’s feet. I have ugly big feet, and work to great lengths to camouflage them. If I picked out red shoes with a solid six inch sole designed for what had to be one of these kid’s robotic toys I would look like a fool, and feel like one too.
Poor taste is just that and never looks good.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
I think it is easy to look from the outside and come to a conclusion about people; yet there is more to people than what u see. Everyone has a story. Americans tend to have such a privileged perspective and a limited world view that seems to incite hatred... It's hard to look beyond the comforts of your own life and see... Our judgments tend to carry the bias of our own experiences and sometimes that is blinding. I forget what famous person said it is not wise to make a judgement about your fellow until u have walked a mile in the other person's shoes, lived life in his or her skin or looked at things from the other's perspective.

There is more going on in America than pride and a bucket of paint can resolve. I think maybe it is the absence of love. I mean we got plenty love for money, power and things. We certainly have enough love for self and family too. However we are lacking love for the "bread and butter" of life -the love of justice, equity, unity, compassion, morality, tolerance inclusion, respect and mercy. We are lacking in the kind of love that moves humanity closer to God qualities... Can u imagine if we really loved peace more than war? Maybe there would be know need to have the conversation we are now having. Instead America seems like one big battleground where factions struggle to have their way over the weak and sit at the top of the food chain and chant to the world the "I HAVE ARRIVED so bite me" It's the American way. Unfortunately, I don't have the a profound resolution to offer. Just many of the problems and judgments...

Old 01-08-2011, 09:10 AM

727 posts, read 540,562 times
I just had young janitor in the house and his jeans was so low that I saw his b**t... Nice b**t he is working out but I do not still want to see anyones naked a**...

Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think it is easy to look from the outside and come to a conclusion about people; yet there is more to people than what u see. Everyone has a story. Americans tend to have such a privileged perspective and a limited world view that seems to incite hatred... It's hard to look beyond the comforts of your own life and see... Our judgments tend to carry the bias of our own experiences and sometimes that is blinding. I forget what famous person said it is not wise to make a judgement about your fellow until u have walked a mile in the other person's shoes, lived life in his or her skin or looked at things from the other's perspective.

There is more going on in America than pride and a bucket of paint can resolve. I think maybe it is the absence of love. I mean we got plenty love for money, power and things. We certainly have enough love for self and family too. However we are lacking love for the "bread and butter" of life -the love of justice, equity, unity, compassion, morality, tolerance inclusion, respect and mercy. We are lacking in the kind of love that moves humanity closer to God qualities... Can u imagine if we really loved peace more than war? Maybe there would be know need to have the conversation we are now having. Instead America seems like one big battleground where factions struggle to have their way over the weak and sit at the top of the food chain and chant to the world the "I HAVE ARRIVED so bite me" It's the American way. Unfortunately, I don't have the a profound resolution to offer. Just many of the problems and judgments...
Once again, you nailed it. I bolded a statement because it's true. I find myself doing that at times, and when I do, I try putting myself in their shoes. Idk. Why don't we interview and ask them?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post

I am not sure how we can look at the way Americans dress today and say they see them selves as a privileged people. All I see it as a lack of pride. We, as a people, are losing a grip on reality, and the rest of the world is not going to wait around while we fumble in the trash bend for a change of clothes. When I see someone out in clothes which might be good for yard work and kids looking like they have not grown into their big brother clothes yet I develop an impression which will be hard to replace in my mind. I think the rest of the world sees it the same way.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Many Americans just don't have pride. They don't care anymore. DH and I traveled this country in a motorhome for 3 1/2 years and let me tell you, most of this country sadly looks like a dump. My husband's biggest gripe was..."really how much does a can of paint cost"? But they can all go out to eat

Unfortunately, we have seen it in nicer neighborhoods and poorer neighborhoods. I don't think looking bad and not caring is solely for the poor. There are many professionals who are real slobs at home...so they may look nice and shiny on the outside but that's not how they live.

I remember going out to dinner when I was younger and everyone would dress up...becasue we didn't get to go out much. That's not the way it is anymore.

We were just on a cruise, and talk about the pigs there, anyway on Captains night people were wearing shorts...no respect.

We can't change it if people just don't care.
Some of us do, although I'm not a fan of the tie... (I must have been hanged in a former life, because I can't stand having stuff right around my neck)

In my line of work a person dresses to the occasion of the day. That said I'm the guy that's lucky enough to get to wear jeans all week long, but the work I do warrants it.. Very rare to see anyone else around the office dressed like I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies