Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's about time they lost their tax-exempt status.
x 10,000

Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,277 times
These people have gone mad obviously but who knows, John the baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah, and perhaps Christ himself wouldn't survive that long either. That's a deeeep thought right there. The only difference is these people are crazy and saying/doing some very mean things. But really, would John the Baptist's message be that much different? Just food for thought.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
My bottom line:

These people have lost thier minds.
But... is this nation blessed or cursed? And why?
My bottom line:

They've lost their souls as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:04 PM

John the Baptist went right up to Herod and called him out on his adulterous relationship. Christ said he was the greatest man ever to walk this earth besides himself. I wouldn't want to be responsible for beheading that guy.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,102 times
this will surely show my ignorance on this church thing in the us but
does the baptist church have a ruling /governing board?

wondering why other baptist aren't concerned/mad about this offshoot of
their church and whether they can take away their status as a church.

seems like there was a story in the past that involved the presbyterian church ?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 PM

The difference between John the Baptist and these people is that John stood up for what's right and called sin, sin. He never would "celebrate" anyone's death. He would have mourned for them. And if he was here right now he would be very upset and try and convince people to REPENT and turn to God. He wouldn't blame this church or others who say negitive things, he'd get right to the root of the problem.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
They are not a church.
They are a cult.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are not a church.
They are a cult.
Is there much of a difference?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely not. They may be a bunch of wackos, but I will strongly defend their right to express their opinions as long as they don't commit any violent acts.

Right to free speech ends when incites violence.....

Quote:
WBC prays for your destruction--more shooters, more dead carcasses piling up, young, old, leader and commoner--all. Your doom is upon you!
AnUnidentifiedMale I think the main and possibly only reason you defend their right to express their opinions, right to free speech regardless of what that speech is is only because you fear you will lose your right to free speech if they were stopped. It's time we added a clause to the right to free speech and religious freedom. Yes I know some people fear this would only be the start of all of us losing our right to protest, free speech. Tell me did anyone lose their right to free speech when people were stopped from using it to spew out racial slurs. Their religion should not be permitted to be a license to do and say anything they want in the name of their god.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Those who would give up essential liberty for a moments safety, deserve neither.

I support their right to speak, just not what they are saying.

What would be nice is if an entire cities worth of people stood between the westboro baptist church protesters and the funeral. Keep them back far enough to ensure that the families couldn't even hear a faint whisper of the morons.
I have a friend in Tucson who is a Veteran, a good and moral person and a very big biker, and I don't even have to ask if he's going to be one of those hopefully very many good citizens of Tucson who will form a human wall 10 feet thick, to shield the loved ones mourning the devastating loss of innocent life. As a Vet, he despises the WBC for the abominable sacrilege those evil sub-humans commit at the funerals of fallen service people. I only wish I could go there and be part of that wall, but I know without asking that my friend will be carrying a piece of my heart.

R.I.P. to those lost.

Perversely, I also must support WBC's right to say whatever filth comes out of their mouths, because it is a very slippery slope when we start to curtail anyone's freedom of speech. I just hope that none of the mourners has to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies