Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:06 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times

Advertisements

Continous poverty is more often than not the result of hostile attitudes to responsiblity and education. I have seen this in play equally weither it's the backwoods whites in Applachia or the inner city blacks/latinos. Race seems to be an afterthought.

The only reason blacks always seem to be in the crosshairs is on one side you have racists who try to justify their ignorance by using inner city dysfunction as an example of our supposed "Inferiority", and on the other the excuse makers who use our history to explain why they fail to hold it down in life (along with the white guilt liberals who use them as pawns).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Continous poverty is more often than not the result of hostile attitudes to responsiblity and education. I have seen this in play equally weither it's the backwoods whites in Applachia or the inner city blacks/latinos. Race seems to be an afterthought.

The only reason blacks always seem to be in the crosshairs is on one side you have racists who try to justify their ignorance by using inner city dysfunction as an example of our supposed "Inferiority", and on the other the excuse makers who use our history to explain why they fail to hold it down in life (along with the white guilt liberals who use them as pawns).

That's right. Irresponsibility and poverty are human issues, not race issues, and so long as we fail to recognize and admit that fact, not much else will be accomplished but to feed the divide.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't care how all that affects black poverty. I care how it affects poverty....period.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM

45 posts, read 46,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's right. Irresponsibility and poverty are human issues, not race issues, and so long as we fail to recognize and admit that fact, not much else will be accomplished but to feed the divide.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't care how all that affects black poverty. I care how it affects poverty....period.
Actually race often becomes a cause of irresponsibility and poverty because we are racist. Said another way, humans tend to self-segregate along racial, religious, and ethnic lines. Each one of these aggregations tends to have their strengths and weaknesses. A black person living in Detroit may not inherently be irresponsible but becomes so because his aggregation (both being Black and in Detroit) has certain cultural characteristics that promote such behavior. Similararily an Asian is not inherently good at math but becomes so because his aggregation promotes/demands academic excellence in order to garner respect in the community.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronous View Post
Actually race often becomes a cause of irresponsibility and poverty because we are racist. Said another way, humans tend to self-segregate along racial, religious, and ethnic lines. Each one of these aggregations tends to have their strengths and weaknesses. A black person living in Detroit may not inherently be irresponsible but becomes so because his aggregation (both being Black and in Detroit) has certain cultural characteristics that promote such behavior. Similararily an Asian is not inherently good at math but becomes so because his aggregation promotes/demands academic excellence in order to garner respect in the community.
That's true. We do all tend to self-segregate and there's not much to be done by that. Forced intergration hasn't been just real successful at changing attitudes, has it?

But, using the prevailing social norms of any group as an excuse for failure is just that...an excuse. It denies personal responsibility and gives the shiftless an easy out. And, those who feed that lie, on both sides, are part of the problem, not the solution.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:58 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
The corroboration is what I and many others have personally seen day in and day out interacting with African Americans. The fact that there maybe not be an official study or survey (presuming the author's assertion is correct) does not change that. Even many African Americans have told me these behaviors and attitudes are pervasive in their community.
Don't know. Yea, it's pervasive in the AA community, but as i see it, it aint much different among most other groups either at this point. Here where i live, the apathy among white and hispanic youth is stunning.

In any case, i look at people as individuals anyway.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Yup, and another term for this is "Class" and "Culture", two things that we tend to avoid admitting, much less talk about in this country. The Right would rather continue to get political "mileage" out of focusing strictly on "race", while the Left basically considers the realities of class and culture to be "un-PC", or worse, "undemocratic" ideas. So "Race" usually ends up being the defacto issue whenever this sort of topic comes up, instead of examining the underlying (and self-perpetuating) values that are responsible.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's true. We do all tend to self-segregate and there's not much to be done by that. Forced intergration hasn't been just real successful at changing attitudes, has it?

But, using the prevailing social norms of any group as an excuse for failure is just that...an excuse. It denies personal responsibility and gives the shiftless an easy out. And, those who feed that lie, on both sides, are part of the problem, not the solution.
It is simply the reality on the ground, humans learn behaviors with whom they interact. That being said, it is not an excuse for failure. Self-responsibility has to be the norm otherwise people will have no motivation to improve themselves (e.g. I put on the pounds easily so there is no reason for me to control my diet and keep myself healthy). Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with attempts at outreach from one aggregation to another to promote positive attributes in the other. Obviously this should not be forced.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't know. Yea, it's pervasive in the AA community, but as i see it, it aint much different among most other groups either at this point. Here where i live, the apathy among white and hispanic youth is stunning.

In any case, i look at people as individuals anyway.
Of course there a subsets of every race that are irresponsible (e.g. white trash, hispanic gang bangers, etc.). I would disagree, however, that it is as pervasive in other communities. White kids seem less likely to follow the hip-hop thug lifestyle and have less cultural aversion to education then black kids do.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Interesting. May cause you to rethink somethings.
The first point is quite true as financial recklessness merged with conspicous consumption cuts across most if not all groups.

However, he is wrong on the second point and the evidence is pretty clear on that. I saw it with my own eyes for 6 straight years. Granted, fatalism is not part of the calculus- the situation need not be permanent. And other groups have exhibited such negative culture in the past and some others do today as well.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
I do volunteer work in "poor" neighborhoods, and what both black and white "underclass" folks seem to share that's part of their strength, but also part of their weakness, is a "tribal" or "clannish" sense that's just naturally suspicious of all "outsiders", even when they're there to provide help and resources. Maybe it's just cultural differences, but I don't see that tendency as much among asian or hispanic populations, who always seem happy to receive any assistance they can get. And it's probably no coincidence that these are also among the groups most likely to "succeed" and "rise above" whatever their current situations, while others choose to stick with the "familiar".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies