Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 02:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And so your argument is that atheists and marijuana users are more likely to kill people?
Have you looked back at these threads?

The liberals wanted so much to exploit this tragic incident and immediately believed it had something to do with Chrisitian Conservatives. Some are still having a difficult time accepting that since the guy turned out to be one of their own more than anything else that they really can't exploit this one for their own agenda.

But yes - atheists obviously don't believe in any God or sanctity of life - in the end it wouldnt matter if someone kills another person or not - there's no God or morality about it.

And the only drug so far mentioned with this guy is marijuana - the same drug given to the young killer arrested in Mexico who was decapitating head from his victims - his excuse was he was given marijuana and that led him to torture and kill.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

The liberals wanted so much to exploit this tragic incident and immediately believed it had something to do with Chrisitian Conservatives. Some are still having a difficult time accepting that since the guy turned out to be one of their own more than anything else that they really can't exploit this one for their own agenda.

But yes - atheists obviously don't believe in any God or sanctity of life - in the end it wouldnt matter if someone kills another person or not - there's no God or morality about it.

And the only drug so far mentioned with this guy is marijuana - the same drug given to the young killer arrested in Mexico who was decapitating head from his victims - his excuse was he was given marijuana and that led him to torture and kill.
Wow. You really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to atheists and marijuana users.

You can believe whatever you want, but it's coming across as ignorance.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 AM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, but your comments are soooooo ridiculous, I actually have to laugh... and I really don't want to laugh in the face of a tragedy. Nobody knows his political leanings (unless I've missed an update), both sides are slinging mud, the righties would react exactly the same if the tables were turned, marijuana doesn't cause violence, and Atheists don't kill people just because they don't believe in a god. Are we clear on all of that now?

For the record, I've seen just about EVERY tragedy or notable news story exploited for political agendas, coming from all sides of the spectrum. If somebody with a Hispanic-sounding name (whether or not we know their immigration status) kills somebody, they turn it into a debate on illegal immigration... if anyone is shot it's fodder for gun control advocates... if a child is murdered by somebody with a criminal past, it becomes a debate on stricter prison sentences... should I continue? It's human nature to debate everything, and use whatever one can to further their personal agendas - doesn't make it right, but you can get off the high horse of "only liberals would do this" now.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-09-2011 at 03:36 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,068 times
Quote:

So in one sentence you point out the ignorance of people who want to pin this event on some right-wing stereotype...

...and in the next you try to pin this event on some left-wing stereotype?

Do you understand the irony here?

You do realize that you're just as bad as the people you criticize...don't you?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Please quit using e.g. smoke marijuana and atheists to equate a murderer. It's offensive.
I completely agree - it's disgusting, in fact. I'm a pot smoker, a raging independent-libertarian, from San Francisco (home of the devil, according to some), and a "culturally Jewish Atheist." Oh geez, you'd better not let me near a gun, because I might just shoot people indiscriminately!!! Yeah, the pot is making me a violent lunatic... and because I don't believe in a god-thingy, obviously I don't care one iota about human life. Right?? Puuuuuuulease.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-09-2011 at 03:05 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Sadly for you he was not a Palin supporter, he is unfortunately one of yours. He is a liberal pot head - far more connection to pot use than to Palin support.
Do you have sources to support this theory? Or is it just your own speculation?

Quote:
How about examining the effects of heavy pot use instead since there is a very clear link with pot and this violent individual?
They already have studied the effects, and it's been shown to do little in the long run... it can cause reversible short-term memory loss and a lack of motivation, but never has been linked to violence or schizophrenia. Alcohol, on the other hand, is linked to a very high percentage of violent acts. And the last time I checked, conservatives like their booze as much as any liberal (perhaps even more). Nice try, though.

FYI: Many many MANY conservatives smoke pot, as evidenced by the numerous threads we've had here on the subject... usually everyone on both sides agrees pot should be legal, aside from one or two who get shot down quickly (by liberals and conservatives alike).

Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
The states that can be considered "the mecca for prejudice and bigotry" are liberal states like California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, etc. I have a family member who lives in Connecticut, a very liberal state full of racists and bigots, and she is extremely prejudiced and bigoted.
Oh, so ONE example is a good excuse for calling an entire state bigoted? Okay, whatever. I've lived in a total of 4 different states and around 10 different cities, and by FAR the most "peaceful and tolerant" has been San Francisco... whoops, there goes the theory of liberalism breeding intolerance.

Be careful when you speak of states like NY & CA, since they have 2 of the 3 largest populations in the United States... so obviously the numbers (for everything) will be higher, and thus you can only fairly compare percentages. You also have to consider the diversity in these states, and the fact that we have almost as many conservatives as liberals - yup, I bet you all forgot that CA is around 35% Republican and only 44% Democrat (the rest being independents). D'oh!!

http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/jtf...rofilesJTF.pdf

Old 01-09-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
His thinking is disorganized, like a schizophrenic. He's not thinking like a wacko Tim Mcveigh type character.
They stated in one report that he'd been treated for schizophrenia (or recommended treatment? I don't recall the exact wording). I imagine that is the true culprit, mental illness - not politics, weed, The Communist Manifesto, Atheism, Nazism, or the fact that our moon is waning today. Mental illness is to blame for many violent acts, and I would guess (note -GUESS) it's to blame in this case. I only wish he'd been treated, or that people around him had acted when they saw any signs of danger... then maybe it wouldn't have culminated in a horrible tragedy, as in the case of the Columbine shootings and other such incidents.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
Since when were Sheriffs politicians?
They became politicians when they started to be ELECTED to office.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
It's funny how the media has painted Arizona as a far right conservative state when the majority of this states' politicians were Democrat just prior to the elections. The state also had a Democrat for a governor (Janet Napolitano) and was replaced by Jan Brewer. Giffords is a Democrat who was re-elected. This attack took place in Tucson which is left leaning Democrat heavy city; Phoenix and Maricopa is recognized as the Republican/Conservative base. The state just voted for medical marijuana which is not something right wing states do. In 2006, the state was the first in the nation to reject an anti-gay marriage law and Tempe's mayor was openly gay and the residents have always suspected Janet Napolitano for being gay yet voted for her. Arizona is a libertarian state that tends to vote Republican because we want to reduce government spending and taxes.

Can you imagine if this assault took place in Phoenix in which the victim was Democratic congressman Raul Grijalva? No instead, we have a 20 year old lunatic from Tucson who shot a Tucson congresswoman and now the attack is somehow a "bigoted and prejudiced act"

Why is it that when something happens in Arizona, it's a bigoted and racist act even though the victim was Caucasian and the attacker was Caucasian and the issue was over a slew of political issues. The attacker was also likely a schizophrenic based on his words.

I live in Arizona now. I've lived in Texas, Tennessee and Oklahoma and this place is far far less prejudice and bigoted than those states. I'm Hispanic and I've been treated far better in Arizona than I ever was in those other states and I have yet to personally experience racism here whereas I had experienced it in those states whether it was being pulled over by police, receiving bad service in restaurants or being called a "beaner" by own physician colleagues. I've never seen more interracial relationships and interracial couples between African Americans and Caucasians than in Arizona and that was fairly taboo in those other states.

I also drive through a Border Patrol stop on a regular basis on my way to work and I'm Hispanic. I've never been harrassed or mistreated. In fact, it's the opposite. People are respectful and they simply ask if I'm a U.S. citizen without asking for my driver's license or making me get out of my car or other nonsense you might have heard. In reality, the state is a lot different than what is depicted by the media.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-09-2011 at 03:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies