Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
To be a member of the Swiss Guard you must be Catholic.

To be a member of the taliban you must believe in Islam.

What's the difference?
The difference? The differences, you mean? Because there are several.

The Swiss Guard is the military unit charged with defense of the Vatican, which is the home of the Pope who is the head of the Catholic church. Of course you would need to be a Catholic to have any place at all in the Vatican.

The Taliban is an 'enforcement' arm of Islam. Of course one would need to believe in Islam and identify as Moslem to be a member of the Taliban.

However, in THIS country, we have citizens of every belief and no belief. We have a constitutional guarantee of freedom to believe as suits each of us and not be forced to express belief in that in which we have no belief. As we have such diversity of beliefs and non-beliefs in this country, would it not be wise to reflect that diversity in our military? Because our military is supposed to defend and protect the rights of all of us, believers and non-believers alike, is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post

However, in THIS country, we have citizens of every belief and no belief. We have a constitutional guarantee of freedom to believe as suits each of us and not be forced to express belief in that in which we have no belief. As we have such diversity of beliefs and non-beliefs in this country, would it not be wise to reflect that diversity in our military? Because our military is supposed to defend and protect the rights of all of us, believers and non-believers alike, is it not?
[/font]
Does this prohibit anyone from practicing a religion other than Christianity? Does it force a form of Christianity on anyone?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The God I prayed to in 'Nam was not the gentile Jesus. It was a triumvirate of Odin, Tyr and Thor. They, and way more fear and adrenaline than tolerable, gave me the speed and ferocity I needed to stay alive. I had all the purpose I needed: The rush of the natural drugs and the love of winning.

PS: I don’t let that guy out of his cage very often.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So what?

Honestly. Get over it. The majority of Americans claim to believe in God. Is it a bad thing to want to give soldiers something to fall back on when the going gets tough?

Seriously...get over yourself and stop trying to impose your values on us.
How about YOU stop trying to impose YOUR values on EVERYONE ELSE?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
How about YOU stop trying to impose YOUR values on EVERYONE ELSE?
Right after you guys stop trying to impose your values on us.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Does this prohibit anyone from practicing a religion other than Christianity? Does it force a form of Christianity on anyone?
What it does is it infers that a soldier being given this test is somehow "broken" if he holds to no belief in God. It infers that a person who holds to no beliefs in even some kind of 'spirituality' will not be able to cope with the things that happen during or after a war.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Quote:
Does it force a form of Christianity on anyone?
Yes, if you score low on the spirituality test you have to take remedial classes to make to think right.

"Cornum's claims that soldiers are not required to participate in remedial training if they score poorly on the spiritual portion of the test were not articulated to Griffith and other soldiers, who told Truthout they feared they would be disciplined by their superior officers if they didn't act on the recommendations they received after taking the exam. In fact, nowhere on the test does it state that such training is voluntary."

Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Right after you guys stop trying to impose your values on us.

Atheists, Jews, Buddhists, Sikhs and others don't go around trying to recruit/convert others to their religion.
Muslims and Christians do. So the imposing can only be done by the two of them .

Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times
True statement plannine.
As a JEW, I've had more Christians hand me the same old, tired line....."Have you found JESUS yet?"

I always give them the same answer:

"I didn't know he was lost?"

Steve

Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Yes, if you score low on the spirituality test you have to take remedial classes to make to think right.

"Cornum's claims that soldiers are not required to participate in remedial training if they score poorly on the spiritual portion of the test were not articulated to Griffith and other soldiers, who told Truthout they feared they would be disciplined by their superior officers if they didn't act on the recommendations they received after taking the exam. In fact, nowhere on the test does it state that such training is voluntary."
Hey, no free will here.

What kinda God did the Army draft?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies