Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Maybe probable cause could not be established at the time. Maybe there were more pressing actual crimes going on which needed the manpower to investigate. Law enforcement does not have infinite resources. How many calls do you think the Tucson Police Department and/or Pima County Sheriff's Department get each day? How many officers do they have on duty? Out of those officers, how many do you think are actually trained investigators?

After numerous complaints it might warrant a background check, don't you think? I would bet they wish they had taken the time to do those now. And for the Sherrif to come out and make inflamatory statements in such an unprofessional manner, after their neglect, is suspect to me. JMO

Old 01-11-2011, 03:53 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:

Carrying guns on the streets just opens the door for more violence.
Weird how that isn't the reality...

But it makes some people feel better.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:54 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I live outside the Beltway, way outside. We don't live and breathe for what's happening there. The reason(s) I probably never heard about it prior to posting on CD probably are: 1) I'm not much of a movie goer; 2) My local theaters were not among the 143 in all the US in a fourteen day period that showed it.

Again, I don't deal in fantasy. Maybe you should get a job in Hollywood, writing fantasy shows.
That's kind of a weird response. You learn someone made a film about killing Bush and you shrug. Palin does nothing and you accuse her of instigating murder.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
That's kind of a weird response. You learn someone made a film about killing Bush and you shrug. Palin does nothing and you accuse her of instigating murder.
Actually her response was to point out that the movie had a very limited audience, while Palin and other political figures have a huge audience. Also, movie goers probably did not feel as passionately about the movie topic as many people who are fans of political figures feel about those figures. There are many fans of political commentators who cannot abide criticism of those political commentators, and their defenses can be irrational at times. There are very few movies (maybe The Godfather, or Star Wars?) that inspire similar fealty.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Because making a film is "art" didn't you know that???

It makes me vomit that people are actually blaming Republicans for what happened-how about blame the gunman who was very mentally ill and was mad at the Congresswoman for speaking spanish to him..like that makes sense...

Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,424 times
Quote:
Here is where we disagree. When I see people such as Beck or Palin or Limbaugh or Hannity, etc., take responsibility for their words and then see them tone it down, I will start to believe that. Seems to me that at this time Limbaugh has just said basically "don't blame us"....and Palin has been very quiet, except for the email to Beck.....which, IMO, sounds rather defensive, not owning responsibility for her words.

If I were at a concert and became overcome with emotion and said "I'm so happy right now I just wish I could die" and some nut case killed me...is it my fault?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:05 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
After numerous complaints it might warrant a background check, don't you think? I would bet they wish they had taken the time to do those now. And for the Sherrif to come out and make inflamatory statements in such an unprofessional manner, after their neglect, is suspect to me. JMO
I'm not sure that "four" complaints over a period of time, in a large city, would be considered "numerous" enough to take resources from one area and use them to check out those complaints. They didn't do that, so it could very well mean that they were very busy with actual crimes.

You see, I think law enforcement would have had to have a "reason" to pursue Loughner further, like, for example, disturbing the peace, or some specific violation of the law. Do you know what the people said when they called to report him?

As for the Sheriff's comments, IMO, they were made because that is the way he felt; not that he was trying to "hide" anything at all. If he were trying to hide, I think it would definitely not have brought so much attention to himself! The guy is 75 years old and has been around for a long time. I think his age alone should garner some respect. He is a very experienced law enforcement officer and he has seen a lot in this world as a human being by virtue of his age. Many people agreed with his assessment.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
If I were at a concert and became overcome with emotion and said "I'm so happy right now I just wish I could die" and some nut case killed me...is it my fault?
Totally different thing from people like Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, etc. who have a huge megaphone and influence lots of people. Have you ever noticed all the posts on this site defending Glenn Beck?

Besides that, assisted suicide in this country is illegal.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Because making a film is "art" didn't you know that???

It makes me vomit that people are actually blaming Republicans for what happened-how about blame the gunman who was very mentally ill and was mad at the Congresswoman for speaking spanish to him..like that makes sense...
He is being blamed.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,508 times
Take responsibility for their words???? It's called FREEDOM of Speech and no one said "gee I wish someone would kill a congress woman." Get off of it! When Obama said during campaining " they bring knives, we bring guns." Did anyone really believe he had guns? When the Gov. of WV used a gun on a televised commercial to shoot the Healthcare law-did anyone really think "huh I think I'm going to kill a person who voted for that law, and he must think it's okay."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies