Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,033,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I'm torn.

On one hand, I realize it is a standard liberal talking point to blame the shooting on conservative talk radio, and there's no proof or evidence to support that claim.

on the other hand, i listen to conservative talk radio, and those people are seriously hateful, paranoid, and ignorant. i would not be shocked if the ultra-right wing propaganda had some affect on him. I find myself growing angry when I hear the things they say that go unrebutted time and time again that resembles brainwashing.

the article reported that the crazy kid sat in his math class, and demanded that "6 was 18", and when pressed about it, said, "How can you deny the reality of math?"--- or something equally absurd. On one hand this could be totally meaningless.. but on the other hand, it does remind me of the way that O'Reilley, Limbaugh, and Beck will make their ideologically-driven points. Their style of argument makes no room for new facts; it dictates the facts, and then it berates you and mocks you if you don't agree with those facts.

It also occured to me that "6 was 18" could be a crazy person's way of understanding the monetary system, since he referred to his tuition as being "paid illegally" since it was in fiat money, rather than silver and gold.
I do believe it's a mistake to try and rationalize the thought process of the mentally ill. If you are a rational person, it will never make sense.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I do believe it's a mistake to try and rationalize the thought process of the mentally ill. If you are a rational person, it will never make sense.
well, not all mentally illnesses are the same. Jung, for example, felt that psychiatrists should try and understand the thought processes of these types of people.

i'm no psychiatrist, and i haven't read much about this kid. i just think that, given what i have read, there could definitely have been some political motivation on his part.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,033,260 times
Quote:
well, not all mentally illnesses are the same. Jung, for example, felt that psychiatrists should try and understand the thought processes of these types of people.

i'm no psychiatrist, and i haven't read much about this kid. i just think that, given what i have read, there could definitely have been some political motivation on his part.
Thus far, all evidence points to that not being the case. Apparently, it goes back to 2007 when he asked her a question and she did not answer his non-sensical question in a manner that he deemed "literate". I guess he focused on her since that point. Quite sad and disturbing all at once.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Randy weaver is white supremacist and they should have got him also. Good to know you support him.

Believe everything the federal government tells you?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Absolutely no difference in my eyes. The fact you think they are different is telling. I would start a thread on it but who cares they are the same. Both of these groups are right wingers and since when do right wingers just stay where they are and leave everyone else alone?

Randy Weaver was bothering someone?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,822 times
This reminds me a bit of the case in the 80's, where a couple of kids shot themselves and Judas Priest went to trial because they had been listening to their music. I think the same happened to Ozzy Osbourne. More recently, Marilyn Manson took a lot of unfair blame for the Columbine shootings because they were fans of his music, and as we all know, listening to Marilyn Manson will make you want to kill people. Personally, Foghat brings out my mean side, but each to their own.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:54 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,137,302 times
Quote:

Bat**** craziness often finds a political or religious context in which to work.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM

[quote=Jill61;17363712]One witness said that after Loughner had been taken down, someone had retrieved his gun and was standing there holding it. That's when the witness came on the scene and he thought the guy standing there with the gun was the shooter. Thank G-d he didn't have a gun on him, or he might have shot down a completely innocent man!

Having an armed public start participating in a shooting match is a very dangerous thing that can only result in even more unnecessary deaths.

Right, that would be the only "possible" outcome. A CCW holder returning fire and saving lives would certainly be impossible. Thanks for pointing that out Jill61!

You make a good point. When Loughner started firing into the crowd, they should have called 911 then waited for the police to arrive. Great plan Jill61!

As memory serves me that strategy worked great at Virginia Tech also. Good thing no one had a gun there because that could have turned into a "shooting match". Another great point Jill61!

"Thank G-d he didn't have a gun on him, or he might have shot down a completely innocent man!"

Good thing it was just the other 13 innocent people!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:22 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,831 times
Default talk radio

Quote:
I'm torn.

On one hand, I realize it is a standard liberal talking point to blame the shooting on conservative talk radio, and there's no proof or evidence to support that claim.

on the other hand, i listen to conservative talk radio, and those people are seriously hateful, paranoid, and ignorant. i would not be shocked if the ultra-right wing propaganda had some affect on him. I find myself growing angry when I hear the things they say that go unrebutted time and time again that resembles brainwashing.
1. it was noted he didn't listen to talk radio.

2. ever listened to a liberal talk show? OMG, the filth and rhetoric is insanity. I prefer listening to Deep Purple or Blue Oyster Cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies