Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,543,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Sigh again...

That was my point...the NOI and NBP are not the same as the NAACP.

White supremacist and white separatists aren't the same either.
Absolutely no difference in my eyes. The fact you think they are different is telling. I would start a thread on it but who cares they are the same. Both of these groups are right wingers and since when do right wingers just stay where they are and leave everyone else alone?

Last edited by enemy country; 01-11-2011 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,782,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Freedom of speech is not the issue, you can always chose how you speak. If you are a representative of government, running for office or a radio./TV host you should be able to undertand the divisiveness of your actions.

There has been a dramatic change in public discourse and civility over the last decade that does not bode well for our country. Go attend a meeting on the public health care debate where they need police officers present and you tell me if the method people handle themselves is acceptable. There are people that are heavily influenced by politicians and the media, I am not blaming Palin but everyone needs to take a look at themselves.

There simply isn't any link between rhetoric and violence.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Americans are not free to say anything they want. That question has been asked, and answered, by the Supreme Court.

Limits to free speech are severly limited. See flag burning. I don't think anyone wants to cede any of their freedoms.

19,567 posts, read 21,899,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Absolutely no difference in my eyes. The fact you think they are different is telling. I would start a thread on it but who cares they are the same.
I apologise,I thought you were fluent in the English language and could grasp not all words have the same meaning.

22,229 posts, read 17,887,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
There is no direct or indirect link.

Anyone who apologizes for this shooting, other than the criminal himself, is just plain foolish.

This is a chance to bash right wing radio and right wing pundits.

Nothing more, nothing less.

That is, until they come forward with some evidence to prove otherwise.
Obviously all people are reasonable and sane, none susceptible to hate and violence speech, direct or indirect. We certainly should not bash right or left wing pundits that do exercise their right to free speech. After all, they could not possibly move anyone to be violent. Right?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,626,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
There's been a lot of shouting today about the role of inflammatory rhetoric in the Tucson shootings, but Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are having none of it. Beck took aim at Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, who, in the wake of the shootings, called Arizona a "mecca for intolerance and bigotry," reports the Arizona Republic . All Beck sees in Dupnik is "a sheriff who has no facts and blames it on talk radio."

Limbaugh, Beck: Don't Blame Us for Jared Loughner - Limbaugh calls it 'embarrassing day for media'
He's right. They started out immediately blaming Palin--putting her crosshairs map up for people to see. Then it changed to talk show host. They seem to be bent on blaming anyone but the nut job that did it.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,899,926 times
Quote:
Obviously all people are reasonable and sane, none susceptible to hate and violence speech, direct or indirect. We certainly should not bash right or left wing pundits that do exercise their right to free speech. After all, they could not possibly move anyone to be violent. Right?
What words,speech or imagery would make you commit murder?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,543,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I apologise,I thought you were fluent in the English language and could grasp not all words have the same meaning.
What ever soothes you down in the low country.

Quote:
The insane can be motivated by anything, video games, music, animals (son of Sam said a dog spoke to him). You can't organize your actions around what could possibly trigger nuts to act.

20,948 posts, read 19,083,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I suggest the Left look inward and deal with its own "hate speech" issues, and the Right can do the same. Neither should take responsibility for the actions of a violent lunatic.

I have noticed that there does seem to be a "blame anyone but the person responsible" theme running through liberal politics. We see it in discussions about crime, poverty, or even whether your McDonald's coffee is too hot . . .
"Hate speech" is far different than "inflammatory rhetoric".

Yet again, the left is grabbing an opportunity to play the blame game due to the actions of someone who much closer resembles them, than the one's on which they are laying blame.

The truth is, he's a pot smoking, drop out, military reject, communist, racist atheist. and the left is treating him as a victim of the right.

Go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.