Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 06:24 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Maybe probable cause could not be established at the time. Maybe there were more pressing actual crimes going on which needed the manpower to investigate. Law enforcement does not have infinite resources. How many calls do you think the Tucson Police Department and/or Pima County Sheriff's Department get each day? How many officers do they have on duty? Out of those officers, how many do you think are actually trained investigators?
Threats of violence should always be investigated even if the police dept is busy.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,039 times
Default Perhaps Not Even A 16 Lb. Sledge Hammer Will Be Adequate !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Absolutely not. I am simply pointing out the absurdity of your position. Because I can't prove that he wasn't influenced by Palin et al we must be open to the possibility he was, even though there is no evidence. So if that is the case we then must be open to the possibility that he was influenced by you because you can't pove he wasn't.

Look, there is no evidence direct or circumstantial. His public videos in no way mention them or any of the ideas they expouse. The reality is the only political video uses left wing imagery (flag burning). No one who knew him came forward to say he was right wing or ever discussed Palin et al or their ideas. The reality is they have said he was a left wing pot head.

The bottom line is he was a nut who killed for no reason.
shorebaby !!! ... BRAVO !

Keep on ah "Hammerin Away" at the big ole thick "Brick Wall" that a select few of these little CDF buddies have constructed to absolutely prevent any and all common sense and understanding from entering their seemingly very small brains !

Use your biggest sledgehammer and batter away ! Keep up the great work !

Perhaps some special day in a galaxy far, far away you may just succeed in establishing a very small chip or crack in that massive wall !!!

Thanks Y'ALL / Old Sgt. Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 01-11-2011 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Sledge Hammer Too Light In Weight !

Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Threats of violence should always be investigated even if the police dept is busy.
Police Departments and Sheriff's Offices set their own priorities. I'm not defending them. I'm just thinking in terms of numbers what they deal with in a big city. Could be that they rec'd a lot of threats of violence in domestic situations where someone was threatening a spouse with a knife or a gun, or beating a woman........realistically, they can only cover the most urgent calls first. Words certainly do mean something, but when you have to choose between someone sounding crazy and verbally threatening someone and a situation where indeed a person is close to actual physical violence toward another person, what do you do?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,039 times
Default America's Problem with it's absolute "Wackos" On The Far, Far L___ !!!

[quote=chattypatty;17362559]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The insane can be motivated by anything, video games, music, animals (son of Sam said a dog spoke to him). You can't organize your actions around what could possibly trigger nuts to act.[/quote]

Exactly right.

Honestly, sometimes I think Ann Coulter was right - liberalism is a mental illness. The lengths to which those on the left will go to try to blame Palin, Rush, Beck, O'Reilly for this lunatic's actions are, well, lunatic!
chattypatty !!! ... on The Money!

You dang right ! So many of the "Looney Left" buddies may well be classified as "Acute Mental Midgets" ! How Frigggin Sad !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,315 times
Quote:
Police Departments and Sheriff's Offices set their own priorities. I'm not defending them. I'm just thinking in terms of numbers what they deal with in a big city. Could be that they rec'd a lot of threats of violence in domestic situations where someone was threatening a spouse with a knife or a gun, or beating a woman........realistically, they can only cover the most urgent calls first. Words certainly do mean something, but when you have to choose between someone sounding crazy and verbally threatening someone and a situation where indeed a person is close to actual physical violence toward another person, what do you do?

Do you realize that big cities have big departments? Do you REALLY think that it is acceptable that threats weren't investigated? Burgularies, accidents, things like that I can see. Not threats of physical violence. That's preposterous.

The Sherrif has certainly had time to be on TV and give his "opinion" on this matter. Guess he isn't too busy to politicize this...just too busy to do the job that people PAY him to do.

It's being said that his comments may influence this case. Have you heard that?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,811 times
If you want to designate one person who doesn't believe in democracy, start with our current President and Micromanager-In-Chief.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Do you realize that big cities have big departments? Do you REALLY think that it is acceptable that threats weren't investigated? Burgularies, accidents, things like that I can see. Not threats of physical violence. That's preposterous.

The Sherrif has certainly had time to be on TV and give his "opinion" on this matter. Guess he isn't too busy to politicize this...just too busy to do the job that people PAY him to do.

It's being said that his comments may influence this case. Have you heard that?
Tucson is a city with a population of about half a million. Pima County has a population of about a million. The Tucson Police Department and the Pima County Sheriff's Department have their hands full, I"m sure.

Sheriff Dupnik may not be who you think he is. Check out the link to find out what his real position on SB 1070 turned out to be.

"But a look through Dupnik's past reveals a much more complex figure than his current portrayal as a liberal Democratic crusader. Dupnik first joined the Tucson Police Department in 1958, was appointed sheriff of Pima County in 1980, and has won re-election ever since. Perpetually over-tasked and under-resourced, Dupnik's force has the near-impossible job of dealing with not just the usual case load, but also the continuous flow of illegal immigrants from Mexico. In 1981, Dupnik sent a message to all residents: Arm yourselves. Police couldn't adequately protect the populace, he said, because they didn't have sufficient manpower: "Not only are things not good, they are going to get worse. For those who are so inclined, it's time to start protecting yourselves." ..."

Sheriff Clarence Dupnik Isn't Who You Think He Is - Chris Good - Politics - The Atlantic#

Old 01-11-2011, 09:10 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,315 times
Quote:
Tucson is a city with a population of about half a million. Pima County has a population of about a million. The Tucson Police Department and the Pima County Sheriff's Department have their hands full, I"m sure.

Sheriff Dupnik may not be who you think he is. Check out the link to find out what his real position on SB 1070 turned out to be.

"But a look through Dupnik's past reveals a much more complex figure than his current portrayal as a liberal Democratic crusader. Dupnik first joined the Tucson Police Department in 1958, was appointed sheriff of Pima County in 1980, and has won re-election ever since. Perpetually over-tasked and under-resourced, Dupnik's force has the near-impossible job of dealing with not just the usual case load, but also the continuous flow of illegal immigrants from Mexico. In 1981, Dupnik sent a message to all residents: Arm yourselves. Police couldn't adequately protect the populace, he said, because they didn't have sufficient manpower: "Not only are things not good, they are going to get worse. For those who are so inclined, it's time to start protecting yourselves." ..."

Sheriff Clarence Dupnik Isn't Who You Think He Is - Chris Good - Politics - The Atlantic#

Most people have their hands full right now I'm sure. I read the link and looked at the crime chart. It doesn't change my opinion that if this guy was reported (now I'm hearing 5) times for threats there is no excuse for not doing a background check. How long does it take to google his name?
Especially when you chose to come out with a divisive opinion that could affect a Federal lawsuit. Very unprofessional, IMO.

Have you EVER seen a law enforcement officer give an opinion at a press conference with an ongoing investigation? Can you give me a link for that EVER happening?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Most people have their hands full right now I'm sure. I read the link and looked at the crime chart. It doesn't change my opinion that if this guy was reported (now I'm hearing 5) times for threats there is no excuse for not doing a background check. How long does it take to google his name?
Especially when you chose to come out with a divisive opinion that could affect a Federal lawsuit. Very unprofessional, IMO.

Have you EVER seen a law enforcement officer give an opinion at a press conference with an ongoing investigation? Can you give me a link for that EVER happening?
The Ted Bundy case. Don't know if I can find a link. The Sheriff or Police Chief....dont' remember which.....appeared on TV with Bundy. Ultimately, there was a change of venue because of the things the Sheriff said.

However, the Pima County Sheriff's comments were different.

It's easy to judge what someone else should have done. I simply disagree with you as to whether or not the complaints should have been handled differently, MAINLY because I haven't seen the complaints, don't know to whom the complaints were made, don't know specifically what the complaints were...........I haven't seen anything official regarding complaints filed with Police Dept. or Sheriff's Dept. Could be that a couple complaints were filed with Police, and a couple filed with Sheriff. Did the people complaining get a copy of any police report? Just too many questions unanswered. Again, you can be sure that if such complaints were filed, the defense attorney will find them if they're out there.

Obviously you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this subject. Looks like neither of us will have a change of heart.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Anyone who used metaphors of guns or violence to make a political point, needs to apologize for their crude behavior. Anyone who does not publicly apologize for this, does not have good character and should not be trusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies