Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

I think the term is used way too casually.

In order to be called a hate group, I believe the group would have to commit violence against their targets, or fight for legislation that would restrict their adversaries' legal rights. Simply disagreeing with someone or a group of people shouldn't result in being labeled as "hate".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 12:47 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,414 times
Someone who specifically hates a group of people and what they stand for. My definition isn't as broad as yours but I mostly agree.
What about people who hate "hate groups"? lol

Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
People who disagree with Barack Obama. Even those who dont share his favorite sports teams.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

In order to be called a hate group, I believe the group would have to commit violence against their targets, or fight for legislation that would restrict their adversaries' legal rights. Simply disagreeing with someone or a group of people shouldn't result in being labeled as "hate".
I agree, but would expand your definition a bit to include those whose words and/or deeds foster a climate of hate and violence.

And to be clear, I include especially those in, or aspiring to, public office who blithely talk about "second amendment solutions" or who use cross-hairs on a map to identify political opponents.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
I don't categorise groups in this manner,I also find 'hate speech' and 'hate crimes' to just be a way to satisfy those who cannot think for themselves.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:

I think any institution, group, gathering of two or more people, that deliberately targets an ethnic, sexual, physical, or ethnic group as someone that they would like controlled or eradicated would be considered a hate group.

But when you are supporting one group, and not another, like the NAACP for instance, thats not a hate group. They don't have a problem with other ethnic groups doing fine, but they are out to help specifically "colored" people.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 PM

352 posts, read 187,310 times
Quote:

Definition, by exemplar DNC

Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
palin picture
Really, what a silly response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
People who disagree with Barack Obama. Even those who dont share his favorite sports teams.
I hope you're trying to be funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I will start with MSNBC and
You and the palin poster are the same idiot on the opposite side of the coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
Definition, by exemplar DNC
Political folks aren't hate groups, neither Palin or Obama. If you feel that way, please, get your head checked. If you're just trying to fire back, there are better ways of doing so.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

You and the palin poster are the same idiot on the opposite side of the coin

Old 01-09-2011, 01:03 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

No he/she is PROBABLY dead serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies