Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

A little-noticed Homeland Security document reveals government plans to extend the controversial body scan beyond airports. When Uncle Sam started peeking at the genitals of U.S. travelers, apologists insisted that his prying eyes were justified. Hadn't terrorists hijacked airplanes on 9/11? John Pistole, head of the Transportation Security Administration, insisted that upset Americans could always choose not to fly. What he neglected to mention is that his bosses at the Department of Homeland Security intend to use various kinds of body-scanning technology elsewhere in American life. That's clearer than ever if you read the recently updated "privacy impact assessment" that the agency published."

Homeland Security Dept. To Extend Body Scans Beyond Airports - The Daily Beast

The article goes on to intimate that cost is what's keeping it from happening now.

In your opinion, what will the public's reaction be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Nothing says "safety" like surrendering our civil liberties and personal freedoms to uneducated thugs carrying out the programs of a government agency run by bereaucrats.

The icing on the cake is that it will cost billions to implement and we'll end up poorer and no safer for the whole boondoggle.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Most of this is about money, not safety. If congress made a law to disbanded the TSA, told airlines to hire private companies to do the job and barred purchasing machines produced by any company that had ex-Homeland Security employees on their board of directors then Government's internest in all of this would dry up really fast.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
The public should call for the elimination of Homeland Security and TSA... it is a waste of money and focuses on harassing citizens, violating their rights and privacy.

My ideal presidential candidate would be for this, the elimination of the Patriot Act, and stopping the wars.

Then we could focus of reinventing our economy. Educating the people and so forth.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:08 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
The public should call for the elimination of Homeland Security and TSA... it is a waste of money and focuses on harassing citizens, violating their rights and privacy.

My ideal presidential candidate would be for this, the elimination of the Patriot Act, and stopping the wars.

Then we could focus of reinventing our economy. Educating the people and so forth.
I think a lot of Obama supporters believed that, once elected, Obama would do all of these things.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I think a lot of Obama supporters believed that, once elected, Obama would do all of these things.
I think a lot of people, no matter who or if they voted, were hoping ...

Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
I know that is what I thought.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Picking him over the possibily of Palin in power was a factor too. I didn't really expect much of him and haven't been dissapointed. I just wish someone with REAL convictions would accept the responsibility of guiding us from this mess. I share the op's wishes... abolish the patriot act, the TSA and Homeland security. I'd add RICO so it wouldn't be there to rebuild with.

I listened a lot to what Obama said while campaining and it amounted to nothing. No real mention of issues (applies to all of them, sadly). Someone on the staff who can write wonderful pr speeches where you suggest without saying and the listener can hear exactly what they want. Pure politician. I don't think he's evil. I think he's way out of his league with the insiders pulling the strings as they will whoever of whatever party is in power unless someone is willing to take a stand.

Sadly, politicans don't anymore. It's like they are all genetically modified to be nice manicans for someone playing with the controls.

I had a conversation with a friend last night, dedicated liberal, and she dispises the whole security mess. But shes... well can't do anything about it so just enjoy life. Like so many others on the other side who grumble but participate. I think our only hope left is for the people to take a stand and insist. Even if it doesn't work you have to try and not just give away rights like the good people of Germany did.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Give them an inch and they take the whole ruler.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
A little-noticed Homeland Security document reveals government plans to extend the controversial body scan beyond airports. When Uncle Sam started peeking at the genitals of U.S. travelers, apologists insisted that his prying eyes were justified. Hadn't terrorists hijacked airplanes on 9/11? John Pistole, head of the Transportation Security Administration, insisted that upset Americans could always choose not to fly. What he neglected to mention is that his bosses at the Department of Homeland Security intend to use various kinds of body-scanning technology elsewhere in American life. That's clearer than ever if you read the recently updated "privacy impact assessment" that the agency published."

Homeland Security Dept. To Extend Body Scans Beyond Airports - The Daily Beast

The article goes on to intimate that cost is what's keeping it from happening now.

In your opinion, what will the public's reaction be?
If they are body scanning for anything other than airports, then I'm not going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies