Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 PM

55 posts, read 70,266 times

Advertisements

SANTA ANA, Calif. -- Three and a half years ago, Kathleen Cooke was breathing easy. Having left her well-paying job for a new career as a teacher, she spent a blissful summer with her kids, sipping lemonade and baking cookies.

But within months, the life she had built evaporated. When she failed to secure a new job, she entered a steady downward spiral that eventually led her to a homeless shelter. Homelessness, once an abstract idea, had become real.

Homelessness In The Middle Class: Stable Families Reduced To Poverty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
She quit her job; she's not a victim, she failed.

Geez, how stable are you if you quit a job with nothing to fall back on?
She wanted to play for the summer, well, she had responsibilities.

This is a problem of her very own making.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
You don't even need to lose your job. All it takes is a chronic illness or any number of medical problems really.

Medical bills underlie 60 percent of U.S. bankrupts: study | Reuters

Old 01-13-2011, 02:14 PM

But that wasn't the case in the example he used.

Yes, people in the US vote against their own best interest.
As you posted, most bankruptcies in the US are related to medical bills, yet these people fight against universal health care.
Just wait until they lose everything and then they'll be the first to whine.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

How much is enough to fall back on? I think one needs to realize this was 3.5 years ago BEFORE the recession was declared. Back in 2007 things weren't looking like they are now. Hindsight IS always 20/20. Also, she's at an age in which she grew up in an era where people could take off years to spend with their kids and still get back into the workforce. How was she to know?

Anyway, I left my job in 2009. I started in 2008. I quit after one day and they convinced me to stay on. I stayed on - HUGE MISTAKE ON MY PART. Back then jobs were easier to find but even taking that job really messed things up for me. Things are not always so cut and dried. I was turning into a nervous wreck and it just wasn't worth it, not to mention we were treated like crap and I feared an eventual termination for not meeting quota numbers (which was NOT part of the deal when I accepted the job).

I think we're seeing a real shift. Instead of blaming our fellow Americans, let's try blaming the greedy jerks who have outsourced our jobs.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:41 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,799 times
Quote:

Agreed.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:43 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You don't even need to lose your job. All it takes is a chronic illness or any number of medical problems really.

Medical bills underlie 60 percent of U.S. bankrupts: study | Reuters
Need to print out this article and hand to those who insist I run from one doctor to another, and take kids from doctor to doctor, to satisfy some idea of theirs they want validated. They keep sayig oh, don't you nave insurance? Insurance isn't a blank check, it doesn't pay everything, with deductibles, copays, and denied claims we're in debt thousands just for medical, and we have insurance.

I'm sick of schools insisting I take my kids here and there for evaluations, etc, if they want it, let them pay for it, I'm not risking homelessness to satisfy some teacher or school's whim!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
How much is enough to fall back on? I think one needs to realize this was 3.5 years ago BEFORE the recession was declared. Back in 2007 things weren't looking like they are now. Hindsight IS always 20/20. Also, she's at an age in which she grew up in an era where people could take off years to spend with their kids and still get back into the workforce. How was she to know?

Anyway, I left my job in 2009. I started in 2008. I quit after one day and they convinced me to stay on. I stayed on - HUGE MISTAKE ON MY PART. Back then jobs were easier to find but even taking that job really messed things up for me. Things are not always so cut and dried. I was turning into a nervous wreck and it just wasn't worth it, not to mention we were treated like crap and I feared an eventual termination for not meeting quota numbers (which was NOT part of the deal when I accepted the job).

I think we're seeing a real shift. Instead of blaming our fellow Americans, let's try blaming the greedy jerks who have outsourced our jobs.
She quit her job with nothing to fall back on to play with her kids for the summer.
If you have kids, you don't just assume you'll have a job when you go looking for it.
Really, how old was this person? If you have kids, you have greater responsibilities to care for them.
She should have known, she's not 16.

She was a teacher, her job wasn't outsourced.
Let's start asking people to provide a modicum of responsibility if they choose to breed.
Quit blaming others for stupid mistakes they made/make.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post

No, you blame who is to blame - which is yourself. It seems as if peer pressure got to you. Your initial gut reaction was to not take the job and yet you did after they "convinced" you to do so. So you left a year later, on your own terms. I only feel sorry for the people who had been with companies for more than 5 years who never saw a layoff coming. Those I can empathize with. Not the ones who just quit b/c they didn't like it. I mean, seriously? Who actually likes getting up at the same time doing the same damn thing everyday?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
But that wasn't the case in the example he used.

Yes, people in the US vote against their own best interest.
As you posted, most bankruptcies in the US are related to medical bills, yet these people fight against universal health care.
Just wait until they lose everything and then they'll be the first to whine.
As you posted above, people have responsibilities.

Some people happen to think their health care is an individual responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies