Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times

Advertisements

Feds threaten to sue states over union laws - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110114/ap_on_re_us/us_unions_secret_ballots - broken link)

Quote:
The National Labor Relations Board on Friday threatened to sue Arizona, South Carolina, South Dakota and Utah over constitutional amendments guaranteeing workers the right to a secret ballot in union elections.

The agency's acting general counsel, Lafe Solomon, said the amendments conflict with federal law, which gives employers the option of recognizing a union if a majority of workers sign cards that support unionizing.

The amendments, approved Nov. 2, have taken effect in South Dakota and Utah, and will do so soon in Arizona and South Carolina.

Business and anti-union groups sought the amendments, arguing that such secrecy is necessary to protect workers against union intimidation. They are concerned that Congress might enact legislation requiring employers to allow the "card check" process for forming unions instead of secret ballot elections.
Hope South Carolina also fights this lawsuit - I suspect they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Feds threaten to sue states over union laws - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110114/ap_on_re_us/us_unions_secret_ballots - broken link)

Hope South Carolina also fights this lawsuit - I suspect they will.
I think it's un American to not allow a person the right to secrecy when voting, whether a national election, or to choose whether or not to join a union.

The unions will indeed intimidate people, and even threaten them, if they think they might vote against the union. We know this is true, because it happens already everywhere. Union workers can be very violent when it comes to protecting their "rights" (which they have granted to themselves). I think it's time for unions to be outlawed (though it will never happen). Unions serve no useful purpose.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 AM

657 posts, read 697,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think it's time for unions to be outlawed (though it will never happen). Unions serve no useful purpose.
lol.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think it's un American to not allow a person the right to secrecy when voting, whether a national election, or to choose whether or not to join a union.

The unions will indeed intimidate people, and even threaten them, if they think they might vote against the union. We know this is true, because it happens already everywhere. Union workers can be very violent when it comes to protecting their "rights" (which they have granted to themselves). I think it's time for unions to be outlawed (though it will never happen). Unions serve no useful purpose.
I agree and as we see more and more companies flee union heavy states for those that are not, I wonder if these union pro people will get that?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
I agree and as we see more and more companies flee union heavy states for those that are not, I wonder if these union pro people will get that?
Oh yes you're right. Nobody ever thinks about the poor, poor companies. That is so mean!

Without unions, people like you would be slaves of the companies, with no rights whatsoever forced to work under horrible conditions. When will people like you get that?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:32 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Oh yes you're right. Nobody ever thinks about the poor, poor companies. That is so mean!

Without unions, people like you would be slaves of the companies, with no rights whatsoever forced to work under horrible conditions. When will people like you get that?
I'm not in a union and never worked in the conditions you describe.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:

I'm not union and have never worked in "horrible conditions" and as a matter of fact, have a fantastic job, get a really great salary, and have excellent benefits. So much for that theory, aye?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not union and have never worked in "horrible conditions" and as a matter of fact, have a fantastic job, get a really great salary, and have excellent benefits. So much for that theory, aye?
You have that because unions make sure that your employer cannot do whatever they want with you. It doesn't matter if you are in a union or not. Without unions your working life would be horribly. Just look at earlier times when there were no unions and workers had absolutely no rights. What would stop an employer from exploiting his employees and deny them basic economic justice? Do you really believe companies care about their employees at all? All they care about is making money and if they see a chance to make even more money at the expense of their employees then they will happily do that. That is why unions are a good thing.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
My brother had a great job in non union factory, can't work now because of medical issues. Fortunately for him this non union place also had excellent benefits so hes doing alright. Two things about that place, unions agitators and slackers would quickly be shown the door. Fortune 500 company where many have retired millionaires.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Without unions your working life would be horribly. Just look at earlier times when there were no unions and workers had absolutely no rights.
We have laws to prevent these things....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies