Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:21 AM

320 posts, read 290,363 times

Advertisements

I never really understood this issue. Were gays excluded from the military? Or just told to keep it to themselves?

If it was the latter then what was the big deal? Wouldn't being openly gay in the military be ALOT harder than being in the closet? I've had family in the military and it doesn't seem like a place you'd want to be open about something like that. I see nothing wrong with telling someone to keep that quiet. In actuality it will make that persons stint in the military much more pleasant wouldn't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
It's a different world now.

Line-crossing ceremony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-14-2011, 11:30 AM

499 posts, read 405,092 times
Quote:
If it was the latter then what was the big deal?
Because a double standard existed. Straight people could openly discuss their private lives without fear of consequences while gay people had to lie or lie by omission.

Gay people didn't keep quiet because it was easier, they kept quietly because they would lose their job if they didn't.

It is a simple matter of civil rights.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:31 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
I never really understood this issue. Were gays excluded from the military? Or just told to keep it to themselves?
Both.

If they wanted to avoid the former, they were told to do the latter.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:31 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,293,415 times
Yes, gays and lesbians were legally excluded from the military. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" tried to prevent witch-hunts, but if a person was discovered, s/he was still discharged.

The repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" isn't significant in and of itself. It's the legalization of gays and lesbians service members that is the real change.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,811 times
Default Don't ask. Don't tell.

It seems to be getting to the point that this "maxim" might need to apply to ALL FACETS OF ONE'S LIFE.

Neither an asker nor teller be.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
Because a double standard existed. Straight people could openly discuss their private lives without fear of consequences while gay people had to lie or lie by omission.

Gay people didn't keep quiet because it was easier, they kept quietly because they would lose their job if they didn't.

It is a simple matter of civil rights.
What about the showers?

What do we do? Have a women's, men's, and gay/bi/lesbian shower? I just think it seems to complicate things no?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
Quote:
What about the showers?

What do we do? Have a women's, men's, and gay/bi/lesbian shower? I just think it seems to complicate things no?
Are they gay people in the service now?
Are there gay showers now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Yes, gays and lesbians were legally excluded from the military. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" tried to prevent witch-hunts, but if a person was discovered, s/he was still discharged.

The repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" isn't significant in and of itself. It's really the legalization of gays and lesbians service members that is the real change.
And now you can't just walk into your commander's office, say "I'm gay!" and get a free out for that matter.

You used to could. Instant civilian.

I think it's great. People shouldn't have to hide who they are.

"Me and susan went out and had a movie and then went home and then we took the kids to the park. What'd you do on your weekend, John?"

"Nothing."

"Me and Susan went out and had a movie and then went home and then we took the kids to the park. What'd you do on your weekend, John?"

"Me and Charles went hiking on Saturday, and Sunday we caught some trout at the lake. It was an awesome weekend!"

Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

The repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" isn't significant in and of itself. It's the legalization of gays and lesbians service members that is the real change.
OK. I have no problem with that. If a gay or lesbian wants to serve their country then they should be allowed to. I just think it would be easier for them to stay in the closet. The military isn't the most understanding environment.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM

499 posts, read 405,092 times
Quote:
What about the showers?

At work, people conform to standards of acceptable behaviour. Among adults it shouldn't be an issue.

All these countries allow gays and lesbians to openly serve.

Problems are minimal to non-existent. If the rest of the world can manage I don't see why the USA should have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies