Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,842,447 times

Advertisements

I can tell there's no anger in your post, so I will be kind.

They said the same thing about Blacks. Won't fit in, too hard, can't work, etc.

http://hiptics.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/colin_powell.jpg (broken link)
They sure did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:41 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,301,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domination83 View Post
OK. I have no problem with that. If a gay or lesbian wants to serve their country then they should be allowed to. I just think it would be easier for them to stay in the closet. The military isn't the most understanding environment.
Non-disclosure, being discrete, and lying are totally different things. It's probable that the majority of gay and lesbian service members won't tell, at least not right away. However, that's not a legal issue. Some GLBT people choose not to be out at work, but that has no effect on whether or not they should be fired for being gay.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,180,147 times
Quote:
I never really understood this issue. Were gays excluded from the military? Or just told to keep it to themselves?

If it was the latter then what was the big deal? Wouldn't being openly gay in the military be ALOT harder than being in the closet? I've had family in the military and it doesn't seem like a place you'd want to be open about something like that. I see nothing wrong with telling someone to keep that quiet. In actuality it will make that persons stint in the military much more pleasant wouldn't you think?
Homosexuality in the military is opposed, as defined here in US Code 10 G 654

The reason why gays are opposed, for serving in the military, is because it makes it difficult to maintain order and discipline when a soldier is living and showering with the same gender he/she prefers to have sex with.

Women were not allowed in the military for many of the same reasons, but its much easier to separate men and women; a simple visual check is all it takes to figure out what barracks and shower they are assigned to.

To allow gays to serve openly, we would have to abandon the regulations which separate soldiers so they aren't living and showering with their preferred sexual gender. Either that, or we incur the huge logistical costs that would be involved in keeping the various gender variations apart.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 AM

499 posts, read 405,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Non-disclosure, being discrete, and lying are totally different things. It's probable that the majority of gay and lesbian service members won't tell, at least not right away. However, it's not a legal issue. Some GLBT people choose not to be out at work, but that has no effect on whether or no they should be fired for being gay.
I was just going to make this point. I agree.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,300,913 times
Quote:
What about the showers?

What do we do? Have a women's, men's, and gay/bi/lesbian shower? I just think it seems to complicate things no?
Check out one of the dozens of other threads where homophobes discuss this.
There are very few gang latrines in the military.

If there's someone gay in one, they've been showering with you if you knew it or not.
Trust me, most gays are not interested in straight people.

Ever go to a public gym, swimming pool, etc.
Oooooh, there are gay people there.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,091,534 times
Quote:
What about the showers?
What about them?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:51 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,091,534 times
Quote:
I just think it would be easier for them to stay in the closet.
I'm sure they are fully capable of figuring that out themselves.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Check out one of the dozens of other threads where homophobes discuss this.
There are very few gang latrines in the military.

If there's someone gay in one, they've been showering with you if you knew it or not.
Trust me, most gays are not interested in straight people.

Ever go to a public gym, swimming pool, etc.
Oooooh, there are gay people there.
It's also just a bit arrogant to think that just because you're around a gay person of the same sex that they're automatically going to want to have sex with you. Then, they get offended if you tell them that

I don't want to have sex with every man I come in contact with, if I were a lesbian I'd feel the same way about women.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
Quote:
OK. I have no problem with that. If a gay or lesbian wants to serve their country then they should be allowed to. I just think it would be easier for them to stay in the closet. The military isn't the most understanding environment.
Easier for who? Don't you think if the individual wants to stay in the closet, or thinks it would be easier to stay in the closet, they still can, just as in the civilian world?

Old 01-14-2011, 12:08 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
It seems to be getting to the point that this "maxim" might need to apply to ALL FACETS OF ONE'S LIFE.

Neither an asker nor teller be.
That's a bit like my take on anything to do with the government...

Keep your hand$ out of my pocket$ and your nose out of my a$$.

I'll even make it a Christian ethic government... Do unto others.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies