Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, whit folks get angry because for a lot of them, racism stops at words and actions based on those words (ie calling someone a *****r and then attacking them because they're black). That's the only way most white people see racism. Everything else is seen as "minimal" compared to the extreme, and eventually minimal gets reduced to "unimportant" or "unnoticeable". The civil rights movement also makes a lot of white people feel like this battle was already won/they've been there done that. Most white people aren't going to get it because they don't ever see themselves doing the kind of things that those videos from a few pages back depicted and because the media supports their ideas about minorities being more disposed to being criminals because they're minorities as opposed to because the vast majority of minorities committing violent crimes are also poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I see it all the time, in sports, entertainment and of course when I wake up. Whenever a black man plays the race card, you call him bitter, angry, or they should just be quiet and do what they are supposed to do.

Yet when a white person complains there counterparts usually follow up to correct the error. Or they are portrayed in a positive way. If a black man complains, it means he is a party pooper, an angry black man etc;.

It is almost like a double standard and it shows we truly not created equal. Race is a factor in everything and I don't understand why most white people try to disguise it like it is not happening or just turning a blind side.
I'm not white and I get angry when its brought up.

The Race card is nothing but an excuse. (98.9% of the time).

Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because most white people are not racist.

It's humiliating and angering when you are always portrayed as being as such.
Well, too many white people, think they're not racist, since they don't say the N word in public or wear white sheets.......
however, when they won't rent to blacks, try to stay away from them, other than saying hello and acting just friendly enough and give the stink eye to interracial couples and say stuff like Obama is not a real American.....
and then they still say they're not racist?
I just want to kick those people in the.........

Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
How did you come to that percentage? Are you a black born into middle class privilege in a majority black city in a majority black neighborhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I'm not white and I get angry when its brought up.

The Race card is nothing but an excuse. (98.9% of the time).

Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Well, too many white people, think they're not racist, since they don't say the N word in public or wear white sheets.......
however, when they won't rent to blacks, try to stay away from them, other than saying hello and acting just friendly enough and give the stink eye to interracial couples and say stuff like Obama is not a real American.....
And there are so many white people that claim they're "color blind" and then the next moment they disapprove of an interracial relationship or treat someone more poorly based on race without even realizing it.

Racism is by and large on the subconscious level these days and that's why we get people saying they're not racist and then being racist. They're not consciouslyi racist, but they are subconsciously racist. Of course, there are also plenty of people that are just plain consciously racist, but the bulk of racism today lies on the subconscious level.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 AM

168 posts, read 308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
Maybe we should start an organization that gives college scholarships only to white people.
Blacks have the UNCF. I chose the Army GI Bill. There was'nt an organization full of anger and dissent waiting to give me a scholarship based solely on my skin color. I had to volunteer to fight in a war to free a country held by fear and corruption.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Yes anyone who approves of Obama is a racist.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:25 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I see it all the time, in sports, entertainment and of course when I wake up. Whenever a black man plays the race card, you call him bitter, angry, or they should just be quiet and do what they are supposed to do.

Yet when a white person complains there counterparts usually follow up to correct the error. Or they are portrayed in a positive way. If a black man complains, it means he is a party pooper, an angry black man etc;.

It is almost like a double standard and it shows we truly not created equal. Race is a factor in everything and I don't understand why most white people try to disguise it like it is not happening or just turning a blind side.
Because it's just that? It's a card. It's a cop-out. And there's a double standard--when we try to do the same we're branded racist.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:33 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
And there are so many white people that claim they're "color blind" and then the next moment they disapprove of an interracial relationship or treat someone more poorly based on race without even realizing it.

Racism is by and large on the subconscious level these days and that's why we get people saying they're not racist and then being racist. They're not consciouslyi racist, but they are subconsciously racist. Of course, there are also plenty of people that are just plain consciously racist, but the bulk of racism today lies on the subconscious level.
Yes us evil crackers are so evil that we're racist without even thinking about it. I remember when I developed the racist part of my brain, it's in the part of the brain that is in charge of reflexes. I remember being diagnosed subconsciously racist by a shrink, but since he was white and also evil and racist he congratulated me. He told me it's an important development in the path from young innocent subconsciously racist white person to full on repressor of minorities. He recommended that I start a small business just so I can not hire minorities, or better yet, hire them and then fire them.

He was concerned however about to my development to evil whitey because I wasn't yet a Christian so I can't quite persecute EVERYONE just yet but due to the inherit evil nature of my skin hue I was on the right path. Don't worry fellow evil crackers on the forum, I'm training my daughter well, she's developing the racist portion of her brain quite well. I mean after all, we whites are so evil that we can't help it, it's a reflex.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 AM

774 posts, read 1,164,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
SLoRoller, do you allow prior experiences, help shape your opinion?
Of course I allow prior experiences to shape or influence my opinion. I just don't let prior experiences dictate my opinion. Particularly when I know I'm not dealing with exactly the same person in the same situation that I may have experienced with a different person (perhaps with similar characteristics or personality) in the same situation. I know enough to gather some data (conversation, observation, interaction) with the realization that this person is not necessarly the same as the other person I may have dealt with before.

In the "5th Sibling" example given, the teacher was absolutely in the wrong for assuming that the 5th sibling would be like the previous four. She made the assumption that he was just like the rest of them (wow, that has a familiar ring to it) without observing his behavior, having a conversation or gathering any information about that individual. These are the roots of prejudice. Not just racial prejudice, but any kind of prejudice. That's what prejudice is...to PRE-JUDGE a person without know anything about them. She assumed, based solely that he was from a particular family of individuals that she had problems with in the past, that he was just like the rest of the family. My life is living proof that this is an erroneous and dangerous assumption. She allowed her prior experiences to dictate her opinion, instead of forming it based on the behavior of that individual.

Last edited by SloRoller; 01-19-2011 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies