Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:20 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times

Advertisements

O.K.

People. I AM in Korea right now. The hoof and mouth disease (HMD) is a deadly serious problem here.
First. Stop the stupid analogies to WW2 death camps. This is a huge nation that is working very hard to feed itself. Believe me the Koreans are very smart people and the farmers were most unhappy with having to bury tens perhaps hundreds of millions of US Dollars worth of pork.
Second. The price of food here is high and beef and pork are pricey already. This will definitely cause a spike in prices that will hurt local economies.
Third. The Koreans to include Korean farmers are NOT sadists or "pig murders". Leave that type of talk to your college freshman. The Koreans would have come up with a better way if they could have. Would it have "looked" better to PETA types if the Koreans had shot....or "gassed" 1.4 million pigs? How about inoculation? They tried that, problem got too big too fast and incubation times for the disease out-paced efforts to contain the spread. The Koreans are desperately trying to prevent a huge collapse in the agricultural sector of their economy (which is thriving for the most part) and...
Last. There are sill Koreans that remember what starvation was like, a situation they don't want to be faced with again ever.
Are these measures harsh? Sure, no doubt. Unfortunately that's the way it is sometimes in life.
Is is harsh when in the US they gas unwanted puppies and kittens by the dumpster full? Yup. Is it harsh when in the US they kill "unwanted" wild horses out west? Sure is. It's harsh when you clear cut a forest so people can have wood for houses. It's harsh when fishing nets scoop up life by the ton.....so people can eat. Yes.
And, as humans live life further separated from the harsh realities that support them they will continue to foster the "dream-like" state of mind in themselves that allows them to be so judgmental of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:25 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Horrible. Kill them, but do so humanely. But then again being humane is far down the list of priorities to many, a sad statement itself.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:26 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
what about the whale boats and the dolphin coves where koreans filet them alive?

korea, and asia altogether have a horrible history with animal treatment.

again, im not a peta guy, i eat meat and I know where the line is between human and animal. but it gets to the point of when is enough enough.

im the same with circuses and zoos. would never take a kid if I had one to either of those places. If I want to see an animal in its natural environment, I will go on a safari or go to a refuge or something like that. A zoo is actually one of the most depressing places I've ever been to.

I still remember that giraffe sitting in that concrete jail cell. Thing couldn't even stand up straight the cage was so damn small. I mean, just put him out of his misery and euthanize him. That was some 15 years ago though.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
O.K.

People. I AM in Korea right now. The hoof and mouth disease (HMD) is a deadly serious problem here.
First. Stop the stupid analogies to WW2 death camps. This is a huge nation that is working very hard to feed itself. Believe me the Koreans are very smart people and the farmers were most unhappy with having to bury tens perhaps hundreds of millions of US Dollars worth of pork.
Second. The price of food here is high and beef and pork are pricey already. This will definitely cause a spike in prices that will hurt local economies.
Third. The Koreans to include Korean farmers are NOT sadists or "pig murders". Leave that type of talk to your college freshman. The Koreans would have come up with a better way if they could have. Would it have "looked" better to PETA types if the Koreans had shot....or "gassed" 1.4 million pigs? How about inoculation? They tried that, problem got too big too fast and incubation times for the disease out-paced efforts to contain the spread. The Koreans are desperately trying to prevent a huge collapse in the agricultural sector of their economy (which is thriving for the most part) and...
Last. There are sill Koreans that remember what starvation was like, a situation they don't want to be faced with again ever.
Are these measures harsh? Sure, no doubt. Unfortunately that's the way it is sometimes in life.
Is is harsh when in the US they gas unwanted puppies and kittens by the dumpster full? Yup. Is it harsh when in the US they kill "unwanted" wild horses out west? Sure is. It's harsh when you clear cut a forest so people can have wood for houses. It's harsh when fishing nets scoop up life by the ton.....so people can eat. Yes.
And, as humans live life further separated from the harsh realities that support them they will continue to foster the "dream-like" state of mind in themselves that allows them to be so judgmental of others.
Just one thing.

I wasn't using WWII concentration camps as an analogy. That would be the only thing off the top of my head where millions of biological organisms were buried alive, or shortly after their deaths. As such, someone who was there would have much more of a insight to know whether or not that could cause blood to come up from the ground and into the water table.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:48 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
O.K.

A very enlightening post. Thank you.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
I do understand the scope of the problem, but still nothing less, this is so sad. Wish there were a better way to combat this terrible problem. Just hope the pigs do not suffer, i am an avid animal lover, and wish the end for the pigs were done humanely.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
umm jewel, they are being buried alive. im sure many die on contact and others are killed from landing on one another. it will be a pretty gruesome death though.

while i understand something has to be done, what they are doing though is probably going to lead to more problems with contamination.

and dont call me a peta lover guys. im actually about to eat a hot dog.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Absolutely disgusting. Another "byproduct" of humans' insatiable needs. We will one day completely destroy this world and every living organism on it, ourselves included. The human species, as a whole, has no regard for any life other than its own.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
How would y'all propose killing 1.4 million pigs quickly?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:23 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How would y'all propose killing 1.4 million pigs quickly?
Exactly.

Can't have flowery solutions to all the problems. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies