Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to post this, and since it pertains to all regions of the country, I guess I will put it here.

Why are there so many threads going on about race? I just recently started browsing this forum, and never before realized how important race is to people. Why are so many people set on living in an area with a high percentage of people sharing their ethnicity? I currently live in Pittsburgh, and am one of two white people in my apartment building. The thought of moving to an Irish (my ethnicity), or even 'white' neighborhood never even crossed my mind. I didn't think people (especially in more liberal areas, such as cities) had an issue with race relations any more. I don't exactly know what my question is, I guess I am just wondering why so many people go and look for an ethnic neighborhood, then complain about racism and issues of segregation. If someone seeks out a black, white, hispanic, irish, (whatever) neighborhood, aren't they just promoting segregation?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 02:10 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If someone seeks out a black, white, hispanic, irish, (whatever) neighborhood, aren't they just promoting segregation?
I was under the impression that segregation was when one racial group was prohibited from living/working/etc. with another racial group.

By choosing to live in a homogenous neighborhood, you aren't promoting segregation, although you certainly aren't helping to fix de facto segregation, either.

By the way, "Racism" is the hatred of people of a different race. Rather than using the word correctly, people on C-D like to use it as a catch-all for anything involving bigotry, stereotyping, or inequality. I encourage you to not do so.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:42 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
Maybe they've already lived in those other areas and were discriminated against. I know what you're talking about as far as people asking about looking for places to live etc. I've heard it on all sides and each person seemed to have a legitimate reason for asking.

*And I would never force myself or my family to live in a place because of race or orientation just to be politically correct.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:29 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
Quote:
I wasn't sure where to post this, and since it pertains to all regions of the country, I guess I will put it here.

Why are there so many threads going on about race? I just recently started browsing this forum, and never before realized how important race is to people. Why are so many people set on living in an area with a high percentage of people sharing their ethnicity? I currently live in Pittsburgh, and am one of two white people in my apartment building. The thought of moving to an Irish (my ethnicity), or even 'white' neighborhood never even crossed my mind. I didn't think people (especially in more liberal areas, such as cities) had an issue with race relations any more. I don't exactly know what my question is, I guess I am just wondering why so many people go and look for an ethnic neighborhood, then complain about racism and issues of segregation. If someone seeks out a black, white, hispanic, irish, (whatever) neighborhood, aren't they just promoting segregation?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Such a simple question that has such a complex answer. My advice would to try and take in some AA history classes at your local university especially classes focused on economics and development/housing. You'll find your answers why people liver where they live and act the way they do.....

Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 PM

532 posts, read 1,232,105 times
Chicago is still very geographically racially segregated. People in the suburbs are paranoid that if african americans move nearby, it will hurt their property value

Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
I didn't think people (especially in more liberal areas, such as cities) had an issue with race relations any more.
Although you may not care about race, that certainly isn't the case for the majority of people in your city. Pittsburgh is very racially segregated just like many other cities in the east/mid-west. Just walk from Shady/Forbes to Shady/penn. It will be majority white until you hit shady/penn and then its majority black. How does that happen if people don't care about race in cities?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 AM

21 posts, read 118,575 times
i think people dont wanna take chances, people would rather live in a homogenous community than in a racial diverse one just to avoid problems and sleep tight at night. it wouldent hurt my feelings if i live in a mixed area but still, i would prefer an area that makes me feel comfortable.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:38 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
It all boils down to culture. Individuals are generally more comfortable living near those who are culturally similar because of common interests, lifestyles, and activities. Once certain particular races start conforming more to the American culture, race relations will improve and segregation and stereotyping will diminish.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
By the way, "Racism" is the hatred of people of a different race. Rather than using the word correctly, people on C-D like to use it as a catch-all for anything involving bigotry, stereotyping, or inequality. I encourage you to not do so.
Anon, I was asking a question about an issue, I did not want to debate terminology, but if that is what you want to do, fine.

From Random House Unabridged Dictionary

rac•ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

While to could be hatred, it definitely does not have to be. Please get your facts straight before you post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid
Although you may not care about race, that certainly isn't the case for the majority of people in your city. Pittsburgh is very racially segregated just like many other cities in the east/mid-west. Just walk from Shady/Forbes to Shady/penn. It will be majority white until you hit shady/penn and then its majority black. How does that happen if people don't care about race in cities?
Humanoid, I guess you are right about Pittsburgh. I live just a few blocks from the intersection of Shady/Penn (on Penn and Negley), and it is mainly black. I have always viewed the problems in cities as problems between classes (rich and poor, white and blue collar), with race not really playing a huge card.

Mamluk - I think you got it right. People get comfortable somewhere, and have this rigidity; an unwillingness to try something different.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:05 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Anon, I was asking a question about an issue, I did not want to debate terminology, but if that is what you want to do, fine.

From Random House Unabridged Dictionary

rac•ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

While to could be hatred, it definitely does not have to be. Please get your facts straight before you post again.

Either way, I see nothing about segregation or a preference to live amongst one's own race under any of these definitions....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies