Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The more compelling reason is LABOR COST. There is no tax policy in the world that can mitigate the fact that in some cases the cost of labor in other countries TEN TIMES lower than in the United States.
It's more than just labor costs, energy costs will play a factor. The Chinese put online a new coal plant every few weeks, these panels will be made cheaply with energy derived from coal and shipped here so we can have more expensive electricity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Ouh, oh, looks like we missed out on a golden opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a growing solar panel bubble. When will we ever learn? You can't lose your shirt if you don't heavily invest in a worthless technology propped up by transient government subsidies before the price drops.
Mark my words. I'm ready this time. I've been saving my money and there is no way I'm missing out when the government pulls a stunt similar to manipulating the housing market.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
This was yet another example of Liberal idealogues making taxpayers pay for their politics.
Deval Patrick our wonderful governor gave this company 60 million in taxpayer subsidies, loans, grants, and land deals so that Mass could lead the way in green technologies. This was a little over three years ago. Now this company is laying off 800 workers and shipping the work to China. To top it off, they owe nothing to the state due to lack of foresight.
Deval also pushed for and got the nation's first offshore windfarm. It is estimated that this windfarm will cost 6 billion dollars to build and that Mass ratepayers will foot this bill to the tune of a 10% increase in electricity costs. The cost of the electricity is double that of traditional sources and 60% more than wind power that can be purchased from Canadian windfarms. But again Deval wants Mass to lead the way in green tech.
As I said, the taxpayers of Mass will pay through the nose for our governor's political views.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Mark my words. I'm ready this time. I've been saving my money and there is no way I'm missing out when the government pulls a stunt similar to manipulating the housing market.

GE?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Any busines recieving government support MUST be required to remain in the State or country for at least a decade or be fined 200% of the subsudy. It is past time we gave these theives a free ride.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Any busines recieving government support MUST be required to remain in the State or country for at least a decade or be fined 200% of the subsudy. It is past time we gave these theives a free ride.
I have better idea, drop the mandates and subsidies and everything else that makes these ventures popular and you can watch Greentech go out of business.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Why? So we can burn more coal?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:25 AM

What is your solution Greg? If it's not a US company making them in China it would be a Chinese company making them in China. Either way we lose.

Quote:
In January a company came to me about having all of our stoves made in China. They would be shipped to LLS boxed and ready to sell. This at a much bigger profit than I could ever make working the way we do. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AS LONG AS I OWN LLS. I DON'T CARE HOW FAR BEHIND WE GET. THANKS. This is a great country and forum.
That's a direct quote from the owner of a company that makes coal stoves here in the US, every manufacturer here in the US faces the same thing.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
What gives the people of the U.S the right to decide where something gets manufactured in a global economy?

A corporation should have the right to set up it's manufacturing in any country that it desires.

And the American people have the right to look out for the interests of themselves and the nation as a whole. Americans that are ultra rich, who get themselves even richer by bringing down those around them, who those that are ultra rich also decide war and policy that the everyday American pays the price for in terms of life lost and economic loss, at some point need to be called out. Otherwise the future of America will be a few American barons who were able to cash in on globalism, while the majority of Americans will no longer be middle class but reduced to social equalism of lower standards to the world. I doubt the people in mass will be very patriotic or happy with that kind of America. Scenarios like that is what spawns people like Castro and Chavez.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:20 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Solar energy is not yet ready for prime time. BTW, if someone was making solar panels, 0bama would view them as a part of the evil rich, and then tax and regulate them out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies