Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times

Advertisements

This is probably not politically correct and whatnot but here goes. I think that every time an American commits suicide there should be an extra spot open to immigrants to get a green card.

I think there should be a contest open. The applicant should submit an essay saying why he wants to immigrate and as many legit references as possible.

Preferences should go to Canadian citizens, and people who have a car and money saved up so the transition will minimize the cost to the US government.

I wonder if I could write this to some congressperson or something.

Huh? Tons of immigrants just come here illegally anyway, so what would it matter. Our immigration laws are a joke really. I don't think there are many Canadians that would even want to come here.

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Huh? Tons of immigrants just come here illegally anyway, so what would it matter. Our immigration laws are a joke really. I don't think there are many Canadians that would even want to come here.
Have some respect for your country

That would really make a dent, huh?

Is this supposed to be some sort of zero-sum game? Why just every time an American commits suicide? Why not whenever an American dies of any cause? But how do you factor in our birth rate? And why is having a car a criteria? We have too many here already! If the suicide victim owned a car, would your algorithim require it to be destroyed? And why should Canadian citizens get priority? Because they are closer? Sorry, I just can't follow your logic in any of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Is this supposed to be some sort of zero-sum game? Why just every time an American commits suicide? Why not whenever an American dies of any cause? But how do you factor in our birth rate? And why is having a car a criteria? We have too many here already! If the suicide victim owned a car, would your algorithim require it to be destroyed? And why should Canadian citizens get priority? Because they are closer? Sorry, I just can't follow your logic in any of this...
Yes, it was just a thought. I know it has no logic. But the main reason I was thinking about it was, 1) I was reading about recent suicides in the US and 2) I was talking with friends who happen to live in Canada and overseas, in Eastern Europe. As an outsider looking in, so to speak, a lot of educated people admire and appreciate United States. A lot of Canadians do as well, and technically since Canadians are closer and speak the same language. It would be nice to see bigger integration between the two countries. The suicide statistic just makes me wonder - if there are people who have decided to end it all in the country with the most opportunity in the world - it seems foolish to deny educated and willing people from other parts of the world that opportunity as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
I think there should be a contest open. The applicant should submit an essay saying why he wants to immigrate and as many legit references as possible.

Preferences should go to Canadian citizens, and people who have a car and money saved up so the transition will minimize the cost to the US government.
This is essentially the way it already works. Applicants fill out a form which basically attempts to explain why they are a good candidate to receive a work visa/temporary residence. Naturally, though it probably isn't official, citizens from certain countries are probably favored over others. A car may not play into it but how much money is in your bank account certainly does.

Quote:
Yes, it was just a thought. I know it has no logic. But the main reason I was thinking about it was, 1) I was reading about recent suicides in the US and 2) I was talking with friends who happen to live in Canada and overseas, in Eastern Europe. As an outsider looking in, so to speak, a lot of educated people admire and appreciate United States. A lot of Canadians do as well, and technically since Canadians are closer and speak the same language. It would be nice to see bigger integration between the two countries. The suicide statistic just makes me wonder - if there are people who have decided to end it all in the country with the most opportunity in the world - it seems foolish to deny educated and willing people from other parts of the world that opportunity as well..
Apparently you have not heard about our economy? My house loses about $2 thousand/month in value.

Quote:
Yes, it was just a thought. I know it has no logic. But the main reason I was thinking about it was, 1) I was reading about recent suicides in the US and 2) I was talking with friends who happen to live in Canada and overseas, in Eastern Europe. As an outsider looking in, so to speak, a lot of educated people admire and appreciate United States. A lot of Canadians do as well, and technically since Canadians are closer and speak the same language. It would be nice to see bigger integration between the two countries.
I must say that I'm haven't felt the love. I traveled the world about 4 years ago, and of all the abuse that we were dealt from other countries, those from Canada handed out about half of it. I refuse to counter attack, b/c we met many kind Canadians as well, but I didn't get the feeling that most Canadians admire and appreciate us. I did get the feeling that most people are too decent to blame citizens for the excesses of its government.

Quote:
The suicide statistic just makes me wonder - if there are people who have decided to end it all in the country with the most opportunity in the world - it seems foolish to deny educated and willing people from other parts of the world that opportunity as well..
We have had so many great economic opps in our short history that we've neglected much of our social responsibilities and suicide is just one symptom of our failing, albeit the most shocking. Do you really want that? And now even our economy sucks, so opps are drying up, but maybe we'll learn to take care of our own before things turn around. I'm not saying that you're not welcome here, but I'm asking all to look at what they're getting into when they come here because I'm sure it's a tough and expensive project and if you have close family and friends at home, they are worth more than any economic opportunity. Ry Cooder said it all in his great song, Across the Borderline.

Last edited by skinem; 01-19-2011 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies