Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 02:00 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times

Advertisements

christian bed and breakfast? WTF is that? are there like group readings of the bible by the fireplace in the evenings or what?
Stupid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Erm how? They can't refuse a straight couple either- those 'gay only' establishments are in the strictest sense more gay friendly like gay bars/clubs etc. You get lots of straight people in those.
I actually wonder about the validity of that "straight couples asked to leave gay resort" article, since it even says ALLEGED in the title... not to mention it wasn't a real article, just a blogged summary on a political website. If it did actually happen, I can tell you that's an incredibly rare type of situation (unlike the opposite scenario).

Case in point: If you go down Castro Street (the unofficial gay district) in San Francisco, you'll see a good number of businesses flying the rainbow flag above their shop/cafe/etc. This means "we are GLBT friendly and/or owned," but they'd never ask anyone to leave because they're heterosexual - I've been to more than my share of gay establishments, and not ONCE have I been refused service for being straight. So when silas said tolerance is a one-way street to homosexuals, it only tells me he hasn't interacted with many gay people.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I live in the USA, if a gay couple was turned away from a B&B here in the USA would the same thing happen? law suits and such or is the B&B protected?
Has there been gay's turned away from B&B's here? Hotels here?
Are we allowed to turn someone away because they are gay?
In some places, yes you are... and also yes to this happening in the US. I'd have to dig around for a link, but I distinctly remember reading a story about it - where a gay couple was traveling cross-country (thus had few options in terms of hotels/motels along the way), and got turned away or refused single beds in more than one place.

FYI: Here's an interesting article on the "right to refuse service" in businesses... http://www.legalzoom.com/us-law/equa...refuse-service

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-20-2011 at 03:11 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
If you hook up with a dude on a Thursday and a dudette on Friday, you're bi. If you're married to a member of the opposite sex for a period of time, end that marriage and then enter a long term monogamous relationship with a member of the same sex, you have chosen to be gay. I personally know a few people that have done this very thing. For many people, sexuality is much more fluid than you seem to think.
Um, no... it just means they were living in denial, and finally decided to accept their true orientation. Sexuality isn't a "fluid" thing, although it can be rather complicated - read up on the Kinsey scale of sexuality if you're interested.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:21 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Maybe the owners were just concerned about the sensitivities of the other clientel. If they had other guests (maybe with children) who they knew would be offended, it would be awkward. I know how DH and I would feel if we stayed at a place with our daughters when they were children, and a gay couple was in the next room. My youngest used to ask ENDLESS questions about stuff like that when she was a child, and wasn't very subtle (or PC). When they were in school, they didn't teach about alternative lifestyles, and I certainly wouldn't have to end up instructing them about it while on vacation.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Maybe the owners were just concerned about the sensitivities of the other clientel. If they had other guests (maybe with children) who they knew would be offended, it would be awkward. I know how DH and I would feel if we stayed at a place with our daughters when they were children, and a gay couple was in the next room. My youngest used to ask ENDLESS questions about stuff like that when she was a child, and wasn't very subtle (or PC). When they were in school, they didn't teach about alternative lifestyles, and I certainly wouldn't have to end up instructing them about it while on vacation.
Maybe you should be grateful, as it gave you a chance to explain how people are different... and how it's not right to judge those who are different from you. I'm sorry, but if we "considered" the delicate sensibilities of EVERY business patron, it would be pretty difficult to serve anyone. If I tell a hotel owner I don't like Christians, should they kick out every Christian patron to accommodate me?? Or what if somebody doesn't like that I'm Jewish? Heck no, you're not telling me to leave because somebody there is an anti-Semite.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:43 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
The time frame I'm speaking of (when my daughters were children) was almost 20 years ago. This lifestyle was not out in the open (at least where we live) and there was no need to "explain" it to young children. They were not raised to be prejudiced against it, it was just never discussed, they were never exposed to it and never knew it existed until they were in their teens. I don't care what consenting adults do behind closed doors, they could be a martian and a mermaid for all I care.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 AM

499 posts, read 405,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That's not what I was doing. Several posters said, in essence: "these gays knew full well that the B&B didn't accommodate gays, so it was pretty gross of them to go there nonetheless, in violation of the B&B rules, and try to force their beliefs on this nice Christian couple".

To me that sounds somewhat similar to some black people in 1960 going to a restaurant they knew full well didn't accommodate blacks and demand to be served despite the beliefs and rules of the restaurant owners.

See the similarity? I never equated race with sexual "preference" (I think you meant to say orientation).
I agree with you. Why should they have pandered to the owner's bigotry?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:25 AM

499 posts, read 405,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This is where I think the law goes against a persons religious rights. There is a place where these two cannot meet. God holds us responsible for what goes on under our roof and I agree with the inn keeper. They can go wallow in the hay if they want to, but not under my roof.

It seems to be all right to stomp over a persons religious beliefs and I think the laws are wrong to make a person go against their conscience. It is a violation of the owners right to have a respectable Bed and Breakfast. Having that couple there would make everybody in the house uncomfortable. A bed and breakfast is a closer association than just a hotel room.

This law is having a little too much government control over lives.
One could argue that since religious freedoms are protected under the same law, at least everyone's life is being "interfered with" to the same degree.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
They knew what the house rules were when they attempted to rent a room. They were obviously trying to start a controversy. It's a private business; they can refuse service to whomever they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies