Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In order to be dominated by any type of person or culture or whatever one wants to call it, they have to comprised of a majority population. Although hipsters may be the media darlings at the moment regarding Portland, they are not the majority of the population and are therefore not the dominating populations of these cities. I do not live in Seattle but I believe this is true of that city as well.

Since I actually live in Portland, and this poster does not, I think my assessment is more accurate.
Portland is an awesome liberal city, the hipsters there are more just the representation of young people living there, but the majority of people are much more well rounded environmentally minded local focused people.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I mentioned Lafayette, LA as a conservative city with a lot of energy, vitality, and culture - i.e., coolness. I've never been there, but have just finished a couple of books about Acadiana and its history. Lafayette is a good example of a city with a strong historical core identity (Acadian/Cajun and Catholic) but at the same time tolerant of other influences that fit with what's already there. It's conservatism is both political and cultural, but it has plenty of what I think hipsters like to call "grit".
I have family there. What makes Lafayette "conservative?" Do you mean politically conservative? It has a very heavy black population. Are they conservative too?

BTW...its a nice town. Very nice. I couldn't live there personally, but it has stuff to offer if you like that type of thing.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Gay people help make a city cool ... because gay people are a significant factor in the arts, music, entertainment, restaurant, cafe, home, and architecture segment of society. Gay people are not welcome in "conservative cities."

If examples of "cool conservative cities" are places like Oklahoma City and Lafayette, LA ... my question is: how many tourists - both North American and International - flock to those places? How do they compare to NYC, LA, San Francisco, Miami, Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Honolulu, Washington, Philly or Portland?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Why is it such common knowledge to think conservative cities & towns can't be as hip as more liberal places, especially with the younger generations?

I've often wondered this.

Is it because liberal cities have more of a "live & let live" attitude about them vs. conservative cities which tend to put family & God first?

Progressive doesn't always equal liberal. There are some very progressive (economically & technologically speaking) conservative cities out there. I live in one.
Do you mean a places like Provo, Utah or Idaho Falls? No.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Gay people help make a city cool ... because gay people are a significant factor in the arts, music, entertainment, restaurant, cafe, home, and architecture segment of society. Gay people are not welcome in "conservative cities."

If examples of "cool conservative cities" are places like Oklahoma City and Lafayette, LA ... my question is: how many tourists - both North American and International - flock to those places? How do they compare to NYC, LA, San Francisco, Miami, Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Honolulu, Washington, Philly or Portland?
Indeed, I agree but let's not forget the unfortunate "conservative" gays of the Lincoln Log variety. Bless their hearts. Talk about voting against your own self interest.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 PM

408 posts, read 607,543 times
There are plenty of conservative people & institutions that have made attempts at being ''cool''.

They failed miserably, every damn time. That should answer your question.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
"Can conservative cities be as cool as their liberal counter parts?"

If you got'em post'em.

I was going to say if there was one it would be Nashville... but Nashville has a Democrat as Mayor so never mind.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
The progressive cities like Detroit and Chicago? OMG

Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The progressive cities like Detroit and Chicago? OMG
Chicago is amazing. Have you ever been there?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 AM

554 posts, read 608,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
You got Houston, Dalla, and San Antonio from texas, they have populations over one million.

Many of the vocal politicians from there are conservatives.
Houston is far far far from being conservative. It's more like the San Francisco of Texas (with guns). To begin with, we have an openly lesbian mayor. The city votes Democrat by a large margin. And it has a very vibrant cultural life. I find the live-and-let-live attitude here to be much more "real" and pervasive than other places I've lived, like Seattle. I've never had a problem here being openly gay, by, for instance, showing affection to my partner in public.

Now, Dallas is a whole other matter. It's very close to Oklahoma, and much more conservative than Houston. Which is why I avoid Dallas at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies