Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:26 AM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times

Advertisements

I would consider Scottsdale a relatively conservative (fiscally) city that is also looked at as being socially trendy (upscale shopping, resorts, nightlife, art galleries).

Scottsdale, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-22-2011, 12:10 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
No, Denver is nothing like Seattle in terms of liberalism. But it does lean left, like virtually every other big city. It's more of a libertarian sort of politics, though, and certainly nothing like what you'll find on either of the coasts.

The suburbs are indeed very conservative. So when I say that Denver is conservative, I'm talking about the area more generally. I don't think that Denver is "cool," as least not in an MTV way, but it's nevertheless a great place to live. And I'd take that over "coolness" anyway.
Wrong again. The Denver suburbs are not "very conservative." Out of the 7 metro counties, the only one that is solidly Republican is Douglas County (I suspect this has alot to do with the fact that Douglas County is one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S.). The political landscape in Colorado has been changing significantly in recent years (split almost evenly but has been leaning to the left in the last few elections). If Denver weren't cool in an "MTV" way, then why did they choose Denver as the location of The Real World a few years back?

Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Conservative/liberal doesn't necessarily mean Democrat or Republican. Some deep blue cities in the South and in the rust belt are very socially conservative, but have a lot of minorities and blue dog Democrats. I would consider Orange County (a red county) more inviting for gays than I would Detroit, the most Democratic county in America.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:22 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Wrong again. The Denver suburbs are not "very conservative." Out of the 7 metro counties, the only one that is solidly Republican is Douglas County (I suspect this has alot to do with the fact that Douglas County is one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S.). The political landscape in Colorado has been changing significantly in recent years (split almost evenly but has been leaning to the left in the last few elections). If Denver weren't cool in an "MTV" way, then why did they choose Denver as the location of The Real World a few years back?
I agree I can only think of a few Denver suburbs that could actually be described as conservative and even those areas are fairly socially liberal. The Denver area is becoming more and more liberal every day. People that claim that Denver is conservative have a serious screw loose. Denver itself hasn't voted republican since the early 1970's..When you factor in the top inmigration areas to Denver which are Southern California and Boulder area..there is only one definitive conclusion..As far as hip..Denver is mtv hip..every hard core, big air, snow boarding hipster with a medical marijuna card at least has Denver on their radar...

Last edited by Scott5280; 01-22-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 02:52 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Never seen a place (in the world) where for example a conservative style of dress would be considered "cool" or "hip" to a "trendy" progressive style of clothing.
actually at most Southern colleges, it's considered cool & "fratty" to dress in a conservative fashion.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:11 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Conservative/liberal doesn't necessarily mean Democrat or Republican. Some deep blue cities in the South and in the rust belt are very socially conservative, but have a lot of minorities and blue dog Democrats. I would consider Orange County (a red county) more inviting for gays than I would Detroit, the most Democratic county in America.
Precisely. This is a very good point.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:35 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
tmac9wr, in response to you blanket statements based on obviously not knowing anything about Idaho
It was more of a joke about Idaho...it falls into the category of one of the lesser-known states in the country along with many other states in the Upper-Rocky Mountain/Midwest Region.

Quote:
You said Denver is close to the Rockies, and Boise is in Idaho..you got that part right. Don't you realize Idaho is a Rocky Mountain State too with beauty as grand as Colorado? Idaho has alpine wilderness areas of mountains and forests larger than the state of Massachusetts and most New England states combined, and some of that is right by Boise.

Have you ever been to Idaho or just basing your opinion on assumptions?
Most of it was based off Napoleon Dynamite actually. Are you trying to say I can't go and learn the ancient art of Rex Kwon Do if I visit Idaho?

Quote:
Boise a hot bed for neo nazis? Wrong...are you basing this opinion on sensationalistic USA news sources? I have never heard that, but maybe a few eastern news sources that do not do proper research may say that. You are more likley to see more skinheads/neo nazis in Portland or Seattle than anywhere in the entire state of Idaho.
Well I guess it's not what it used to be...but here's a couple things I found:

Source
From the 1970s to 2001, the Aryan Nations headquarters was in a 20-acre compound 1.8 miles North of Hayden Lake, Idaho...

And apparently a tiny group resurfaced recently. Source.

So the notion of Nazis in Idaho wasn't totally unfounded.

Again, it was more of a joke than anything. I was poking fun at the fact that another poster was talking about how crazy things are in these other cities are while portraying the other cities to be some sort of heavenly oases.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:57 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Well I guess it's not what it used to be...but here's a couple things I found:

Source
From the 1970s to 2001, the Aryan Nations headquarters was in a 20-acre compound 1.8 miles North of Hayden Lake, Idaho...

And apparently a tiny group resurfaced recently. Source.

So the notion of Nazis in Idaho wasn't totally unfounded.

Again, it was more of a joke than anything. I was poking fun at the fact that another poster was talking about how crazy things are in these other cities are while portraying the other cities to be some sort of heavenly oases.
Well okay, you're just picking jokes at Idaho...But Hayden Lake is about an 8 hour drive to the north of Boise way up in the Panhandle close to the Canadian border. It's not really that connected to what goes on in Boise.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:17 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,880,049 times
I don't think so, but it depends on the person and what he or she thinks is "cool". Growing up in a very conservative metro, god, family and country are very important to alot of people. Most here tend not to care about Birmingham's coolness factor, especially if it comes from a liberal perspective.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I remember the Real World in Denver. And I remember how most of the people here thought it was either a mistake or a joke.

And, by the way, Denver has always been mostly Democrat while the suburbs have always been mostly Republican. If you've been here longer than 10 years then you should know that the area's politics have actually not changed much at all. Obama might have won in 2008, but so did Clinton in 1992. I think that most people from any similarly sized city would agree that Denver is a fairly conservative area, at least much more so than places like Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis and other cities in the same "league" as Denver. Denver is politically similar to Nashville, Charlotte, Dallas, Phoenix, and Las Vegas.

It's easy to look at a red/blue map and make your conclusions. But doing that can make you believe that Nashville or any other major US city is bleeding-heart liberal. If you'd call Nashville liberal, then I"ll give you Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies